U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you view Dominicans?
Strictly Latin American. 40 33.61%
Afro-Latino 65 54.62%
Strictly Afro-Caribbean. 14 11.76%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 PM

910 posts, read 1,885,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antillano89 View Post
You have misunderstood me then. I have visited the all-inclusive resort areas in the eastern coast of the country. Most of the people I saw there looked completely black, almost no different from Haitians. So I'm just trying to be fair here and judge them by the ones I met in the US. I'm sure the Dominicans in the US represent a more complete sample of the DR's total population, as they may come from different regions all over the country.
Do you want to know why the majority of Dominicans in the Eastern coast look mostly black? Because many descend from blacks that migrated to the Dominican Republic from the British Caribbean islands, and they were called "Cocolos", and how I know this? Because my father was born and raised in San Pedro de Macoris which is in the East, and he used to tell us about the "Cocolos". Therefore, they are NOT representative of the original Dominican population, which probably explains why most Dominicans do not identify with Africa at all, especially since the main cultural influence came from Spain. Also, the migration of many black Haitians in recent decades has changed the ethnic mix in the D.R., but when I grew up there in the 60s & 70s the great majority of Dominicans looked more like those in the 2nd video.

But what many people ignore is that in the region of El Cibao the population was predominantly white, and many Dominicans from that region even had blond hair and blue or green eyes, one of my father's chauffeurs during the '70s was from that region and he was a rather goodlooking blond "cibaeño".

As for why Dominicans living in S. FL are lighter, well, I can also explain that. Because the original Cubans in Miami were people of higher class and education, the area usually attracted Dominicans who were also of higher class and better educated, many from the better neighborhoods of the capital, where the majority of lighter skinned Dominicans live, whereas those migrating to NY very often came from the East or other poorer regions of the country.

Oh, and by the way, Hispanics are called Latin because of speaking Spanish which is a language derived from Latin, but in so far as race, the only ones today who really can be called "Latins" are Italians... Or at least that's what they say, an American-Italian friend seemed very upset on Facebook about "us" Hispanics being lumped together with them and he went to great lengths to prove his point with several links, but this was months ago so I can't produce any of them, only remember that basically I had to agree... But REALLY, as ust a member of the HUMAN RACE I'm bothered a lot by those who have this great need to stick a label on everyone else, labelling reeks of PREJUDICE, so give it a rest and let everyone identify themselves the way they want to identify!

Old 07-31-2013, 07:11 PM

7,576 posts, read 2,433,909 times
Quote:
You have misunderstood me then. I have visited the all-inclusive resort areas in the eastern coast of the country. Most of the people I saw there looked completely black, almost no different from Haitians. So I'm just trying to be fair here and judge them by the ones I met in the US. I'm sure the Dominicans in the US represent a more complete sample of the DR's total population, as they may come from different regions all over the country.
Gotcha. IMO, even the darker Dominicans often had a different look than the Haitians. Did you get to Santo Domingo at all? Even the resorts have excursions to go there. Next time I would just like stay in Santo Domingo.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:33 PM

263 posts, read 652,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Do you want to know why the majority of Dominicans in the Eastern coast look mostly black? Because many descend from blacks that migrated to the Dominican Republic from the British Caribbean islands, and they were called "Cocolos", and how I know this? Because my father was born and raised in San Pedro de Macoris which is in the East, and he used to tell us about the "Cocolos". Therefore, they are NOT representative of the original Dominican population, which probably explains why most Dominicans do not identify with Africa at all, especially since the main cultural influence came from Spain. Also, the migration of many black Haitians in recent decades has changed the ethnic mix in the D.R., but when I grew up there in the 60s & 70s the great majority of Dominicans looked more like those in the 2nd video.

But what many people ignore is that in the region of El Cibao the population was predominantly white, and many Dominicans from that region even had blond hair and blue or green eyes, one of my father's chauffeurs during the '70s was from that region and he was a rather goodlooking blond "cibaeño".
I've heard about that from many Dominicans here. I know that the country used to have a much larger white population historically than it does now, that is proportion-wise. The Dominican Republic never actually received that many African slaves compared to the other more successful colonies like Cuba for example. The country had a predominantly White-mixed population throughout most of it's history, until the invasion from Haiti. It looks like the DR suffered from a serious case of "white flight" during the Haitian occupations. The majority of the white population over there fled to other countries in Latin American, mostly to nearby Cuba and Puerto Rico. I guess that's one of the main reasons why those countries are whiter than DR presently.

So now, how white do you think is that Cibao region currently? I know that the population there is supposed to be much whiter than the national average. But how white is the region exactly, when compared to Puerto Rico for instance?

Quote:
As for why Dominicans living in S. FL are lighter, well, I can also explain that. Because the original Cubans in Miami were people of higher class and education, the area usually attracted Dominicans who were also of higher class and better educated, many from the better neighborhoods of the capital, where the majority of lighter skinned Dominicans live, whereas those migrating to NY very often came from the East or other poorer regions of the country.

Yeah, that is definitely the biggest difference I've seen between the NY area and Florida populations, besides the physical appearance of course. The Dominicans down in the South Florida area tend to be much more classier than the ones up north. It's exactly the same with the Puerto Ricans in NYC compared with the "Nuyoricans". It seems like Miami always attracts the elite of Latin America's population.

Quote:
Oh, and by the way, Hispanics are called Latin because of speaking Spanish which is a language derived from Latin, but in so far as race, the only ones today who really can be called "Latins" are Italians... Or at least that's what they say, an American-Italian friend seemed very upset on Facebook about "us" Hispanics being lumped together with them and he went to great lengths to prove his point with several links, but this was months ago so I can't produce any of them, only remember that basically I had to agree... But REALLY, as ust a member of the HUMAN RACE I'm bothered a lot by those who have this great need to stick a label on everyone else, labelling reeks of PREJUDICE, so give it a rest and let everyone identify themselves the way they want to identify!
I voted that Dominicans are "strictly Latin American", just for the record. It doesn't really matter how black or white the Dominican Republic is, most people there are still fully part of the Latin American cultural sphere. And most black Dominicans have very little connection with the "Afro-Caribbean" culture, like say Afro-Colombians or Afro-Panamanians have for example. Dominican people have a 100% "Latino" culture, that's how they identify and how most people see them, so that's what they're called. There should be no controversy about that.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:37 PM

263 posts, read 652,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Gotcha. IMO, even the darker Dominicans often had a different look than the Haitians. Did you get to Santo Domingo at all? Even the resorts have excursions to go there. Next time I would just like stay in Santo Domingo.
I've never been to Santo Domingo. But judging from the videos there the people obviously look more diverse than what I saw in the resort areas. That is exactly why I posted that flash-mob video in the first place, I figured since it's the biggest city in the country, it would show a decent representation of the DR's population.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I've never been to Santo Domingo. But judging from the videos there the people obviously look more diverse than what I saw in the resort areas. That is exactly why I posted that flash-mob video in the first place, I figured since it's the biggest city in the country, it would show a decent representation of the DR's population.
Yes, more diverse in Santo Domingo. I understand why you posted the flash mob, and it's definitely accurate. Just saying that there are all kinds of looks there...

Old 08-03-2013, 01:47 PM

910 posts, read 1,885,973 times
[quote=Antillano89;30775485]I've heard about that from many Dominicans here. I know that the country used to have a much larger white population historically than it does now, that is proportion-wise. The Dominican Republic never actually received that many African slaves compared to the other more successful colonies like Cuba for example. The country had a predominantly White-mixed population throughout most of it's history, until the invasion from Haiti. It looks like the DR suffered from a serious case of "white flight" during the Haitian occupations. The majority of the white population over there fled to other countries in Latin American, mostly to nearby Cuba and Puerto Rico. I guess that's one of the main reasons why those countries are whiter than DR presently.

Glad you agree because that's how it really was, anyone living there would tell you that.

So now, how white do you think is that Cibao region currently? I know that the population there is supposed to be much whiter than the national average. But how white is the region exactly, when compared to Puerto Rico for instance?

I'm sorry that I really cannot answer that given that I haven't lived there in a very long time, for all I know it may have changed in recent decades...

Old 08-28-2013, 01:31 PM

578 posts, read 756,597 times
Quote:
Maybe we just have a different view on what "variation" means. Most of the people in the first and third video seem to be predominantly black. I don't see much variation there to be honest, specially with the last video. It's definitely no Brazil when it comes to diversity.
But you see, that's the flaw in yours or just general flaw in mutual humans perceptions. The people in the videos that Caribdoll posted seemed to be mixed Afrodescendants along with other types of racial mixes ranging the gamut. Plenty of families that have been mixed for generations can come out looking different colors. Those people you felt looked or seemed black could have full blooded siblings that you probably would say was white. I've seen such plenty of times. It happens all the time.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I think we might have very different standards for what it means to be "white", "black", or "mixed". The majority of the people in the first and third video would be seen as black in most Latin America countries. And only the second video has any people that look even remotely white.

The first video shows mostly a mulatto and black population. I don't think I even saw a single white person in there. The second one looks more evenly mixed, with a slight white predominance. Still the black influence is very obvious in most people. The third one is overwhelmingly African. If someone told that video was filmed somewhere in Haiti I would believe them.

Again, it definitely has nothing on Brazil when it comes to diversity. Or countries like Colombia, Venezuela, or Puerto Rico for that matter.
Have you been to Haiti or the DR? Which countries have you travelled to?

Old 08-28-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
But you see, that's the flaw in yours or just general flaw in mutual humans perceptions. The people in the videos that Caribdoll posted seemed to be mixed Afrodescendants along with other types of racial mixes ranging the gamut. Plenty of families that have been mixed for generations can come out looking different colors. Those people you felt looked or seemed black could have full blooded siblings that you probably would say was white. I've seen such plenty of times. It happens all the time.
Thank you. Glad you see it as well.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post

What do you mean by "Original Dominicans"? The Cocolos came to DR in the late 1800s and early 1900s so they are very Dominicanized by now. How are they not representative of the original populations?

What about the French immigrants that settled in Cibao and San Pedro de Macoris. Hmm?

Oh and what about the many mixed race light skinned Haitians and white Haitians that have lived and settled in DR?

And the many Syrian and Lebanese immigrants in DR?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or