U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you view Dominicans?
Strictly Latin American. 40 33.61%
Afro-Latino 65 54.62%
Strictly Afro-Caribbean. 14 11.76%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:35 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,478,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
Mexico and Guatemala don't have a corner on what it means to be Latin American. Dominicans are as Latin American as anybody else who is Latin American. Which I'm not even sure how to define myself.
Whaaaaaaat?!? Mexico does not have a corner of what Latin America is? What do you even mean? Have you beeb to Guadalajara or Mexico City. Mexico City ((home of the aztecs) and Lima ( home of the incas) were basically Spain's command center.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 16 days ago)

5,187 posts, read 8,029,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey3131 View Post
Western civilazation is the U.S

What don't you understand about that.
Actually, there are many Western countries of which the U.S. is only one of them. Western civilization is actually based in Western Europe, that's where the term "Western" comes from. All countries with a Western cultural base are considered part of the West, although some people have different opinions regarding whether Latin America is Western or not. I personally think it is. For one, most of the population has ancestry that goes back to Europe, even if its just partially as most people are mixed; and secondly, most Latin American countries tend to have a Spanish culture with additional Native American and African influences, but the Spanish culture makes up the foundation of each culture.

But anyway, there's more to Western culture or civilization than the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey3131 View Post
So western civilization has no perception of race?
Of course not, every civilazation has a perception of race.
I don't know where you come from but in the U.S there is a clear perception of race
And race relations and it is well documented.
I didn't said it has no perception of race, what I said is that there is no one perception of race within Western civilization and your assumption that the U.S. perception is the dominant or most widely used one is simply incorrect. Most of the West goes by a perception of race that is quite different from the U.S.

For starters, there's no one-drop-rule outside of the U.S. That's a major difference. Then there are others.

My point is that what people assume in the U.S. frankly doesn't applies in most other places, even in most Western countries.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 PM

2,524 posts, read 5,061,482 times
Latin American, I'm a Cuban/Colombian woman & this question is ridiculous. They are Dominicanos, Latinoamericanos.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:55 AM

6,559 posts, read 9,072,595 times
Are Dominicans black? Yes and no.

Applying the word black to populations with a lot of mixed people can be tricky and subjective.

From what I've seen you can find Dominicans who look like Denzel Washingston,Alex Rodriguez and Jennifer Lopez.

For me it's not a big deal whether or not people with some degree of African ancestory use the word "black" in describing themselves. I think it's more relevant that they acknowledge Africa as a part of their physical and cultural mixture.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:30 PM

910 posts, read 1,885,973 times
WHY do some people need to label others??? What does it matter?! I was born in the Dominican Republic at a time when the population was NOT mainly dark-skinned so I can tell you that's WHY a lot of people there, myself included, do not identify ourselves with Africa. Because Haiti's population mainly descends from African slaves and they are poorer than the Dominican Republic, large numbers of Haitians migrate to the D.R., and a way for them to achieve legal status in the past (don't think that works now...) was to have a child with a local and that's a reason why the population began to "get darker".

Please don't think the U.S., the UK or Europe are the only ones having a serious problem with illegal immigrants, that can happen in other places too. Back when Rafael L. Trujillo Molina (who was of Spanish descent and very prejudiced) was a dictator in the D.R. (1930 - 1961) he actually commanded an extermination of Haitians who had gone to cut sugar cane but stayed illegally, this of course, caused international uproar but it did deter Haitians from crossing the border illegally and the population remained fairly light-skinned for a couple more decades.

Another reason why people who have obvious african/black features deny it is because of prejudice, unfortunately, there's always been a preference for lighter skin and "good hair", if you travel to the D.R. you'll be hard pressed to find many Dominican women, for example, wearing their hair natural, even it it's just wavy, like mine was when I was young, there is great pressure to straighten it out. For example, when I went to visit family in '03, shortly after I'd stopped straightening my hair, which in later years and the humid climate of FL got curlier, my relatives kept telling me to blow dry it or set it in rollers, never mind that I graduated from a good Cosmetology school in W. Palm Beach, FL and my curls were glossy and frizz-free! But I refused just out of principle and the next year some began to compliment me, one of my sisters even said that if she could pull it off she'd like to wear it like mine at least occasionally, I told her there was a "method to the madness" but I don't think she was really interested... As for my other sister, she said it made me look "juvenile" and I should straighten it, the nerve! I think she was simply jealous that it does make me look younger, not "juvenile".

Anyway, myself, I look like I have a permanent light to medium tan, I've often been confused with Italian or Spanish, and in fact, most of my family descend from Spain, some from Holland but I do believe there is a speck of black blood in there some generations back, but I don't see why that would make my family "black", I've never understood why when people have more white in their genes here in the U.S. they are still called black. I'm sure that was the white people's LABELLING to keep segregating themselves. The whole nonsense about race is more obvious to us "mixed" people, I do NOT like being pegged as anything, I hate those boxes you have to check in government forms and such, and so much more my children whose father is an American "white" of Irish descent. As far as I'm concerned the ONLY RACE I belong to is THE HUMAN RACE, end of story!

Old 04-14-2013, 09:05 PM

252 posts, read 530,234 times
Black Americans spend to much time trying worrying about these people. If they want to hate themselves then go ahead and let them. They tend to have very little to offer us in the of friendship and comradery. Why are so many Dominicans playing Black Americans on TV and movies anyway? It's like they are mocking us or something.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,438,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
Black Americans spend to much time trying worrying about these people. If they want to hate themselves then go ahead and let them. .
They have a differnt culture and think different then you, so that means they hate themselves? well, your right about one thing, black americans spend to much time worrying about them, they seem obsessed with dominicans.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:29 PM

910 posts, read 1,885,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
Black Americans spend to much time trying worrying about these people. If they want to hate themselves then go ahead and let them. They tend to have very little to offer us in the of friendship and comradery. Why are so many Dominicans playing Black Americans on TV and movies anyway? It's like they are mocking us or something.
You don't get it , read with me "Dominicans are NOT Americans", therefore, as UrbanLuis aptly put it, we do not live by the same ideology that people have in the U.S. If Dominicans play black Americans is because if they're offered the gig and they want to act they'd be fools to turn it down in order not to offend the delicate ego of some AAs, comprendes?

Old 04-14-2013, 10:24 PM

252 posts, read 530,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
They have a differnt culture and think different then you, so that means they hate themselves? well, your right about one thing, black americans spend to much time worrying about them, they seem obsessed with dominicans.
They tend to be really hateful of Black Americans when the move to the states. Yet I've recently noticed they have there a handful of black dominican playing prominent roles as black americans in tv and movies. Like you have this one dominican girl playing Nina Simone. A DOMINICAN PLAYING NINA SIMONE! A proud Black woman! And they have her are putting makeup to make her look darker (aka BLACKFACE!) It's insane and racist. Let a Black person play a prominent dominican as star role a movie and see how they react.

Look at this?

How can they be serious?

Last edited by phillystress215; 04-14-2013 at 10:34 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 16 days ago)

5,187 posts, read 8,029,582 times
I found this document where DNA tests were done on various populations and these were the findings for the average person in each population. The typical Dominicans seems quite mixed to me:

The same document also has DNA findings for African Americans (on average, AA's tend to inherit 70%-80% of their genes from their African ancestors), so basically the average AA is considerably blacker than a typical Dominican, since on average they tend to be less than half black and usually have more white blood than black in them. I think this explains why so many AA's have issues with Dominicans since the latter often take a more mixed race identity while AA's take more of a black identity.

To me it makes perfect sense that each group identifies as they do given their genetic realities. These results don't surprise me at all. I have seen plenty of Dominicans and plenty of African Americans and on average, Dominicans appear quite mixed, more so than a typical African American.

I say mixed people should be allowed to take a mixed identity if that is what they want. After all they are not denying anything when its their reality.

Here's the document with DNA data on many populations worldwide: http://www.dnatribes.com/dnatribes-s...2012-03-12.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or