U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is raced discussed in The Americas 24/7
Yes, Latin Americas think about race all the time 1 33.33%
No, this board has been invaded by race extremists. 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 02:11 PM

7,454 posts, read 5,952,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
This is what I posted earlier about this subject:

And if someone calls themselves white or black when they are actually mixed I think it's inaccurate but whatever that is not my problem. My problem is what I call myself.

I guess you are not part of the group who faces discrimination so it matters not to you.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:12 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,409,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

I see that black ancestry is accepted, provided that it doesn't show. Ho reassuring, because when it is visible "you will face a lot of discrimination", to quote you.
Did I say it was reassuring? Quote me where I said any of those groups should feel better. I made that comment because you said these Colombians were more willing to accept their indigenous roots. I informed you that is not the case. Nothing was said that blacks should feel better because others face more discrimination.
Quote:
Should blacks applaud that, according to you, this discrimination might be worse if one is a full blooded indigenous person?
do I really need to answer this ridiculous question? Ok I'll do it. No.

You keep twisting my words. I guess your mission is to make me realize I am a "hardcore racist" and show me the true colors of racism. To show me that I have been in denial all my life. Newsflash: You are not telling me anything new about racism that I already don't know.

Quote:
I guess you are not part of the group who faces discrimination so it matters not to you.
Keep going, twist my words so they can fit your agenda. Never mind I was talking about mixed people that call themselves either black or white. I said "what people calls themselves" so that means I must be a racist because that must mean I don't care about discrimination.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:42 PM

9,898 posts, read 6,765,572 times
Quote:

If Puerto Ricans call themselves white, than it is perfectly acceptable for others to consider Dominicans to be black.
I looked into this.

The definition of white in PR means lack of African hair and a face with European features. Dark skin with European hair and face would be consider white. Historically folks were not concerned with anything else. If someone looked Italian, he is called bien blanquito. The less common blondes would be called "you don't look Puerto Rican".

It seems racial classification was based on absence or presence of African features. There was no concern with purity like in America.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:02 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,409,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Also, why are the communities on/near the Pacific Coast so neglected to begin with? For instance, I found this to be interesting: "Crossed legs movement" in Colombia - YouTube It appears that similar things occur, but just manifests itself in different ways.
IMO It's probably a combination of factors. Rural areas tend to be neglected more because they are far from sight, they are more expensive to improve(less population density requires more paved roads and facilities) and they were not easy to monitor because of the topography of the country. Money sent to those towns can easily get lost in transit or be used for the wrong projects.

http://www.usaid.gov/sites/default/f...4_page.v12.pdf

Old 07-21-2014, 07:37 PM

8 posts, read 5,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Well apparently they do. Some more so than others. There's nothing wrong with having African ancestry, it doesn't make them any less human.

It's still African whether it's associated with African Americans or not.

I was just stating what the information already said. It's not like I invented it or made it up.
Just stop making stuff up. No one is bent out of shape because you mention that the general populations of Spain or Portugal have a disproportionate amount of African blood of any type.

I am bent out of shape because you are completely in an outrageous way inaccurate. If you are going to have a conversation about facts you should stick to facts and not whatever fancies your mind.

7% percent of a population is ridiculously low... even when you consider that huge proportion of that 7% is North African, Arab, and Jewish. Other studies actually show it as much lower.

I have no problem stating that Dominicans have a huge proportion of sub-saharan blood. My dad is Dominican and my mom Turkish. I consider myself an American first, Dominican and Turkish second.

My Dominican dad has quite a bit of sub-saharan blood in him and some of my best features I assume come from that inheritance.

What is idiocy is to throw around assertions without anything to back them up.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:48 PM

78 posts, read 85,026 times
Why is Latin America so racially mixed? This one is easy, after White people stole America from the Native Americans, it was built up on the backs of African Slaves....Hence multiple races were brought together and mated with one another.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Did I say it was reassuring? Quote me where I said any of those groups should feel better. I made that comment because you said these Colombians were more willing to accept their indigenous roots. I informed you that is not the case. Nothing was said that blacks should feel better because others face more discrimination.
do I really need to answer this ridiculous question? Ok I'll do it. No.

You keep twisting my words. I guess your mission is to make me realize I am a "hardcore racist" and show me the true colors of racism. To show me that I have been in denial all my life. Newsflash: You are not telling me anything new about racism that I already don't know.

Keep going, twist my words so they can fit your agenda. Never mind I was talking about mixed people that call themselves either black or white. I said "what people calls themselves" so that means I must be a racist because that must mean I don't care about discrimination.
So if blacks aren't obligated to feel honored if whites mix with them, then of what relevance is it they mix more in Colombia? This when it is also noted that their position relative to whites and others in Colombia is much worse than it is in the USA.

And indeed one has to force out with tweezers the fact that there is widespread social and economic discrimination against blacks in Latin America. This issue would never be discussed if some of us weren't vocal on this issue. This when we are bombarded by accusations by some folks here (not you) that we are misguided because we don't define ourselves by our 20% European ancestry by making that distance ourselves from our 80% DOMINANT African ancestry.

Focus less on the mixing and more on explaining why blacks lag behind mestizos in Colombia, and please don't deny that they do. Unlike the Indigenous peoples who live in very remote and poor regions, many blacks live in the cities and on the Caribbean coast.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I looked into this.

The definition of white in PR means lack of African hair and a face with European features. Dark skin with European hair and face would be consider white. Historically folks were not concerned with anything else. If someone looked Italian, he is called bien blanquito. The less common blondes would be called "you don't look Puerto Rican".

It seems racial classification was based on absence or presence of African features. There was no concern with purity like in America.

So your average black American has chocolate skin, negroid hair, and facial features, and yet must call himself mixed, and is accused of being misguided or racist because he doesn't.

However you look at it there are double standards here because people have an agenda. Black is bad and so people must distance themselves from it. And when they don't people like you get bent out of shape. You because of your rant that black Americans are mixed people too deluded to call themselves that.

Yet people who are 40-50% non European can call themselves white because they don't look like they just arrived from Congo! Look at how you race to find excuse for the extremely self hating behavior that Puerto Ricans manifest. An overwhelming mixed country yet only 12% identify as such!

76% deluding themselves that they are white, when maybe no more than 20% of them are.

Puerto Rico is a one drop society, just as is the USA, except its one drop you are white.

I expect no more condemnation of US attitudes to racial identity when we see the hypocrisy of countries like Puerto Rico and Brazil where VISIBLY mixed race people scream that they are "white". They do so because white is good and black is bad, and so they want to escape any connection to being black! That's OK for their grandmother, who was too black to do otherwise, but not for them.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:11 PM

9,898 posts, read 6,765,572 times
Quote:
So your average black American has chocolate skin, negroid hair, and facial features, and yet must call himself mixed,the African heritage, but this is rather New and is accused of being misguided or racist because he doesn't.

However you look at it there are double standards here because people have an agenda. Black is bad and so people must distance themselves from it. And when they don't people like you get bent out of shape. You because of your rant that black Americans are mixed people too deluded to call themselves that.

Yet people who are 40-50% non European can call themselves white because they don't look like they just arrived from Congo! Look at how you race to find excuse for the extremely self hating behavior that Puerto Ricans manifest. An overwhelming mixed country yet only 12% identify as such!

76% deluding themselves that they are white, when maybe no more than 20% of them are.

Puerto Rico is a one drop society, just as is the USA, except its one drop you are white.

I expect no more condemnation of US attitudes to racial identity when we see the hypocrisy of countries like Puerto Rico and Brazil where VISIBLY mixed race people scream that they are "white". They do so because white is good and black is bad, and so they want to escape any connection to being black! That's OK for their grandmother, who was too black to do otherwise, but not for them.
It is sad, but in the end you are likely correct. However, sometimes these things are culturally ingrained. There are efforts to celebrate The African heritage, but this is rather new and a movement pushed by Puerto Ricans from New York city.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
It is sad, but in the end you are likely correct. However, sometimes these things are culturally ingrained. There are efforts to celebrate The African heritage, but this is rather new and a movement pushed by Puerto Ricans from New York city.

Yes the very folks you get accused of being destroyed by black Americans because they refuse to call themselves white. Most refer to themselves as "mixed".

It is interesting comparing how Puerto Ricans in NY self identify (most say mixed) compared to PR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas