U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is raced discussed in The Americas 24/7
Yes, Latin Americas think about race all the time 1 33.33%
No, this board has been invaded by race extremists. 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2012, 09:31 PM
 
12 posts, read 33,799 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diet1 View Post
I really don't understand your argument, are you saying that in another 100 years the south of Brazil will be very mixed?
I'd like to add that throughout history Sicily as well as southern Spain has been aligned much closer North Africa and the East than to Northern Europe. A few years back an Italian movie/documentary (pane e cioccolata) described how well those Southern Italian immigrants were "assimilated" to countries like Switzerland.
I still contend that the viral religious influence fueled racial paranoia in the US, whereas in Latin countries that was not the case.
I just said that the real occupation of this area just started 100 years ago by European immigrants… and the southern is still very white and unmixed. I don’t know if in 100 years they will get mixed, it is possible because immigration, but there are ton of racist there, some of them want to separate the southern of the rest of Brazil because their culture is different than the others areas of Brazil and them don’t want to mix...

 
Old 02-04-2012, 10:02 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,424 posts, read 19,318,864 times
Reputation: 8496
Quote:
Originally Posted by obpumc View Post
I just said that the real occupation of this area just started 100 years ago by European immigrants… and the southern is still very white and unmixed. I don’t know if in 100 years they will get mixed, it is possible because immigration, but there are ton of racist there, some of them want to separate the southern of the rest of Brazil because their culture is different than the others areas of Brazil and them don’t want to mix...
Won't happen, there are local subcultures all over Brazil, no reason for independence, nor will attitude keep migrants and immigrants away. Nor are most people there racist in the first place.
 
Old 02-04-2012, 10:46 AM
 
12 posts, read 33,799 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Won't happen, there are local subcultures all over Brazil, no reason for independence, nor will attitude keep migrants and immigrants away. Nor are most people there racist in the first place.
Yes, I agree with you and I hope so, I like Brazil as large country, I don’t think that it will happen, but there are some peoples that want to do, anyway I think they are minority.
 
Old 02-05-2012, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Miami / Florida / U.S.A.
684 posts, read 1,293,552 times
Reputation: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think it's a good thing that Brazil is so diverse with many racially-mixed people. I know there is still prejudice based on skin colour there, but I'm wondering, assuming the Spaniards and Portuguese were as racist as the early American colonists, why did America pursue a policy of segregation, while in Latin America intermarriage between natives, Europeans and later black slaves was common and even promoted? Was it to 'breed out' the Indians, as what the government tried to do in Australia with our Aborigines? The settlers in the US, in contrast, just wanted to herd off the Indians to small reservations or outright kill them. Is 'racial purity' more of an Anglo-Saxon rather than a Hispanic thing?

Why was racial segregation in the US South so extreme during the Jim Crow era? Like blacks not allowed to marry whites, many black men hanged for being with white women. Other nations with a colonial past, presumably also pretty racist, never took things that far.

Trimac,

You have a non-healthy fixation on ethnicities and race.
 
Old 02-05-2012, 01:29 PM
 
193 posts, read 665,106 times
Reputation: 233
^
Like many others on here. A lot of city-data users seem anti-White, although they ARE white. For Instance, a place with a high percentage of White people is often considered to be dull, boring, racist and "non-recommendable" on here.
 
Old 02-05-2012, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,572 posts, read 4,656,135 times
Reputation: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by obpumc View Post
Sorry, but I’m Brazilian and I don’t have any Black or indian ancestor in my family, all my grandparents emigrated from Europe in the first years of XX century, 3 of them came from Italy ( Sicilia and Veneto) and one from Spain (Galiza)… In 1920, nearly 80% of São Paulo city's population was composed of immigrants and their descendants, check this (São Paulo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). You need understand that Blacks slaves were directed to colonial city in Brazil as Salvador and Rio de Janeiro… São Paulo and southern of Brazil was almost uninhabited in that time. You forget that italian, german and japanese, for example, has more or less 100 years of immigration to Brazil, this is very short time to mix with everyone that you want. Go to university as mackenzie or FAAP in Sao Paulo, is almost impossible to find a black or a mestizzo there, and in southern Brazil there are entire white closed german speaking communities. Check Pomaroide city in Santa Catarina absolutely more than 90% full Germans. Check Holambra in São Paulo almost 100% is Dutch descendants. As I said you most of Brazil region is mixed but southern is exception, everyone know about this. If you don’t believe go there and check this. If you don’t go to real fates I would prefer don’t waste my time discussing about it… keep strong in your illusion… I just go to real fates.

In 1920, nearly 80% of São Paulo city's population was composed of immigrants and their descendants (yes, but nobody said that those descendants didn't have non-immigrant parents or grandparents as well).

40 years later, in 1960, an immense proportion of São Paulo city's population was composed of mixed-race internal migrants that came from the Northeast.

By that time (the 60's) many descendants (sons and daughters) of those European immigrants that lived in Sao Paulo have married with migrants from the Northeast.

Do you want an example?

Eliana Michaelichen Bezerra. Yes, Eliana, the famous TV hostess, of the SBT network.

Eliana has a Northeastern father, from Ceara, and a Russian-Ukrainian mother, from Parana.

José Bezerra, born in the city of Solonópole, in Ceara, came to São Paulo and met Eva Michaelichen (a descendant of Russians and Ukrainians immigrants), born in Irati, Parana. José and Eva, who first met in a family home where they both worked, got married, and Eliana was born in 1973 from this union.

I guess that you didn't know that the blonde, green-eyed, Eliana, had a "cearense" father, did you?

Sorry mate, but you are a RARE EXCEPTION, and most people in the South are mixed.
 
Old 02-21-2012, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Calgary,AB
70 posts, read 89,673 times
Reputation: 45
Is interesting that many people in this forum value our Catholic Heritage ; in comparison, with so many jingoistic Anglo-Saxons who suffer a delusion of grandeur and think that their religion, language or woman (that is joke =) ) are the best.
 
Old 03-27-2012, 03:08 PM
 
Location: new jersey
53 posts, read 153,270 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
There were far more Native Americans in many Latin American countries than the US so it was not possible to kill all of them off.

Also I believe that Spanish and Portuguese tended to be less racist and more promiscuous than the Europeans that colonized the US.
i have to disagree with you the Spaniards were VERY racist. They created social classes based on levels of "Racial Purity" during colonial times.
 
Old 03-27-2012, 07:44 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosaalberto15 View Post
i have to disagree with you the Spaniards were VERY racist. They created social classes based on levels of "Racial Purity" during colonial times.
It's true, just because you used native women for sex doesn't prove you're not racist. Some of the most racist men indulged in this...in a way one could even see it as just another way they show their racism, treating these women as sex objects without the 'sanctity' of marriage.
 
Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Toronto
3,338 posts, read 5,795,657 times
Reputation: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's true, just because you used native women for sex doesn't prove you're not racist.
That's the way most of history has gone anyway. Men conquer a new area. Kill off the other men. Take the local women. You notice this even from reading accounts of history say in the Old Testament.

If you look at the diversity of the human genome (across the human race in general) you actually find more genetic diversity in the maternal lines than the paternal lines, which implies a lot more men didn't get to leave their legacy relative to women.

This pattern shows up in places time and again, and people have traced paternal ancestries to "big men" perhaps kings and conquerors, anywhere from Niall of the Nine Hostages, to Genghis Khan, basically men who had a big shot at many women and at leaving lots of sons with lots of women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top