U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is raced discussed in The Americas 24/7
Yes, Latin Americas think about race all the time 1 33.33%
No, this board has been invaded by race extremists. 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2014, 01:03 AM
 
8 posts, read 5,001 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
As for Spaniards, Italians and other Southern Europeans they tend to have DNA closer to Africa than folks in Scandinavia. However, these folks are not African in the same manner Puerto Ricans or Cubans are not African.
This is basically a very untrue statement.


Genetic history of the Iberian Peninsula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

 
Old 07-20-2014, 02:33 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times
Reputation: 11619
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The 2010 US census uses SELF IDENTIFICATION. It doesn't tell people how to identify.

1. FACT black Americans, who on average are 20% NON African, chose to identify as black.

2. FACT 80% of Puerto Ricans, who on average are 45% NON AFRICAN, chose to self identify as White.

Focus your energies on telling us why a people who are visibly of triracial ancestry insist in calling themselves WHITE. Unlike black Americans who are OVERWHELMINGLY of African descent, Puerto Ricans on average are almost as non white as they are white!
In Latin America, white is seen as being better than not, and this is true in Puerto Rico. That's the reason why. Although, I think the problem isn't as bad as it is in other places in Latin America. Usually it's mestizos that are really hung up on their whiteness. I'm from Puerto Rico, and even I think it's silly that most Puerto Ricans identify as "white". Take a look at the average Puerto Rican, and then take a look at me and you'll wonder why the other person identifies as white because it doesn't make sense.

To illustrate, your average Puerto Rican something looks like this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MmYWWef9zf...iantes+UPR.jpg

Compared to someone like me, who looks more like this http://ilarge.listal.com/image/64667...z%C3%A1lez.jpg

And, in case you ask, yes I am almost 100% European, I'm probably more European than many Americans that claim to be pure white are.
 
Old 07-20-2014, 09:09 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,936,205 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
In Latin America, white is seen as being better than not, and this is true in Puerto Rico. That's the reason why. Although, I think the problem isn't as bad as it is in other places in Latin America. Usually it's mestizos that are really hung up on their whiteness. I'm from Puerto Rico, and even I think it's silly that most Puerto Ricans identify as "white". Take a look at the average Puerto Rican, and then take a look at me and you'll wonder why the other person identifies as white because it doesn't make sense.

To illustrate, your average Puerto Rican something looks like this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MmYWWef9zf...iantes+UPR.jpg

Compared to someone like me, who looks more like this http://ilarge.listal.com/image/64667...z%C3%A1lez.jpg

And, in case you ask, yes I am almost 100% European, I'm probably more European than many Americans that claim to be pure white are.

Just to show how definitions of race differ in various parts of the Caribbean, you wouldn't be considered white in the USVI. Ricky Martin is as dark as one can be to fit into that white category. Which isn't to say that you aren't, but the darker Mediterranean look doesn't quite make the cut in most of the non Hispanic Caribbean.

If any one other than the old man identifies as white they are seriously delusional.
 
Old 07-20-2014, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,472,879 times
Reputation: 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar5203 View Post
According to your link, the average Spaniard or Portuguese person has about 7.7% African ancestry.
 
Old 07-20-2014, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,398,581 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
In Latin America, white is seen as being better than not, and this is true in Puerto Rico. That's the reason why. Although, I think the problem isn't as bad as it is in other places in Latin America. Usually it's mestizos that are really hung up on their whiteness. I'm from Puerto Rico, and even I think it's silly that most Puerto Ricans identify as "white". Take a look at the average Puerto Rican, and then take a look at me and you'll wonder why the other person identifies as white because it doesn't make sense.

To illustrate, your average Puerto Rican something looks like this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MmYWWef9zf...iantes+UPR.jpg

Compared to someone like me, who looks more like this http://ilarge.listal.com/image/64667...z%C3%A1lez.jpg

And, in case you ask, yes I am almost 100% European, I'm probably more European than many Americans that claim to be pure white are.
Who cares if you're "almost" white, that doesn't make your argument more valid. You sound like another mestizo hung up on your skin color, genetic makeup and "European" heritage.
 
Old 07-20-2014, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,398,581 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
According to your link, the average Spaniard or Portuguese person has about 7.7% African ancestry.
No you're wrong. Read again.

"the most recent study regarding African admixture in Iberian populations concluded that Spain and Portugal hold significantly higher levels of North African than the rest of the European continent. Estimates of shared ancestry averaged between 4 and 20% (with an average of 7.7%) whereas these did not exceed 2% in other western European populations. However, contrary to past autosomal studies and to what is inferred from Y-Chromosome and Mitochondrial Haplotype frequencies(see below), it does not detect significant levels of Sub-Saharan ancestry in any European population outside the Canary Islands
"

North African people are white. It is what it is, Spaniards are white and European. Period. Only silly Latin Americans and racist US Americans and North Europeans hope otherwise.
 
Old 07-20-2014, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,472,879 times
Reputation: 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
No you're wrong. Read again.
[i]
"the most recent study regarding African admixture in Iberian populations concluded that Spain and Portugal hold significantly higher levels of North African than the rest of the European continent. Estimates of shared ancestry averaged between 4 and 20% (with an average of 7.7%) whereas these did not exceed 2% in other western European populations. However, contrary to past autosomal studies and to what is inferred from Y-Chromosome and Mitochondrial Haplotype frequencies(see below), it does not detect significant levels of Sub-Saharan ancestry in any European population outside the Canary Islands[/I
Since when was North Africa not in Africa? All I said was "the average Spaniard or Portuguese person has about 7.7% African ancestry". When did I say anything about color in that statement and why were you so quick to get offended?

You do understand that North Africans are African people right? Just like people from Spain and Portugal are European.

Quote:
North African people are white. It is what it is, Spaniards are white and European. Period. Only silly Latin Americans and racist US Americans and North Europeans hope otherwise.
Some people have this preconceived notion that North Africa isn't the real Africa because it's not in "Sub-Saharan" Africa, which is ridiculous when you actually think about it. African people can vary in skin complexion no matter what part of the continent you are in. It's really insulting and I don't get into stupid arguments anymore about what race certain groups of African people are. Not to mention, parts of West and Central Africa are not even located in "Sub-Saharan" Africa. It's really a stupid term when people try to use it as a racial divide. There is no such thing as a Sub-Saharan culture, as those are foreign viewpoints that didn't exist in Africa before that.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 07-20-2014 at 10:24 AM..
 
Old 07-20-2014, 12:32 PM
 
476 posts, read 467,518 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think it's a good thing that Brazil is so diverse with many racially-mixed people. I know there is still prejudice based on skin colour there, but I'm wondering, assuming the Spaniards and Portuguese were as racist as the early American colonists, why did America pursue a policy of segregation, while in Latin America intermarriage between natives, Europeans and later black slaves was common and even promoted? Was it to 'breed out' the Indians, as what the government tried to do in Australia with our Aborigines? The settlers in the US, in contrast, just wanted to herd off the Indians to small reservations or outright kill them. Is 'racial purity' more of an Anglo-Saxon rather than a Hispanic thing?

Why was racial segregation in the US South so extreme during the Jim Crow era? Like blacks not allowed to marry whites, many black men hanged for being with white women. Other nations with a colonial past, presumably also pretty racist, never took things that far.
The US of A is more racially mixed than Latin America.

That is why Hollywood hires British and Australian actors for the roles of "Joes and Janes" in US movies.
 
Old 07-20-2014, 12:59 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times
Reputation: 11619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Who cares if you're "almost" white, that doesn't make your argument more valid. You sound like another mestizo hung up on your skin color, genetic makeup and "European" heritage.
Kinda hard to be mestizo when you're 98% European, isn't it? So, you calm your passive aggressiveness down and don't feel bad that exposed the insecurity of many 50/50 mestizos in LatAm
 
Old 07-20-2014, 01:50 PM
 
9,849 posts, read 6,738,277 times
Reputation: 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
In Latin America, white is seen as being better than not, and this is true in Puerto Rico. Thatwhite's the reason why. Although, I think the problem isn't as bad as it is in other places in Latin America. Usually it's mestizos that are really hung up on their whiteness. I'm from Puerto Rico, and even I think it's silly that most Puerto Ricans identify as "white". Take a look at the average Puerto Rican, and then take a look at me and you'll wonder why the other person identifies as white because it doesn't make sense.

To illustrate, your average Puerto Rican something looks like this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MmYWWef9zf...iantes+UPR.jpg

Compared to someone like me, who looks more like this http://ilarge.listal.com/image/64667...z%C3%A1lez.jpg

And, in case you ask, yes I am almost 100% European, I'm probably more European than many Americans that claim to be pure white are.
I know folks that do not consider Brown eyes as white. The more Nordic people have more stringent requirements to call someone white.

That is why there is such a thing as white non Hispanic and white Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top