U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 07:17 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times

Advertisements

Brazil: migration flows reversed | beyondbrics | News and views on emerging markets from the Financial Times

Brazil's Immigration Surges 52 Percent: Daily Update | The Rio Times | Brazil News

According to these two articles....there are now 2 million foreigners living in Brazil, and there are approximately 2 million Brazilians living/working abroad...

Apparently there were 4 million abroad, but about half returned with sour economies abroad.

Interesting, for sure! Not sure how accurate those stats are in the articles, but interesting nontheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 10:33 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
Interesting article, but I think Brasil has always had a higher flow of immigrants than the other countries. Look at the old German colonies in the south of brasil etc etc . Not anything against your article, but I think it is something that has always been going on.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:26 PM

3,500 posts, read 4,956,546 times
After Brazil's economy soured several years, ago, I understand that Japan encouraged several thousand Brazilians of Japanese ancestry to emigrate there. However these free-wheeling emigrants had difficulty conforming to Japan's language, diet, and societal customs, and many returned to Brazil. This is unfortunate, since Japan has such a top-heavy aged population, and needs all the young working-age people it can get.

Many Argentines around the same time, emigrated to Spain and Italy, with greater success, since they found a more similar culture and language there.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:14 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,741,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
After Brazil's economy soured several years, ago, I understand that Japan encouraged several thousand Brazilians of Japanese ancestry to emigrate there. However these free-wheeling emigrants had difficulty conforming to Japan's language, diet, and societal customs, and many returned to Brazil. This is unfortunate, since Japan has such a top-heavy aged population, and needs all the young working-age people it can get.

Many Argentines around the same time, emigrated to Spain and Italy, with greater success, since they found a more similar culture and language there.
but probably many Argentines would consider move back to their own country considering the way most of europe is heading thesedays.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:09 PM

2,189 posts, read 4,714,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I read that they specifically issued visas for Brazilians of Japanese decent. Because that was the only source of overseas immigrants of Japanese decent and they wanted to keep Japan "pure", so they did this. Japan is heavily racist. They don't want anybody else in there. If they really wanted to, they could attract enough immigrants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
but probably many Argentines would consider move back to their own country considering the way most of europe is heading thesedays.
Greece accounts for 2% of Europe's economy. So, no, it's not "most of Europe". Spain has issues, of course, and maybe they are moving back. Who knows.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I read that they specifically issued visas for Brazilians of Japanese decent. Because that was the only source of overseas immigrants of Japanese decent and they wanted to keep Japan "pure", so they did this. Japan is heavily racist. They don't want anybody else in there. If they really wanted to, they could attract enough immigrants.
I've heard those stereotypes often.

I'm in Japan though, and there are a ton of mixed marriages everywhere, and a ton of mixed kids. Significantly more than I saw when I lived in South Korea for many years.

Granted most of the marriages are Japanese with Filipinos of Chinese, but I read something like 1 in 20 marriages in Japan, as of late, have been Japanese with non-Japanese partners.

On another note, connecting this back to Brazil. There are a ton of Brazilians (and Peruvians) in Japan. I've easily met 100s and 100s, especially whenever I visit Nagoya. Up in that area, many of the subway signs are not only in Japanese and English, but also in Portuguese.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:28 PM

230 posts, read 782,708 times
Brazil has been an immigrant country since 1808 when the it became head of the Portuguese empire. Before then it had been a closed colony where almost all immigration came from Portugal. Immigration has ebbed and flowed during that time. Immigration mostly stopped in about the 1970´s although there are still a lot of old people who are first generation. I would say in my building about 20 percent of the people are portuguese immigrants. Either directly from Portugal or those who left Africa during de-colonization. Basically most of the old people in my building have funny Portuguese accents. But I live in a neighborhood that was traditionally portuguese and spanish. In the last few years we have seen a lot more immigrants here in Rio. Many more non-japanese asian, african, and bolivian. Of course the levels here don't come close to what they are in Sao Paulo and the level of immigrants in Sao Paulo doesn't even come close to what it is in the US, Canada, or some parts of Europe.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:20 PM

2,189 posts, read 4,714,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've heard those stereotypes often.

I'm in Japan though, and there are a ton of mixed marriages everywhere, and a ton of mixed kids. Significantly more than I saw when I lived in South Korea for many years.

Granted most of the marriages are Japanese with Filipinos of Chinese, but I read something like 1 in 20 marriages in Japan, as of late, have been Japanese with non-Japanese partners.

On another note, connecting this back to Brazil. There are a ton of Brazilians (and Peruvians) in Japan. I've easily met 100s and 100s, especially whenever I visit Nagoya. Up in that area, many of the subway signs are not only in Japanese and English, but also in Portuguese.
The statistics I saw said Japan is 98.5% Japanese, and a couple of Chinese and Koreans. Not sure where you see all those non-Japanese. About 200 000 Brazilians of Japanese decent supposedly moved there in the 90's. Only 15 000 naturalizations each year. It's a homogeneous country. They also had a documentary on CNN once where they talked about this. don't think it's much of a "stereotype". And the NY Times had a few articles about this, too. Besides, I have had many people telling me this ( who have been there ). I am also frequently told you're gonna be popular if you are white. Or at least they will treat you better. And I just looked it up - their net migration rate is "0 migrant(s)/1,000 population (2011 est.)".
They just hurt themselves. They need immigrants desperately, actually. Just throwing this in here because Japan is a good example what happens when you are anti-immigrant. Sometimes, you just don't have any other choice but to open up the country for immigrants. Brazil actually has a negative net migration rate. Apparently, they don't attract almost no South Americans. I can't find much on immigration to Brazil, though. It seems like there's barely any immigration? Wonder why. Especially from poorer South American countries. At least their birth rate is decent. Good for them. That's what seems to be compensation for the lack of immigrants.

Off-topic. Sorry.

Last edited by Glucorious; 11-13-2011 at 09:30 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 11:45 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,741,639 times
Quote:

Greece accounts for 2% of Europe's economy. So, no, it's not "most of Europe". Spain has issues, of course, and maybe they are moving back. Who knows.
Well large amount of Australians that have lived in the UK have moved back to Australia due to the declining prospects over there. I met some people that have used to live in the UK due to that reason.

I have met british people here complain on the lack of work over in the UK but here in Australia they see more jobs advertised.

Besides the unemployment rate is 8.1% in UK, 5.3 percent in Australia. In Spain its in double figures and thats the same with some east European nations. The Euro area its 10%
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/unem...ist-by-country

Last edited by other99; 11-13-2011 at 11:58 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
The statistics I saw said Japan is 98.5% Japanese, and a couple of Chinese and Koreans. Not sure where you see all those non-Japanese. About 200 000 Brazilians of Japanese decent supposedly moved there in the 90's. Only 15 000 naturalizations each year. It's a homogeneous country. They also had a documentary on CNN once where they talked about this. don't think it's much of a "stereotype". And the NY Times had a few articles about this, too. Besides, I have had many people telling me this ( who have been there ). I am also frequently told you're gonna be popular if you are white. Or at least they will treat you better. And I just looked it up - their net migration rate is "0 migrant(s)/1,000 population (2011 est.)".
They just hurt themselves. They need immigrants desperately, actually. Just throwing this in here because Japan is a good example what happens when you are anti-immigrant. Sometimes, you just don't have any other choice but to open up the country for immigrants. Brazil actually has a negative net migration rate. Apparently, they don't attract almost no South Americans. I can't find much on immigration to Brazil, though. It seems like there's barely any immigration? Wonder why. Especially from poorer South American countries. At least their birth rate is decent. Good for them. That's what seems to be compensation for the lack of immigrants.

Off-topic. Sorry.
I see them, as I'm a foreigner in Japan myself, and very much a part of the foreigner community. I know a black american guy, married to a filipina woman, who have 5 kids, and they were granted Japanese citizenship.

Usually, people just get 'permanant residency', or the right to buy and sell land, work wherever, on and on.

Regarding foreigners. Looking at the Catholic Churches here, you can regularly see Filipino masses one weekend, Portuguese the next, etc. You'll see the churches completely filled with Brazilians or Filipinos or whoever is the designated group.

I guess, the main thing I'm trying to say, is foreigners are here in Japan. I see them everyday, everywhere. Nowhere like you see in New York City, but certainly not non-existant, as the western media seems to always portray.

I've also spent a lot of time in quite a few other countries, and see much more long-term residents living in Japan than anywhere else in Asia, by far, outside of Thailand perhaps. I just noticed that the West continously targets 'Japan' and 'only Japan'. But you never see them targeting Turkey, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, etc., about becoming immigrant countries.

Actually there are very very very few countries I can emigrate to in this world, mostly only in the Americas and Australia/New Zealand. But, I regularly hear this complaint that Japan/Japanese are racist, as they aren't immigrant countries like US, Canada, Brazil, etc. Yet, everywhere else that isn't an immigrant country, people never claim it's because 'Turkish are racist', or whatever nation it is.

I've also never understood why Japan is SUPPOSE to be constantly growing it's population. Sure, it's great for the older generation to get benefits. But long-term, should our overall goal really be to continually expand every population on the planet by leaps and bounds, decade by decade? At some point, we're ALL going to have downsize. We can't all excessively expand our populations for all time.

Back on topic. Brazil. It's an immigrant country, so I love to see people moving in, rather than moving out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas