U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you view Dominicans?
Strictly Latin American. 40 33.61%
Afro-Latino 65 54.62%
Strictly Afro-Caribbean. 14 11.76%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:07 PM

263 posts, read 652,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Clearly, the Dominican Republic is a mixed country and thus why my posts used quotes around the terms white & black. The point is that all kinds of variation can be seen when you are in the DR.

No one is comparing the DR to Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela or Puerto Rico. The DR is the DR.
Well, it is hard to compete with those countries, specially the first three. I was just curious to see how diverse the DR really was in comparison. For some reason I had imagined it was like a mini North-eastern Brazil or something. I guess that's not the case.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 PM

578 posts, read 755,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antillano89 View Post
I think we might have very different standards for what it means to be "white", "black", or "mixed". The majority of the people in the first and third video would be seen as black in most Latin America countries. And only the second video has any people that look even remotely white.

The first video shows mostly a mulatto and black population. I don't think I even saw a single white person in there. The second one looks more evenly mixed, with a slight white predominance. Still the black influence is very obvious in most people. The third one is overwhelmingly African. If someone told that video was filmed somewhere in Haiti I would believe them.

Again, it definitely has nothing on Brazil when it comes to diversity. Or countries like Colombia, Venezuela, or Puerto Rico for that matter.
Have you ever been to Dominican Republic?

Yeah, a lot of Dominicans have visible obvious African influenced phenotypes but you can see that there is a mix in there. Dominicans are mulattoes and then there are a significant white minority and a visible black minority.

Some Dominicans have Taino ancestry as well.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post

Yeah, a lot of Dominicans have visible obvious African influenced phenotypes but you can see that there is a mix in there. Dominicans are mulattoes and then there are a significant white minority and a visible black minority.

The touristy areas only. My perception of Dominicans is mostly based on the many I met in NY and South Florida. The ones in NY are mostly mulattos or quadroons, and the ones in MIA looked slightly whiter for some reason. The majority of Dominicans I know look like the video below for example. Mostly an Afro/Euro mix, not too much native influence I believe.

Last edited by Antillano89; 07-29-2013 at 11:31 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 11:22 PM

7,558 posts, read 2,428,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post

Exactly. From the lightest to the darkest, the majority are mixed...with the white & black minorities you mention. Beautiful people.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Touristy areas only. My perception of Dominicans was mostly influenced by the ones I met in NYC and Miami. The ones in NYC actually seemed more diverse for some reason. Like in the video below.

Earlier you said you have not been to the DR. Now you are saying you have only been to touristy areas. So you've been? If so, where?

The videos you posted are accurate, but the DR is not limited to that...meaning that the nation is more diverse than the videos you posted.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Earlier you said you have not been to the DR. Now you are saying you have only been to touristy areas. So you've been? If so, where?

The videos you posted are accurate, but the DR is not limited to that...meaning that the nation is more diverse than the videos you posted.
You have misunderstood me then. I have visited the all-inclusive resort areas in the eastern coast of the country. Most of the people I saw there looked completely black, almost no different from Haitians. So I'm just trying to be fair here and judge them by the ones I met in the US. I'm sure the Dominicans in the US represent a more complete sample of the DR's total population, as they may come from different regions all over the country.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Exactly. From the lightest to the darkest, the majority are mixed...with the white & black minorities you mention. Beautiful people.
I can agree 100% with that. Dominican women are very hot.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
You have misunderstood me then. I have visited the all-inclusive resort areas in the eastern coast of the country. Most of the people I saw there looked completely black, almost no different from Haitians. So I'm just trying to be fair here and judge them by the ones I met in the US. I'm sure the Dominicans in the US represent a more complete sample of the DR's total population, as they may come from different regions all over the country.
That's why I said that plenty look like the ones in your initial videos and plenty do not. Lots of variation.

Quote:
I can agree 100% with that. Dominican women are very hot.
As are Dominican men...oh yes.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 13 days ago)

5,170 posts, read 8,022,345 times
Quote:
You have misunderstood me then. I have visited the all-inclusive resort areas in the eastern coast of the country. Most of the people I saw there looked completely black, almost no different from Haitians.
IMO, the tourist areas are not representative of the country.

For one thing, there's a very large Haitian population in those areas (they are the construction workers and there's much construction going on in these places and many also work in the resorts.) Less than 5% of the population lives in the tourist areas. Tourist areas tend to be close to sugar cane fields and these are the traditional areas where the Haitians lived, so I suppose many Haitians and their descendants make up a good chunk of the labor force in the tourist areas (it makes sense when you think about it.) There are also many other foreigners from Europe, Canada, USA, and Latin America in these tourist areas and the areas don't even resemble the typical DR of the interior in look and feel. On the other hand, the same thing can be said of most tourist areas in most countries.

Most of the population lives in the Santo Domingo area and in the Cibao Valley and, in general, the population in those areas is on average much lighter than is typical in the tourist areas. The Haitian presence is also lower in these areas, so maybe that has something to do with this.

Look at this map: http://unosat-maps.web.cern.ch/unosa...7_highres.jpeg

Something like 80% of the population lives in the dark red and orange areas, and these are also the areas where the average population is lighter than elsewhere. In the mountains there are many towns where 90% of the population is very light and a significant percentage of them are simply white. As you can see, almost none of them are in the tourist areas; in fact, the tourist areas are in sparsely populated places.

The country has some 9 million people and roughly 4 million live in the Greater Santo Domingo area and roughly 3 million live in the Cibao Valley, leaving about 2 million scattered in the remaining 85% of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antillano89
So I'm just trying to be fair here and judge them by the ones I met in the US. I'm sure the Dominicans in the US represent a more complete sample of the DR's total population, as they may come from different regions all over the country.
I think so too, plus there's the added "advantage" that the large Haitian migrant population that lives in the DR is weeded out of the USA samples, so the appearance of the typical Dominican is probably much more accurate there.

If you talk to many older Dominicans (those 40-ish and older) about population changes in the DR during their lifetime, at least in my cases, they have all said the population in the streets has become increasingly darker due to the large Haitian presence. Many Dominicans feel their country is going through a pacific Haitian invasion. Traditionally, the only places where Haitians lived was in the sugar plantations in the eastern part of the country and in the border region, and as recently as 30 years ago, most Dominicans didn't even know what a Haitian looked like because there were hardly any in most places. Apparently, at least by what many Dominicans have told me, that is no longer the case.

I've been to Dominican Republic and actually travelled through out the country and can attest that in the tourist areas there is a much higher presence of blacks than in most non-tourist areas, and wherever there's sugar cane plantations the population is a good deal darker than in the industrial areas, with a few exceptions.

The Dominican Republic is an interesting country because the bulk of the population lives on perhaps 10 to 15% of the land area, yet most of the 4 million tourists that visit the country are actually visiting some of the least populated areas and, at least in the Dominican case, these are also the darkest/blackest spots. In the places where the bulk of the population lives, on average its a lighter mulatto society compared to the very small minority that lives in the tourist area and its a much more ethnic Dominican population than in the tourist areas too.

Also, almost 80% of the population lives in urban areas and most of the urban population is in the Santo Domingo metro area and in the Cibao.

Last edited by AntonioR; 07-30-2013 at 09:39 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 09:49 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 13 days ago)

5,170 posts, read 8,022,345 times
I say that anyone that visits the Dominican Republic and hardly spent any time in Santo Domingo and the Cibao, can't really say they visited the real Dominican Republic. I mean, if most of the population lives there, it makes sense to believe that that's where the most genuine Dominican experience can be had, no?

The reality is that most tourists to DR never visit the "real" DR. Most go for a few days in a resort out in the middle of nowhere for some fun in the sun and a small minority goes for sexual tourism in places like Sosua and Boca Chica. Hardly anyone visits the places where most of the population lives and if you ever visit the areas where most Dominicans live, what will stick out to you is the almost complete lack of tourists and how different the overall feel is from the tourist areas. You might be the only tourist for miles and miles. It's incredible that most areas of one of the most visited countries in this hemisphere is overwhelmingly devoid of tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or