U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you view Dominicans?
Strictly Latin American. 40 33.61%
Afro-Latino 65 54.62%
Strictly Afro-Caribbean. 14 11.76%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 04:51 PM

252 posts, read 531,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
Isn't Smokey Robinson bi-racial?
NO! He has 2 Black parents.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
Gravy was a racist and colorist. He also was anti mixed and anti light skinned. In addition he also agreed with the KKK and he even met with KKK members and leaders to help further ethnocentric separatism. Many black panthers and black power radicals participated in such because Afrocentrists and black separatists are no different then white supremacists. They supported each other and move all people and society backwards. Sigh smh
It's not Gravy it's Garvey and he was a hero. Every group of people is allowed some social space and cultural autonomy. Not to mention most importantly economical justice. Why is it wrong when Black people want it? As far a Marcus Garvey's colorism well he combated the rampant colorism and hatred of Mulatto elites the world over tend to have toward Black people. Also it's documented that the Klan controlled the local courts and economics of many areas of American. Unlike Garveyites they carried on a system of terrorism against Black people. The Garveyite never did the same against whites. BTW this thread was dead. Let's let it stay that way.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:21 PM

284 posts, read 508,584 times
dominicans hate being called black and hate having anything to do with african ancestry. therefore why should afro-blacks claim them, so they're latin american.

Last edited by mach234; 07-27-2013 at 09:00 PM..

Old 07-27-2013, 10:32 PM

263 posts, read 653,868 times
The majority of them look very mixed. I think their blackness is over-exaggerated.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:08 PM

7,697 posts, read 2,464,704 times
Hmmm Antilliano...I agree that the majority of Dominicans are mixed, but there is plenty variation in terms of appearance and features. Not sure if I would say the majority look like that video either. It likely depends in where you go. Plenty like the video but plenty others looks different.

Are you from the DR? If not, what parts of the DR have you visited?

Old 07-27-2013, 11:17 PM

At this point who cares.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:58 AM

578 posts, read 758,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
NO! He has 2 Black parents.
He has 2 black parents? Hmm. Could have fooled me! I heard from some sources that he is bi racial. Perhaps both of his parents are biracials or mixed. I'm just curious on what his full mixed lineage or ancestry or family history.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:03 AM

Quote:
It's not Gravy it's Garvey and he was a hero. Every group of people is allowed some social space and cultural autonomy. Not to mention most importantly economical justice. Why is it wrong when Black people want it? As far a Marcus Garvey's colorism well he combated the rampant colorism and hatred of Mulatto elites the world over tend to have toward Black people. Also it's documented that the Klan controlled the local courts and economics of many areas of American. Unlike Garveyites they carried on a system of terrorism against Black people. The Garveyite never did the same against whites. BTW this thread was dead. Let's let it stay that way.
I wrote Garvey but my damn device did an auto correct. Anyways, Garvey was also hostile towards Afro Latinos and he also bashed many African Americans and dictated and told others that they were not black enough and rejected many or certain blacks. He felt that many African Americans were white washed. He also worked with the KKK.

He was no different from the KKK in many aspects. Some aspects of Garvey's work are thought provoking but I would not call him a hero. I think many people overlook his many hypocrisies or are ill informed on some of the backwards things he supported and promoted

Old 07-28-2013, 04:12 AM

Quote:
You're missing the point. Garvey was not exactly for all blacks. He was hypocritical and an opportunist. He was also corrupt. He actually WORKED with and collaborated with the KKK and promoting separatism. Also who said that blacks can't have their own autonomy or space? I'm just talking about Garvey's many flaws and negative ways. He rejected people when he felt they were not black enough or based on how they spoke. He also was very critical of and against many AAs since he felt they were white washed or not black enough. His campaign was pro West Indian mainly and to connect and take West Indians of African descent back to Africa.

Garvey also worked with KKK, because he supported many views that KKK had of people of color that were keeping blacks and people of color down.

Many Afrocentrics and Black Power and Black Panther movement peoples agreed with and even openly worked with KKK members and had meetings with KKK members because they were two sides of the same coin.

It's also similar to how there are many or rather some black identified people that support the racist one drop rule!

It's like Stockholm syndrome

Old 07-29-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnDoctor View Post
Why can't they be all three? The terms are not contradictory and there are people who are all three. A Black Cuban, for example, is all three. So is an average haitian and others, including many Dominicans.

Um...Anywhere from New York City down to Buenos Aires is mixed. That's the history of the New World. Mixed people may be more obvious in the DR or Curação, but the US is filled with mixed people, as is Mexico, Colombia, and a host of other nations.

The Caribbean or Brazil aren't the only places with mixed people. THey can be found anywhere where there are different ethnic groups.

And being mixed doesn't necessarily mean attractive all the time. I've seen my share of Mulatto monsters and pure african beauties.
Read the comment I was responding to! The person I was responding to said Caribbean and USA are not mixed at all or very little and I had to tell them that that's bull**** because Caribbean and USA are very mixed. They were talking out of their a$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or