U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is raced discussed in The Americas 24/7
Yes, Latin Americas think about race all the time 1 33.33%
No, this board has been invaded by race extremists. 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2014, 03:00 AM
 
1,471 posts, read 1,631,200 times
Reputation: 755

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I wasn't referring to you. It was the one who got angry after he claimed to be 100% white and some body disbelieved him.

I don't think that any one from the Iberian peninsula can categorically claim to be 100% anything. The entire Mediterranean is where various groups encountered each other.

This is where Europe meets Asia meets North Africa. And all of these entities have their hinterlands, which complicates things even further. Whether it is India, northern Europe, or sub Saharan Africa. It is a fact that there was ancient movement from sub Saharan Africa across the Sahara before it dried up. It is only since the Sahara became a semi impenetrable desert did North Africa become semi isolated from the lands to the south, switching its contacts to Europe and the Middle East.

I will however suggest that YOU are one of those who get bent out of shape if a mixed person is called black, but yet you happily accept a mulatto people like Puerto Ricans to run around claiming to be white. Why the double standards? Obvious you think being called black is some sort of insult, like being called gay.

If Puerto Ricans call themselves white, than it is perfectly acceptable for others to consider Dominicans to be black.


I don't think that any one from the Iberian peninsula can categorically claim to be 100% anything. The entire Mediterranean is where various groups encountered each other.

Nobody in the entire Europe can categorically claim to be 100% anything, except Caucasians. All are Caucasians. If the Mediterranean is where the East meet West, Central Euriope is were Siberia, Mongolia and Turkics meets Europe. But they are also Caucasian. You are paying too much attention to all Afrocentrist crap emanating from the US.

Puertoricans are not homogeneous, some are white, some are jabaos, some mulattoes, etc. Not all PR are mulattoes or jabaos, in fact, rich people are mostly white (many have Cuban origin).

 
Old 07-23-2014, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,476,805 times
Reputation: 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
I don't think that any one from the Iberian peninsula can categorically claim to be 100% anything. The entire Mediterranean is where various groups encountered each other.

Nobody in the entire Europe can categorically claim to be 100% anything, except Caucasians. All are Caucasians. If the Mediterranean is where the East meet West, Central Euriope is were Siberia, Mongolia and Turkics meets Europe. But they are also Caucasian. You are paying too much attention to all Afrocentrist crap emanating from the US.
Caucasian is not really a race but more of a "catch-all" term to include various people that span across different continents. The term was originally used to describe people from the Caucasus area but the term was hijacked and misused by 18th century Eurocentric scholars who strongly believed in racial superiority. Here is an interesting study done at Yale University that explains the origin of the word "Caucasian" and how it is deeply connected to White supremacy.

http://www.yale.edu/glc/events/race/Painter.pdf
 
Old 07-23-2014, 03:48 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,939,607 times
Reputation: 3799
[quote=Miserere;35770055]I You are paying too much attention to all Afrocentrist crap emanating from the US.

[quote]


Touchy touchy.

Now you do agree that a Spanish person, who can trace ancestry in that nation to 1500, is way more diverse than a similar English person would be? This because the British Isles was way more isolated from the rest of the world, and COMPLETELY isolated from worlds which existed beyond Europe. Spain clearly wasnt.

You do know that when Colombus sailed he had on his crew, blacks, and these being fully Hispanicized at that, so more likely born there! This because Spain had ties with the lands below North Africa, because North Africans were the middle men in that trade.

You know this, but you wish to dismiss the probability that within that 7% North African ancestry, there might be some sub Saharan.

Its is just hilarious teh degree to which people get bent out of shape over mere mention of black ancestry.


It turns out that I am 1% Moroccan. Now why do you think that is? Because Morocco had ancient connections to the Senegal/Mali regions, and so some ancestor who was shipped off from some coast line in what is today Guinea, had some Moroccan ancestry.

Does that make me Berber/Arab?

You all really need to get a grip!
 
Old 07-23-2014, 04:11 PM
 
9,872 posts, read 6,745,563 times
Reputation: 2487
[quote=caribny;35780162][quote=Miserere;35770055]I You are paying too much attention to all Afrocentrist crap emanating from the US.

Quote:


Touchy touchy.

Now you do agree that a Spanish person, who can trace ancestry in that nation to 1500, is way more diverse than a similar English person would be? This because the British Isles was way more isolated from the rest of the world, and COMPLETELY isolated from worlds which existed beyond Europe. Spain clearly wasnt.

You do know that when Colombus sailed he had on his crew, blacks, and these being fully Hispanicized at that, so more likely born there! This because Spain had ties with the lands below North Africa, because North Africans were the middle men in that trade.

You know this, but you wish to dismiss the probability that within that 7% North African ancestry, there might be some sub Saharan.

Its is just hilarious teh degree to which people get bent out of shape over mere mention of black ancestry.


It turns out that I am 1% Moroccan. Now why do you think that is? Because Morocco had ancient connections to the Senegal/Mali regions, and so some ancestor who was shipped off from some coast line in what is today Guinea, had some Moroccan ancestry.

Does that make me Berber/Arab?

You all really need to get a grip!
All of humanity comes from Africa. Even the most Nordic person in Northern Europe has black DNA. I get the feeling you want to Africanize everybody and do not like it when some folks do not act black.


Your position is too toxic rigid and makes no sense.
 
Old 07-23-2014, 04:29 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,939,607 times
Reputation: 3799
[quote=Julian658;35780487][quote=caribny;35780162]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
I You are paying too much attention to all Afrocentrist crap emanating from the US.


I get the feeling you want to Africanize everybody and do not like it when some folks do not act black.


Your position is too toxic rigid and makes no sense.
Another touchy person. Did I ever say anything about that. I specifically made my case, and you specifically ignored it because obviously black ancestry is toxic, in your eyes!

Did you comment on mulatto Puerto Ricans who scream that they are white. Yes you did, and you see NOTHING wrong with it.

Funny how agitated some folks get at the notion that they might have African ancestry that is more recent than 50,000 years ago.

Go and take a cool drink and relax. Being black isnt so bad! I mean the mere mention that a Spaniard MIGHT be 1% black in the same way as I am 1% Berber/Arab has people behaving like stingi8ng bees.

My my my. It turns out that people really get upset at the notion that their African DNA might be from 500, instead of 50,000 years ago!

Reality check. People from places which are geographic cross roads are more diverse than those which arent. This applies to Ethiopians, when compared to Congolese. And it also does to Spaniards when compared to the English.


But I will let you into a secret. I dont care one fig that Ethiopians are diverse!
 
Old 07-23-2014, 05:07 PM
 
9,872 posts, read 6,745,563 times
Reputation: 2487
[quote=caribny;35780736][quote=Julian658;35780487]
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

Another touchy person. Did I ever say anything about that. I specifically made my case, and you specifically ignored it because obviously black ancestry is toxic, in your eyes!




But I will let you into a secret. I dont care one fig that Ethiopians are diverse!
I always acknowledge your good points. And you are correct; many people don't want to be associated with black because they think it is not cool like Euro.

I thought racial blending could solve the issue, but that is a 15 thousand year plan.

Perhaps, the most effective way to end racism would be to have large numbers of very successful black people. Obama is a big step even though I see Obama as just another president that is forced to tow the line.

Don't be so pessimistic! We went from Rosa Parks to Obama in just a few years. Who knows what things may look like in 500 years.

One more thing about PR and the Mediterranean people. There are folks in PR that represent a 500 year blend of Spanish, indigenous, and African. The issue is that a 500 year blend is not the same as someone who is simply half white and half black. The 500 year blend may look like an entirely different group due to 500 years of inbreeding. Therefore, they may not see themselves as black. The same thing applies to Mediterranean people.

There was also a very late influx of Europeans that arrived in the mid to late 19 century as result of the cedula de gracia. Many of these folks have not been long enough in the island to have a chance to mix.

BTW, I think Ethiopian women are extremely sexy.
 
Old 07-23-2014, 05:29 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,939,607 times
Reputation: 3799
[quote=Julian658;35781234][quote=caribny;35780736]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post



Perhaps, the most effective way to end racism would be to have large numbers of very successful black people. Obama is a big step even though I see Obama as just another president that is forced to tow the line.



BTW, I think Ethiopian women are extremely sexy.

OK Ethiopia is an example of a country with blending over many millenia. Yet it is also a racist nation. It is one where slavery existed as late as the 70s. Its a pity that the Rastas are ignorant about the TRUTH of Haile Selassie.

I agree with your point, which is why my emphasis is on socio economi access for blacks. What they do with it as individuals is their business, but they must be given the opportunity.

This is why when the Latin Americans bray about their benign racism (yes eventually they admit to that) ny response is harsh. Whether people mix or not is their choice. It isnt a benefit. I certainly will not condemn a white person who is fair in his hiring decisions, but who prefers to marry a fellow white.
 
Old 07-23-2014, 08:05 PM
 
1,554 posts, read 1,474,027 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
I don't think that any one from the Iberian peninsula can categorically claim to be 100% anything. The entire Mediterranean is where various groups encountered each other.

Nobody in the entire Europe can categorically claim to be 100% anything, except Caucasians. All are Caucasians. If the Mediterranean is where the East meet West, Central Euriope is were Siberia, Mongolia and Turkics meets Europe. But they are also Caucasian. You are paying too much attention to all Afrocentrist crap emanating from the US.

Puertoricans are not homogeneous, some are white, some are jabaos, some mulattoes, etc. Not all PR are mulattoes or jabaos, in fact, rich people are mostly white (many have Cuban origin).
Actually the true Caucasians are those of the Caucasus Mountains
 
Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 PM
 
1,554 posts, read 1,474,027 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
I don't think that any one from the Iberian peninsula can categorically claim to be 100% anything. The entire Mediterranean is where various groups encountered each other.

Nobody in the entire Europe can categorically claim to be 100% anything, except Caucasians. All are Caucasians. If the Mediterranean is where the East meet West, Central Euriope is were Siberia, Mongolia and Turkics meets Europe. But they are also Caucasian. You are paying too much attention to all Afrocentrist crap emanating from the US.

Puertoricans are not homogeneous, some are white, some are jabaos, some mulattoes, etc. Not all PR are mulattoes or jabaos, in fact, rich people are mostly white (many have Cuban origin).
Caucasoid is an arbitrary parameter created in the 19th century. It is a residue, an anachronism. Two people can be 'Caucasoid' and not be closely related. Craniofacial plasticity is much more variable than was originally thought, so racial claims on craniofacial parameters are foolish. In microcosms, you might be able to show some relationship, but in global macrocosms, there are more mistakes than accuracy. Polytopicity is when two different groups of organisms that are not related end up having similar traits.

More like, if they are in similar environments, common factors may play a role in similar attributes. For example people in the circum Sahara developed thinner noses overall because of the dryer, hotter air. In Europe the colder dryer air had a similar effect. When we see broader features, they tend to be more recent migrations to dryer regions from more humid climates. Of course other factors can come into play as well. For example Neanderthals had wide nasal cavities but a very long nose that did a similar function to a thin nose. Clothing has played a huge role in allowing people with certain traits to migrate to regions they did not do so well in naked.

Humanity is infinitely diverse and a beautiful thing. We are playdoh to the environment. And now we change the environment to us.
 
Old 07-23-2014, 08:52 PM
 
1,554 posts, read 1,474,027 times
Reputation: 475
[quote=Julian658;35781234][quote=caribny;35780736]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

I always acknowledge your good points. And you are correct; many people don't want to be associated with black because they think it is not cool like Euro.

I thought racial blending could solve the issue, but that is a 15 thousand year plan.

Perhaps, the most effective way to end racism would be to have large numbers of very successful black people. Obama is a big step even though I see Obama as just another president that is forced to tow the line.

Don't be so pessimistic! We went from Rosa Parks to Obama in just a few years. Who knows what things may look like in 500 years.

One more thing about PR and the Mediterranean people. There are folks in PR that represent a 500 year blend of Spanish, indigenous, and African. The issue is that a 500 year blend is not the same as someone who is simply half white and half black. The 500 year blend may look like an entirely different group due to 500 years of inbreeding. Therefore, they may not see themselves as black. The same thing applies to Mediterranean people.

There was also a very late influx of Europeans that arrived in the mid to late 19 century as result of the cedula de gracia. Many of these folks have not been long enough in the island to have a chance to mix.

BTW, I think Ethiopian women are extremely sexy.
At times mixing can make things even worse. The world has been mixing and had mixing continually and all throughout the world since ancient times and the world is STILL racist as ****. Even if racism is gone one day, human beings will still find something to complain about.

Human is the only race. Humanity is diverse but that's the only race and the human race is hardly boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top