U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is raced discussed in The Americas 24/7
Yes, Latin Americas think about race all the time 1 33.33%
No, this board has been invaded by race extremists. 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2014, 12:59 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,937,902 times
Reputation: 3799

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Because it's incorrect information. Simple. Not being racist does not include being an ignorant about world history or scientific research.

If you say China is full of Africans and I tell you that's wrong that automatically makes me a racist? Please.

I don't identify myself with Spain so cut the racist talk crap because "my so called racism" only exists in your mind.

I wasn't referring to you. It was the one who got angry after he claimed to be 100% white and some body disbelieved him.

I don't think that any one from the Iberian peninsula can categorically claim to be 100% anything. The entire Mediterranean is where various groups encountered each other.

This is where Europe meets Asia meets North Africa. And all of these entities have their hinterlands, which complicates things even further. Whether it is India, northern Europe, or sub Saharan Africa. It is a fact that there was ancient movement from sub Saharan Africa across the Sahara before it dried up. It is only since the Sahara became a semi impenetrable desert did North Africa become semi isolated from the lands to the south, switching its contacts to Europe and the Middle East.

I will however suggest that YOU are one of those who get bent out of shape if a mixed person is called black, but yet you happily accept a mulatto people like Puerto Ricans to run around claiming to be white. Why the double standards? Obvious you think being called black is some sort of insult, like being called gay.

If Puerto Ricans call themselves white, than it is perfectly acceptable for others to consider Dominicans to be black.

 
Old 07-21-2014, 01:03 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,937,902 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Because they hate being tagged as black or mixed if they are not black or mixed, and Cuba is a country were slavery subsisted well after abolition. Remaining whites in Cuba, around 30 percent of the population, most living in the countryside and specific areas of cities, do not like the "congo and carabalí" stuff at all. Why should they?

I have observed that people that get real mad at being called black are very light mulattoes that try to pass as whites, others will just laugh at it because they consider anything black as something not serious.

Unfortunately, whites are now a minority but fully in power, and the revolution used blacks and mulattoes to destroy white middle class, and later, during the early years of communism, blacks received the order to "harass" the remains of white "bourgeoisie" and destroyed emerging black or mulatto professionals or middle class from capitalist times, because according to the official propaganda..."there could be no wealthy blacks during capitalism" (but there were, quite a lot, including Batista).

Cuba is a very racist country but there are no Civil Rights, any black hinting that racism exists in Cuba will end up in jail because officially, racism ended in 1959. Black activists are accused of promoting "anticuban" activities and being agents paid by the empire...or the "Miami Mafia".

There's also black racism, they call whites "blancos sucios" or that blame whites for the revolution (they are right here)..but if anybody hates blacks to death are "guayabuos", those people that have a darkish grandma hiding in a closet. In the last racial war in Cuba, some 80 years ago, more than 20.000 blacks were hanged by a light mulatto.

Obviously you are a Cuban exile.

Now tell us about Cuban American attitudes to race, and racism, much of it directed even against BLACK Cubans. It is a known fact that most black Cubans live in the NY area, where they must battle the triple stigma of being foreign, black, and Spanish speaking. Why not in Miami which is owned by foreigners, and their immediate descendants, and is a de facto part of Latin America?
 
Old 07-21-2014, 01:10 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,937,902 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Ok, fair enough, let's clear that up since there are also a lot of Europeans who have never touched American soil who think the US still has separate water fountains

Yes there are integrated public schools and white and blacks exchange some phrases here and there but they usually don't hang out together. They might share a table in school but they will still be talking most of the time to the people who look like them. This might be different in the West Coast, I have never lived there.

.

And at the end of the day why is blacks hanging out with whites such an issue? People tend to mix with those who they feel that they have more in common with, and there are sufficient differences in cultural style between these two AMERICAN groups to suggest that this will occur.

Indeed in the NE USA WASPS generally don't mix with the "ethnics", except to some degree the Irish, and then only recently. Yet the Jews are doing perfectly fine. They Italians aren't suffering much either.

If you live in the NY area you will know that there are distinct differences in how Westchester, and nearby parts of CT are seen when compared to Long Island away from the North Shore.
 
Old 07-21-2014, 01:26 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,937,902 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I never denied there was racism there. In fact I provided plenty of examples of racism. Also Colombia is a poor country with a lot of wealth inequality. Plenty of mestizos live in shanty towns also. Most of wealth is controlled by a few people who don't feel like sharing it with others.
Again I acknowledged there is discrimination there. As far as I know none of my friends or family see black people as little monkeys. There are black professionals there at least in my city Medellin. My doctor there is black. My school principal and some of my teachers were black back in the 80's. No it doesn't mean there is no racism but it's not like the US is the only country with black professionals. Black Colombians and mestizos are fully aware there is discrimination there. You don't need segregation to realize that.
The same talks are going on there. You are assuming a lot about some people you don't know.
Only a very ignorant person would think blacks look for validation anywhere. Yes we also have a share of those but it's not as high as you think it is. That is like saying all Americans think like the stormfront members. You are painting millions of people as racist sociopaths. Are you that simple to believe that millions of people are that heartless and ignorant? What do you know about our education? About our schools?
I don't see anybody screaming that there is no racism in LA. I was very clear in my previous post explaining it was a different type of racism. I didn't say it was better or worse just that I thought it could end sooner. I don't speak Portuguese so I don't really know what goes on Brazil. A lot of things get lost in translation and editing. I know what is going on in Colombia and the racial talks that take place there.

This is one example, this our local hymn which is how people identify themselves with. This video was created by the state. The hymn itself which was written in the 19th does speak about slavery so it's not like we have never heard of it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W8p_bX0YZsI

The only rants that we hear from Latin Americas is how splendid life is for blacks because whites "love" them. And how hostile the USA is to blacks. yet on this forum we have many blacks who live in the USA and who have visited Latin America, and NONE of them has stated a desire to move there because of less racism. This includes both US based Caribbean blacks, as well as black Americans.


It is only when we back you all into a corner when you realize that the "mixing in the ghetto" doesn't impress that you murmur that racism is a problem in Latin America too.


I suggest that Latin Americans spend more time solving their own racism and less time pretending to be better than the US in this regard. Maybe black Americans are happy to be black, even though up to 25% of the recent marriages involving black men are to non blacks, 80% of these non black wives being WHITE! Given that marriage is such a final step, its obvious that there is an even high degree of inter racial friendships between blacks and whites in the USA then some people imagine it to be. Indeed it is rare for upper middle class blacks (30% of the US black population) not to have at least a few whites in their social networks. This being ESPECIALLY true for those under 40!


And quit the crap about the poverty of Latin America as an excuse. It is NO LONGER POOR. We are aware of the rapid growth of the middle class in countries like Mexico, Colombia, and Brazil. We are also aware that blacks have not participated to any significant degree in this growth. We also know that blacks continued to be IGNORED by your media.

Watch US TV, including the ads. Watch Latin American TV. Now tell me which country excludes blacks more? You will note that it is not unusual for in ads where financial products are sold that the black person is the ADVISOR!
 
Old 07-21-2014, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,399,708 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

I will however suggest that YOU are one of those who get bent out of shape if a mixed person is called black, but yet you happily accept a mulatto people like Puerto Ricans to run around claiming to be white. Why the double standards? Obvious you think being called black is some sort of insult, like being called gay.

If Puerto Ricans call themselves white, than it is perfectly acceptable for others to consider Dominicans to be black.
Who is "YOU"? Are you talking about me? When did I say that? Quote me. You must be confusing me with another poster or you must have really misunderstood my previous posts. I know I didn't say that because I am very clear of where I stand regarding race.

The only obvious thing is that you are assuming a lot about me but have not really read my posts. Maybe your eyes went through my posts but your mind made up your own ideas.

And now I have prejudices about gays too?. Lord have mercy. You are so f..... Clueless. Excuse my Spanish.
 
Old 07-21-2014, 01:32 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,937,902 times
Reputation: 3799

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8p_bX0YZsI&app=desktop


What is this supposed to prove, other than the fact that Colombia wishes to portray itself as a nation of light skinned mestizos? Will acknowledge the Indigenous people, but pushes those of visible African descent into a corner.
 
Old 07-21-2014, 01:36 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,937,902 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Who is "YOU"? Are you talking about me? When did I say that? Quote me. You must be confusing me with another poster or you must have really misunderstood my previous posts. I know I didn't say that because I am very clear of where I stand regarding race.

The only obvious thing is that you are assuming a lot about me but have not really read my posts. Maybe your eyes went through my posts but your mind made up your own ideas.

And now I have prejudices about gays too?. Lord have mercy. You are so f..... Clueless. Excuse my Spanish.

So I might have misunderstood you. So tell me what is your opinion about the fact that 80% of Puerto Ricans call themselves white, when they are clearly not, yet there are loads of threads(usually from Latin Americans) ranting about the fact that black Americans refuse to call themselves mixed.

What about the double standards where a mixed person who identifies as "black" is lambasted and yet NOTHING is said about another mixed person who identities as "white"? I haven't seen you condemning that practice.

Your answer will clarify your views on this topic.

Note that however you measure Puerto Ricans, whether by appearance or by ancestry, most of those calling themselves white are more distant from a European, than are the 95% of people with African ancestry in the USA who define themselves as black, rather than as multi racial, from being African. And note that Ahmadou Diallo was a full African from Guinea.
 
Old 07-21-2014, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,399,708 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8p_bX0YZsI&app=desktop


What is this supposed to prove, other than the fact that Colombia wishes to portray itself as a nation of light skinned mestizos? Will acknowledge the Indigenous people, but pushes those of visible African descent into a corner.
Lol ok, you watched the first 5 seconds, there are plenty of blacks in that video. Remember this is not all Colombia just the hymn of a very mestizo area, Antioquia. Actually let me inform you. Where I from the racial slur is "Indio" and people with indigenous features are the ones getting the most discrimination. Black ancestry is widely accepted by most. The double standard there is that if you look fully black you will face a lot of discrimination also but not as much as an indigenous looking person.
 
Old 07-21-2014, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Somewhere
8,071 posts, read 5,399,708 times
Reputation: 5654
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So I might have misunderstood you. So tell me what is your opinion about the fact that 80% of Puerto Ricans call themselves white, when they are clearly not, yet there are loads of threads(usually from Latin Americans) ranting about the fact that black Americans refuse to call themselves mixed.

What about the double standards where a mixed person who identifies as "black" is lambasted and yet NOTHING is said about another mixed person who identities as "white"? I haven't seen you condemning that practice.

Your answer will clarify your views on this topic.

Note that however you measure Puerto Ricans, whether by appearance or by ancestry, most of those calling themselves white are more distant from a European, than are the 95% of people with African ancestry in the USA who define themselves as black, rather than as multi racial, from being African. And note that Ahmadou Diallo was a full African from Guinea.
This is what I posted earlier about this subject:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
It's very difficult to know your ancestry unless you take one of those genetic tests which I would never take since I am on the paranoid side when it comes to personal data. I also don't think it will change my life if I find out I am "xx.xx% white or xx.xx% African.

Through records I know most of my ancestry has been in the new World since the 17th and 18th century. I think it would be kind of ridiculous at this point to feel "European" or "African". Leave that to those who have parents or grandparents from Spain. My family is 100% Colombian at this point. I think 300 or 400 years should be enough to qualify for that.

When I get that stupid question about race in polls (which I hate) I just tell them "other race". I am not gonna contribute of those ridiculous racist census or polls.
And if someone calls themselves white or black when they are actually mixed I think it's inaccurate but whatever that is not my problem. My problem is what I call myself.
 
Old 07-21-2014, 02:07 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,937,902 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Lol ok, you watched the first 5 seconds, there are plenty of blacks in that video. Remember this is not all Colombia just the hymn of a very mestizo area, Antioquia. Actually let me inform you. Where I from the racial slur is "Indio" and people with indigenous features are the ones getting the most discrimination. Black ancestry is widely accepted by most. The double standard there is that if you look fully black you will face a lot of discrimination also but not as much as an indigenous looking person.

I made sure to watch the ENTIRE video. Except for one person, the blacks were shot at a distance, so we couldn't see them, or were very light skinned. Clearly the intent was to trivialize their presence, even as the Indigenous people were quite visible.

I see that black ancestry is accepted, provided that it doesn't show. Ho reassuring, because when it is visible "you will face a lot of discrimination", to quote you.

Should blacks applaud that, according to you, this discrimination might be worse if one is a full blooded indigenous person?

I don't see that it is relevant to the topic as all this indicates is that Colombia is a racist country with scant respect for its African and Indigenous peoples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top