U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is raced discussed in The Americas 24/7
Yes, Latin Americas think about race all the time 1 33.33%
No, this board has been invaded by race extremists. 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2014, 01:56 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,157,510 times
Reputation: 11619

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I know folks that do not consider Brown eyes as white. The more Nordic people have more stringent requirements to call someone white.

That is why there is such a thing as white non Hispanic and white Hispanic.
Such people usually harbor sympathies for, or are, neo-Nazis themselves

By the way, in Europe, such people are considered white, considering that about half of Europeans have brown eyes so I wouldn't pay attention to anyone that says otherwise, because they talk a load of ****

 
Old 07-20-2014, 03:49 PM
 
8 posts, read 4,999 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
According to your link, the average Spaniard or Portuguese person has about 7.7% African ancestry.
North African ancestry... the average Puerto Rican (has a much higher sub-saharan African ancestry). North African and Sub-Saharan ancestry are different genetic pools.

To group them together is ridiculous.

In addition recent studies have ("shown or theorized") that a huge percentage of that average 7.7% may be Jewish with an addition of other North African ancestry.

North African and sub-saharan gene pools are extremely different. We must be exact and not misleading when we look at facts. It leads to massive misunderstanding.

Most of the slaves brought to the Americas were sub-saharan. Your average Puerto Rican has much higher percentage of sub-saharan ancestry than your average southern european... even if those numbers are already ridiculously low as you can intimate from my link.
 
Old 07-20-2014, 03:59 PM
 
9,758 posts, read 6,721,123 times
Reputation: 2484
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Such people usually harbor sympathies for, or are, neo-Nazis themselves

By the way, in Europe, such people are considered white, considering that about half of Europeans have brown eyes so I wouldn't pay attention to anyone that says otherwise, because they talk a load of ****
They may consider you white. But, they are really white; the real McCoy. That is how they see those that are swarthy.
 
Old 07-20-2014, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,391,452 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Kinda hard to be mestizo when you're 98% European, isn't it? So, you calm your passive aggressiveness down and don't feel bad that exposed the insecurity of many 50/50 mestizos in LatAm
No it's not that hard if your self esteem doesn't revolve around your skin color. And it's not passive aggressiveness, it's aggressiveness. Learn the difference. A example of passive aggressiveness is your post.

And I only feel bad for those mutts like you who have to post pictures on the internet of people who look like you to let other posters know you can impersonate a 100% white person.
 
Old 07-20-2014, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,460,458 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgar5203 View Post
North African ancestry... the average Puerto Rican (has a much higher sub-saharan African ancestry). North African and Sub-Saharan ancestry are different genetic pools.

To group them together is ridiculous.
So grouping people as one racial group that spans across Europe, Western Asia, and North Africa and having the nerve to label them all as "White" is not ridiculous??



Quote:
In addition recent studies have ("shown or theorized") that a huge percentage of that average 7.7% may be Jewish with an addition of other North African ancestry.

North African and sub-saharan gene pools are extremely different. We must be exact and not misleading when we look at facts. It leads to massive misunderstanding.

Most of the slaves brought to the Americas were sub-saharan. Your average Puerto Rican has much higher percentage of sub-saharan ancestry than your average southern european... even if those numbers are already ridiculously low as you can intimate from my link.
Don't get do bent of shape about it, as it was your link.

All I said was the Spanish/Portuguese have some African ancestry, which is most likely due to Moorish conquest in Southern Europe. Just because it mostly comes from North Africa doesn't make it any less African. This inferiority complex with North Africa needs to stop. Please go back and re-read what I wrote in the other post, then you will realize how ridiculous you sound.
 
Old 07-20-2014, 06:08 PM
 
8 posts, read 4,999 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
So grouping people as one racial group that spans across Europe, Western Asia, and North Africa and having the nerve to label them all as "White" is not ridiculous??




Don't get do bent of shape about it, as it was your link.

All I said was the Spanish/Portuguese have some African ancestry, which is most likely due to Moorish conquest in Southern Europe. Just because it mostly comes from North Africa doesn't make it any less African. This inferiority complex with North Africa needs to stop. Please go back and re-read what I wrote in the other post, then you will realize how ridiculous you sound.
But it does not equate to the massive number of sub-saharan groups in the caribbean and a huge part part of north and south america. North Africans are generally as different from sub-saharan africans as the British are from sub-saharan Africans.

If you don't know the difference between the general North African and Sub-Saharan African then you need to read something I link to more carefully.

Latin America has by far more diversity and mixing and tolerance then the rest of the western world (not saying there is no racism... but nowhere near to the extent of ex-British colonies).
 
Old 07-20-2014, 06:40 PM
 
367 posts, read 760,743 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
It's very difficult to know your ancestry unless you take one of those genetic tests which I would never take since I am on the paranoid side when it comes to personal data. I also don't think it will change my life if I find out I am "xx.xx% white or xx.xx% African.

Through records I know most of my ancestry has been in the new World since the 17th and 18th century. I think it would be kind of ridiculous at this point to feel "European" or "African". Leave that to those who have parents or grandparents from Spain. My family is 100% Colombian at this point. I think 300 or 400 years should be enough to qualify for that.

When I get that stupid question about race in polls (which I hate) I just tell them "other race". I am not gonna contribute of those ridiculous racist census or polls. I just wish more people did the same. Maybe someday Americans finally stop talking about race 24/7
I take it you have not lived in Colombia? Where you get racially identified all the time...Trust me if you are a Black person from Colombia you will hear it for the rest of your life there. Being that Colombia has regions where one "racial" group may dominate, if you fall outside of that group's characteristics you will hear it. Such as when Mestizos go to the Pacific coast and Black people go to the interior. They stick out like sore thumbs.
 
Old 07-20-2014, 06:55 PM
 
367 posts, read 760,743 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Not participating in or simply getting rid of racial and ethnic polls has no effect on eliminating racism in a country. Caribny is right in that ignoring racism or racial identity will not mean that racism will go away, especially if it's institutionalized. Racism isn't just an American problem.
Right and then in countries where you have majority blended populations you still have colorism and racism towards a disliked group's inherited undesirable features. Such if you're in a majority Mestizo country and you come out more Native looking. Or if you're in a majority Afro-Euro country and you come out looking more Afro.
 
Old 07-20-2014, 06:56 PM
 
56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Reputation: 12490
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
I take it you have not lived in Colombia? Where you get racially identified all the time...Trust me if you are a Black person from Colombia you will hear it for the rest of your life there. Being that Colombia has regions where one "racial" group may dominate, if you fall outside of that group's characteristics you will hear it. Such as when Mestizos go to the Pacific coast and Black people go to the interior. They stick out like sore thumbs.
Exactly and some people make it seem like all Latin American countries aren't like this due to mixture, which can be explained by the migration patterns of the Spanish and Portuguese and their lack of like women to have relationships with in the Western Hemisphere. Hence, the mixing. Colombia and Ecuador are a couple of countries with pretty stark racial concentrations based in geography, are countries like Peru and Uruguay. Argentina pretty much drowned out its Black/African descent population with a couple of areas being exceptions. There is a tiny area of Chile that used to be in Peru with a concentration of Black people. So, even in Latin America you can find concentrated areas of different groups.

For example, Buenaventura and Quibdo on Colombia's Pacific Coast are cities that are about 85% and 95% Black respectively. You can't find a city in the US with about 362,000 and 126,000 that are standalone cities with percentages that high, even in the South. So, that is telling.
 
Old 07-20-2014, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,460,458 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
Right and then in countries where you have majority blended populations you still have colorism and racism towards a disliked group's inherited undesirable features. Such if you're in a majority Mestizo country and you come out more Native looking. Or if you're in a majority Afro-Euro country and you come out looking more Afro.
That is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top