U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is raced discussed in The Americas 24/7
Yes, Latin Americas think about race all the time 1 33.33%
No, this board has been invaded by race extremists. 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2014, 06:34 AM
 
1,471 posts, read 1,628,540 times
Reputation: 755

Advertisements

There's a saying I read somewhere.
In the south they have Jim Crow laws, but at least they talk with us.
In the north, they don't have Jim Crow laws, but they don't talk with us.
In other words, southeners are used to blacks, many were raised by a black maid, played with black children...and after all, Jim Crow laws were the result of self-hate of a beaten country, the South, populism of the rabble and not a distinguishing feature of Southern culture.

 
Old 07-21-2014, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,392,429 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This another thing I want nip in the bud. In the US, you can find many areas where Black and White people hang out together. Where do people get this from that Black and White people are almost completely separated from each other in the US? Ironically, in the South, it was not uncommon to have Black and White people living near each other in many communities and while there were obvious restrictions, even my father who grew up in Mississippi, he lived in a town where shopped at stores owned by Jews and Chinese merchants as a child in the 1950's and 1960's and even played with politician's son that owned the land they lived on. Today, in the South, they have some of the most integrated schools in the country and interracial couples are more common than people think they are in the region. So, this isn't as cut and dry as people make it out to be, the same way people make integration of people in Latin America a simplistic thing because of people with a mixed background.

Isn't Medellin only like 3% in terms of people that identify as Black? Like I mentioned in another post, the US doesn't even have major/mid major cities with the Black percentages that Buenaventura and Quibdo have. Detroit, while it is close to the percentage of Buenaventura, still has a lower percentage.
Ok, fair enough, let's clear that up since there are also a lot of Europeans who have never touched American soil who think the US still has separate water fountains

Yes there are integrated public schools and white and blacks exchange some phrases here and there but they usually don't hang out together. They might share a table in school but they will still be talking most of the time to the people who look like them. This might be different in the West Coast, I have never lived there.

I did see more racial tensions in NY than here in the FL when I went to school. I was even surprised when black people actually talked to me because in NY they never did. Actually I was relieved since in NY my mere presence seemed to annoy some blacks there. When I visit NY I still see more tension there than in FL. It's like blacks look down on other blacks that talk to non blacks. So they don't want to be seen interacting with non black people because they might be perceived as traitors.

I don't know Medellin statistics but I would think the black population is higher than 3% especially now that so many people from smaller towns have been displaced to bigger cities. The US might not have entire metros with black people, but blacks and whites tend to live in separate neighborhoods. In Colombia black regions are not gonna attract mestizos because there is no good economic activity there and the same is true for other smaller mestizo towns. Once poor people move to the big cities they live wherever they can. Most of the urban population in the big cities in Colombia came from smaller towns displaced by violence or extreme poverty, they built their home where legal and illegal lots were available not where people who looked like them lived.
 
Old 07-21-2014, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,462,383 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
You were simply wrong when you said most Spaniards have African ancestry.
Well apparently they do. Some more so than others. There's nothing wrong with having African ancestry, it doesn't make them any less human.

Quote:
First. It is not even a large percent and second it was not African (which most people associate with black like African American) it was North African.
It's still African whether it's associated with African Americans or not.

Quote:
I don't care if Spaniards are not 100% white, I am not one of them, but the studies are out there. Your information is simply wrong. You are spreading wrong information. And no, for Christ's sake most Spaniards don't have subsaharan ancestors. Don't make up information just because you feel like it.
I was just stating what the information already said. It's not like I invented it or made it up.
 
Old 07-21-2014, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,392,429 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So tell me if blacks are so loved in Colombia why have they made so little socio economic progress compared to blacks in the USA, AND EVEN BRAZIL?
I never denied there was racism there. In fact I provided plenty of examples of racism. Also Colombia is a poor country with a lot of wealth inequality. Plenty of mestizos live in shanty towns also. Most of wealth is controlled by a few people who don't feel like sharing it with others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Is it that they are the little "monkey" who people have fun with, but don't take seriously enough to economically engage them. That is called racism by the way. A paternalistic version to be sure, but achieving much the same results. In fact is even worse because the very act of socializing, while simultaneously excluding (except on the national football team) means that many non blacks and even blacks get fooled into thinking that racism isn't a major problem in Colombia
Again I acknowledged there is discrimination there. As far as I know none of my friends or family see black people as little monkeys. There are black professionals there at least in my city Medellin. My doctor there is black. My school principal and some of my teachers were black back in the 80's. No it doesn't mean there is no racism but it's not like the US is the only country with black professionals. Black Colombians and mestizos are fully aware there is discrimination there. You don't need segregation to realize that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
In Latin America blacks suffer racism with a smile, and in the USA with a scowl. It is still racism, but the US variety forced the conversation about it to become an acceptable issue to discuss. It also allowed blacks 9of all skin color groups) to mobilize to fight it.
The same talks are going on there. You are assuming a lot about some people you don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I continue to wonder at the arrogant assumptions made by so many that blacks hunger for validation from non blacks, so hanging out with them, but ensuring that they remain at the bottom, is good enough.
Only a very ignorant person would think blacks look for validation anywhere. Yes we also have a share of those but it's not as high as you think it is. That is like saying all Americans think like the stormfront members. You are painting millions of people as racist sociopaths. Are you that simple to believe that millions of people are that heartless and ignorant? What do you know about our education? About our schools?
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I suggest that all those who scream that Latin America is this non racist place ought to rent the movie "Forbidden to Forbid", a Brazilian movie which is available in Netflix. It shows how frightening Brazil can be for blacks, even a black college student. I suspect that Colombia isn't any different.
I don't see anybody screaming that there is no racism in LA. I was very clear in my previous post explaining it was a different type of racism. I didn't say it was better or worse just that I thought it could end sooner. I don't speak Portuguese so I don't really know what goes on Brazil. A lot of things get lost in translation and editing. I know what is going on in Colombia and the racial talks that take place there.

This is one example, this our local hymn which is how people identify themselves with. This video was created by the state. The hymn itself which was written in the 19th does speak about slavery so it's not like we have never heard of it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W8p_bX0YZsI
 
Old 07-21-2014, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,392,429 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Well apparently they do. Some more so than others. There's nothing wrong with having African ancestry, it doesn't make them any less human.


It's still African whether it's associated with African Americans or not.


I was just stating what the information already said. It's not like I invented it or made it up.
Strawman argument, I was not implying there is something wrong with having African ancestry whether is black or white. Find a post where I said or even implied that.

This has already been discussed. This is a thread about race and it the context you used "African" you meant black African.
 
Old 07-21-2014, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,462,383 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
This has already been discussed. This is a thread about race and it the context you used "African" you meant black African.
Actually I didn't, your just making assumptions. I never put a color in front of a continent. When I said "African", that's exactly what I meant.
 
Old 07-21-2014, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,392,429 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Actually I didn't, your just making assumptions. I never put a color in front of a continent. When I said "African", that's exactly what I meant.
So what's really your point besides making straw man arguments claiming other posters see blacks as subhumans ? Do you even remember the original phrase?

The original phrase (not said by you) was that Spaniards tend to have DNA closer to Africans than Scandinavians.

Do they or do they not? Whether it's North African or African they simply don't unless you don't understand what the word "tend" means.
 
Old 07-21-2014, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,462,383 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
So what's really your point besides making straw man arguments claiming other posters see blacks as subhumans ? Do you even remember the original phrase?

The original phrase (not said by you) was that Spaniards tend to have DNA closer to Africans than Scandinavians.

Do they or do they not? Whether it's North African or African they simply don't unless you don't understand what the word "tend" means.
I had no problem with that part. It's just that when I brought up the part of the link that said Portuguese and Spanish people have African ancestry, some of you had a problem accepting it.

Spanish and Portuguese people are who they are and most of them are not 100% European. It is what it is. Just get over it and move on. I'm done talking about that particular subject.
 
Old 07-21-2014, 12:27 PM
 
56,560 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Ok, fair enough, let's clear that up since there are also a lot of Europeans who have never touched American soil who think the US still has separate water fountains

Yes there are integrated public schools and white and blacks exchange some phrases here and there but they usually don't hang out together. They might share a table in school but they will still be talking most of the time to the people who look like them. This might be different in the West Coast, I have never lived there.

I did see more racial tensions in NY than here in the FL when I went to school. I was even surprised when black people actually talked to me because in NY they never did. Actually I was relieved since in NY my mere presence seemed to annoy some blacks there. When I visit NY I still see more tension there than in FL. It's like blacks look down on other blacks that talk to non blacks. So they don't want to be seen interacting with non black people because they might be perceived as traitors.

I don't know Medellin statistics but I would think the black population is higher than 3% especially now that so many people from smaller towns have been displaced to bigger cities. The US might not have entire metros with black people, but blacks and whites tend to live in separate neighborhoods. In Colombia black regions are not gonna attract mestizos because there is no good economic activity there and the same is true for other smaller mestizo towns. Once poor people move to the big cities they live wherever they can. Most of the urban population in the big cities in Colombia came from smaller towns displaced by violence or extreme poverty, they built their home where legal and illegal lots were available not where people who looked like them lived.
The US is so big and varied, that you will find a range of neighborhoods and schools in terms of interaction. So, it depends and this can occur in the same city here in the US. Same with people within groups.

I advise that you take a look at the Northern migration of Blacks and the Underground Railroad in the US as well.

Also, why are the communities on/near the Pacific Coast so neglected to begin with? For instance, I found this to be interesting: "Crossed legs movement" in Colombia - YouTube It appears that similar things occur, but just manifests itself in different ways.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-21-2014 at 12:37 PM..
 
Old 07-21-2014, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,392,429 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I had no problem with that part. It's just that when I brought up the part of the link that said Portuguese and Spanish people have African ancestry, some of you had a problem accepting it.

Spanish and Portuguese people are who they are and most of them are not 100% European. It is what it is. Just get over it and move on. I'm done talking about that particular subject.
Again for the 300th time I don't need to accept crap because I am not from Spain. I was stating the facts. The discussion was not about "do some Spaniards" but "do most Spaniards". Again look up the word "tend" in the dictionary.

Good you are ready to move on but don't go away annoyed. You were the one making assumptions about my character and motives, when you don't know crap about me, just a friendly reminder of the nonsense you posted:
Quote:
"It's like they're so afraid of acknowledging that they have African ancestry from the so called Sub-Saharan region."
"There's nothing wrong with having African ancestry, it doesn't make them any less human."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top