U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: How do you view Dominicans?
Strictly Latin American. 40 33.61%
Afro-Latino 65 54.62%
Strictly Afro-Caribbean. 14 11.76%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2013, 03:15 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,941,189 times
Reputation: 3799

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post

Dominicans are Latin American and Caribbean all at the same time.

With very significant African influences in their culture. Even if their "white" elites try to minimize this.

 
Old 11-07-2013, 03:55 PM
 
2,241 posts, read 2,677,292 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
With very significant African influences in their culture. Even if their "white" elites try to minimize this.
Right. People seem to misunderstand the label Afro Caribbean
 
Old 11-07-2013, 04:15 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,196,156 times
Reputation: 11624
Latin American only
 
Old 11-07-2013, 11:47 PM
 
2,241 posts, read 2,677,292 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
With very significant African influences in their culture. Even if their "white" elites try to minimize this.
Though, I think the terms Latin American and Caribbean apply to Dominicans above all.
 
Old 11-08-2013, 01:38 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,941,189 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Though, I think the terms Latin American and Caribbean apply to Dominicans above all.

No problem with it. Dominicans are CARIBBEAN Hispanics. Certain aspects of their culture integrate them into the rest of the Spanish speaking world. Other aspects integrate them into the rest of the NON SPANISH speaking Caribbean world.

Its just like West Indians. Certain things I can share with a Dominican. Other things I can share with an African American.
 
Old 11-08-2013, 03:45 PM
 
2,241 posts, read 2,677,292 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
With very significant African influences in their culture. Even if their "white" elites try to minimize this.
There is no need to use the pre fix of Afro or African since that would be redundant. It's automatically known that what the cultural and ancestral synthesis of Dominicans are.
 
Old 11-08-2013, 04:52 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,941,189 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
There is no need to use the pre fix of Afro or African since that would be redundant. It's automatically known that what the cultural and ancestral synthesis of Dominicans are.

Dont see any need NOT to prefix Afro as it is clearly different from those Latin cultures where African influences are minimal. Its the Afro in DR culture which makes it different from a Bolivian, or even a Mexican. The Iberian influences are implied once the DR is described as a Latin country, which it usually is. Indeed this is what unites Latin American nations.
 
Old 11-08-2013, 06:32 PM
 
2,241 posts, read 2,677,292 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Dont see any need NOT to prefix Afro as it is clearly different from those Latin cultures where African influences are minimal. Its the Afro in DR culture which makes it different from a Bolivian, or even a Mexican. The Iberian influences are implied once the DR is described as a Latin country, which it usually is. Indeed this is what unites Latin American nations.
Yes, Dominicans ARE an Afrodiasporic people, group, and nation and they are Afro Caribbean, but my point is that using Afro as a prefix is not necessary because it is obvious and known that there is African roots and heritage in there. In addition it would ignore the other influences and roots like European and Native Anerican etc.

I mean do you ever hear people say "Euro-Caribbean" or "Native American Caribbean", or Asian Caribbean?

At the end of the day it's all Caribbean.

Dominican Republic is BOTH Caribbean and Latin American all at the same time.
 
Old 11-08-2013, 06:36 PM
 
2,241 posts, read 2,677,292 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
No problem with it. Dominicans are CARIBBEAN Hispanics. Certain aspects of their culture integrate them into the rest of the Spanish speaking world. Other aspects integrate them into the rest of the NON SPANISH speaking Caribbean world.

Its just like West Indians. Certain things I can share with a Dominican. Other things I can share with an African American.
What do you have in common with an African American other than the fact that you and an AA might share a little bit of African ancestors or ancestry down the line?

Dominicans and many other Caribbeans have African lineages and other roots mixed in, and they live in the vast region known as the Caribbean.

This doesn't make them African Americans. And it certainly does NOT make them Africans. Being African descent does not mean the same thing as being African.

In addition make sure that you aren't subscribing to the racist one drop rule.
 
Old 11-08-2013, 06:40 PM
 
2,241 posts, read 2,677,292 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Dominican Republic I mean.

They are a Latin American country, but culturally and racially share much with other parts of the Caribbean as opposed to places like Mexico and Guatemala.

How do you view them?
I don't get the point you are trying to make OP. It seems like a catch 22, full of contradictions and confusing.

All of the labels in the poll you posted can ALL accurately apply to Dominican Republic's culture, people, history, geography, politics etc. None of these labels are mutually exclusive.

And yes, Dominican Republic is an Afrodiasporic nation. It also had other roots and ethnic groups that influenced and contributed to the DR.

It's both Latin American and Caribbean and vice versa all at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top