U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you view Dominicans?
Strictly Latin American. 40 33.61%
Afro-Latino 65 54.62%
Strictly Afro-Caribbean. 14 11.76%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 PM

263 posts, read 652,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Hmmm Antilliano...I agree that the majority of Dominicans are mixed, but there is plenty variation in terms of appearance and features. Not sure if I would say the majority look like that video either. It likely depends in where you go. Plenty like the video but plenty others looks different.

Are you from the DR? If not, what parts of the DR have you visited?
No, but I have known many Dominicans in the NY metro area and in South Florida. They generally look like the people in that other video, and are very easy to distinguish from other Afro-Caribbean groups in the area. The ones I know in Miami appear to be even less black, and look more like this.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:48 PM

7,577 posts, read 2,438,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antillano89 View Post
No, but I have known many Dominicans in the NY metro area and in South Florida. They generally look like the people in that other video, and are very easy to distinguish from other Afro-Caribbean groups in the area. The ones I know in Miami appear to be even less black, and look more like this.
Well, having been there, I'll have to stick to them being a mixed people with plenty variation.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Well, having been there, I'll have to stick to them being a mixed people with plenty variation.
Right, and that is exactly what the other video I posted demonstrates.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Right, and that is exactly what the other video I posted demonstrates.
Far more variation than that video actually...

Old 07-29-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Far more variation than that video actually...
Some examples would be good.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Some examples would be good.

Dominican Republic - Republica Dominicana- Boinx FotoMagico - YouTube

Beach Party [Sebastian Ingrosso & Alesso] @ Pelicano Beach - República Dominicana - YouTube

Carnaval Santo Domingo Este un Verdadero Espectáculo para el Mundo - YouTube

Old 07-29-2013, 09:59 PM

Maybe we just have a different view on what "variation" means. Most of the people in the first and third video seem to be predominantly black. I don't see much variation there to be honest, specially with the last video. It's definitely no Brazil when it comes to diversity.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Maybe we just have a different view on what "variation" means. Most of the people in the first and third video seem to be predominantly black. I don't see much variation there to be honest, specially with the last video. It's definitely no Brazil when it comes to diversity.
The point is that all of those appearances exist within the Dominican Republic. The videos should be taken together rather than separately.

The first video is mixed.
The second video is predominantly "white" & "mixed."
The third is predominantly "black"/"mixed."
Within all of those videos are also individuals who seem to have significant Amerindian or "indio" heritage.

When you actually visit, you see it all.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
The point is that all of those appearances exist within the Dominican Republic. The videos should be taken together rather than separately.

The first video is mixed.
The second video is predominantly "white" & "mixed."
The third is predominantly "black"/"mixed."
Within all of those videos are also individuals who seem to have significant Amerindian or "indio" heritage.

When you actually visit, you see it all.
I think we might have very different standards for what it means to be "white", "black", or "mixed". The majority of the people in the first and third video would be seen as black in most Latin America countries. And only the second video has any people that look even remotely white.

The first video shows mostly a mulatto and black population. I don't think I even saw a single white person in there. The second one looks more evenly mixed, with a slight white predominance. Still the black influence is very obvious in most people. The third one is overwhelmingly African. If someone told that video was filmed somewhere in Haiti I would believe them.

Again, it definitely has nothing on Brazil when it comes to diversity. Or countries like Colombia, Venezuela, or Puerto Rico for that matter.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I think we might have very different standards for what it means to be "white", "black", or "mixed". The majority of the people in the first and third video would be seen as black in most Latin America countries. And only the second video has any people that look even remotely white.

The first video shows mostly a mulatto and black population. I don't think I even saw a single white person in there. The second one looks more evenly mixed, with a slight white predominance. Still the black influence is very obvious in most people. The third one is overwhelmingly African. If someone told that video was filmed somewhere in Haiti I would believe them.

Again, it definitely has nothing on Brazil when it comes to diversity. Or countries like Colombia, Venezuela, or Puerto Rico for that matter.
Clearly, the Dominican Republic is a mixed country and thus why my posts used quotes around the terms white & black. The point is that all kinds of variation can be seen when you are in the DR.

No one is comparing the DR to Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela or Puerto Rico. The DR is the DR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or