U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you view Dominicans?
Strictly Latin American. 40 33.61%
Afro-Latino 65 54.62%
Strictly Afro-Caribbean. 14 11.76%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:51 PM

2,241 posts, read 2,680,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antillano89 View Post
I've heard about that from many Dominicans here. I know that the country used to have a much larger white population historically than it does now, that is proportion-wise. The Dominican Republic never actually received that many African slaves compared to the other more successful colonies like Cuba for example. The country had a predominantly White-mixed population throughout most of it's history, until the invasion from Haiti. It looks like the DR suffered from a serious case of "white flight" during the Haitian occupations. The majority of the white population over there fled to other countries in Latin American, mostly to nearby Cuba and Puerto Rico. I guess that's one of the main reasons why those countries are whiter than DR presently.

So now, how white do you think is that Cibao region currently? I know that the population there is supposed to be much whiter than the national average. But how white is the region exactly, when compared to Puerto Rico for instance?

Yeah, that is definitely the biggest difference I've seen between the NY area and Florida populations, besides the physical appearance of course. The Dominicans down in the South Florida area tend to be much more classier than the ones up north. It's exactly the same with the Puerto Ricans in NYC compared with the "Nuyoricans". It seems like Miami always attracts the elite of Latin America's population.

I voted that Dominicans are "strictly Latin American", just for the record. It doesn't really matter how black or white the Dominican Republic is, most people there are still fully part of the Latin American cultural sphere. And most black Dominicans have very little connection with the "Afro-Caribbean" culture, like say Afro-Colombians or Afro-Panamanians have for example. Dominican people have a 100% "Latino" culture, that's how they identify and how most people see them, so that's what they're called. There should be no controversy about that.
I'm curious. What exactly do you define as the "Afro-Caribbean culture"?

And Panamanians and Colombians don't really identify with the Caribbean region especially since they are historically and culturally linked to South America.

Also being one being Caribbean or dique "Afro-Caribbean as you called or termed it (whatever that really truly means) doesn't mean that one can't be fully part of Latin America. That's like saying South Americans and/or Afro-South Americans are not fully integrated into or dont or cant relate to "Latin America" etc.

Puerto Rico and Cuba are both Caribbean and at the same time Latin American, and Dominican Republic has a similar context.

Last edited by MelismaticEchoes; 11-08-2013 at 07:12 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 04:08 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,950,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Yes, Dominicans ARE an Afrodiasporic people, group, and nation and they are Afro Caribbean, but my point is that using Afro as a prefix is not necessary because it is obvious and known that there is African roots and heritage in there. In addition it would ignore the other influences and roots like European and Native Anerican etc.

I mean do you ever hear people say "Euro-Caribbean" or "Native American Caribbean", or Asian Caribbean?

At the end of the day it's all Caribbean.

Dominican Republic is BOTH Caribbean and Latin American all at the same time.
The problem is that no one down plays the role of Spain in shaping who Dominicans are. many down play the importance of the African heritage o0f Dominicans. Which is why it must be EXPLICITLY mentioned.

I am not implying either that only Dominicans have this problem. We all do.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
What do you have in common with an African American.

The fact that we both live in the USA. Are both considered "black" and thet being black raises certain issues that confront both Caribbean blacks and AAs. Indeed there are high levels of social contact between Caribbean blacks and AAs, and by the third generation (grand kids of the immigrant generation) there is really little difference. Are Bill Thompson, David Patterson, etc AA or West Indian?

So yes indeed I have certain cultural/enviromental commonalities with Hispanic Caribbean people, and US attitudes towards race and its impact on blacks (regardless of origin) suggests that there are other ties to AAs.

And let us face facts. Anglophone Caribbean blacks and AAs were both brought over from Africa and both colonized by people whose origins were in the British Isles...so there is much over lap. The main difference is that we didnt have Jim Crow, and we are a numeric majority in most parts of the Anglophone Caribbean (and where we are not as in Trinidad, Guyana and Belize, other non white groups are).

Old 11-11-2013, 04:23 PM

[quote=MelismaticEchoes;32153959]I'm curious. What exactly do you define as the "Afro-Caribbean culture"?

[quote]

One must first define who is and who isnt "Caribbean". We have Colombia and Venezuela who have long Caribbean coastlines, but do not define themselves as such, but do have Caribbean coastal regions which are culturally distinct from their interiors. True to a degree for Central America.

And then we have Guyana and Suriname, which lie outside of the Caribbean, but which have extensive ties to the Caribbean islands, and almost none with Brazil. In fact Guyana faces hostility from Venezuela and relies on CARICOM to help protect its territorial integrity whne it advances its claims in international forums.

And then we have Brazil which shares much in its culture and history with the Guyanas and the rest of the Caribbean Basin. And what of New Orleans, which also has had strong ties to the Caribbean?

But if we figure that out maybe it can be defined by the fact that its core cultures are defined by the experiences of its Afrodescendant populations who developed creole culotures which drew on their African, European and Indigenous heritages. With Asian influences important in some of these societies.

It is not ONE culture however. As the histories and demographics of each society varied.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:45 PM

777 posts, read 841,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
He has 2 black parents? Hmm. Could have fooled me! I heard from some sources that he is bi racial. Perhaps both of his parents are biracials or mixed. I'm just curious on what his full mixed lineage or ancestry or family history.
Or maybe both his parents are black. Black people come in all shades.

Are you also curious about white celebrities full mixed ancestry?

Old 01-21-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO69 View Post
A few centuries later and that bastard trujillo is in office and decides his nation is too dark and decides to invite Jews, Germans, Arabs and even asians to a lesser extent in a bid to whiten the land. This bastard even goes as far as to exterminate thousands of hatian migrant workers and many black domincans all in the name of racial cleansing. Funny thing is alot of dominicans won't tell you that their bastard hero had haitian ancestry himself. They wont tell you that the white looking dominicans are mostly centered in Santiago with last names like Goldberg or heir rudolf and are mostly imports from the earlier part of the last century.
An informative must see video on DR and it's unique experience, culture, genetics, and history:

Review: Black in Latin America, Haiti & the DR, An Island Divided. P1, the DR - YouTube

Old 01-21-2014, 01:16 AM

Debunking "Blacks in Latin America Dominican Republic" Monuments"expoused" - YouTube

Old 01-31-2014, 05:29 AM

An excellent in depth read on the topic and matter at hand:

Black in Latin America | Kontak

Old 01-31-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I just came back from there.

I consider them typical Latin American. They have much more in common with Cuba, Puerto Rico, Panama, the Caribbean and Pacific coasts of Colombia and Venezuela; than they do with the rest of the Caribbean.

It even feels like a typical Latin American country, while in other Caribbean countries it feels more, well, Caribbean -the exception may be Haiti which is just extremely unique-.

One thing that greatly distinguishes the DR from the rest of the Caribbean is the large number of mixed race people seen almost everywhere. You will see so many people with a combination of racial features that is almost unknown in other islands, except maybe in PR and Cuba. My suggestion is to not go by what you see in videos or pictures, you have to be there to see how mixed the place truly is, both in terms of quantity of mixed race people and in terms of mixture of races. I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say here.

Americans have a tendency to think that Latin Americans are only those of Mexican/Central American origin, but in reality it's a mixed bag down there and you can group all those countries into at least four major subcultural groups:

The Afro-Latin (or as they call it, the Mulatto Latin America) would be the countries I mentioned already.

The Mestizo countries would be Mexico, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, the interior of Colombia, and Paraguay.

The Indigenous (or Indian) countries would be Guatemala, Peru, Ecuador and Bolivia.

The Euro countries would be Argentina, Uruguay and Chile (this one is really majority Mestizo, but they are predominantly European in culture and habits, and their appearance is predominantly European, IMO).

And then there's Brazil which is a world of its own.

This is why people need to travel. You will learn that few countries, especially in Latin America, fit nicely in generalized labels.

All the countries I grouped here have more in common among themselves than they do with the rest of the region, but they have more in common as a region than they do with countries outside of it. Even though I put Brazil on a category of its own, its mostly due to the Portuguese heritage. Had Brazil been of Spanish heritage but the current racial/cultural admixture, it would had easily fitted into the Afro-Latin group, especially with the Spanish Caribbean islands.

One thing that may be a surprise to many people here is that I didn't noticed much denial of anything African. Maybe its a generational thing and the newer generations are more open to that, but I really didn't see any major signs of denial. Race appears to not be a big deal since you will see people of all types enjoying each others company quite often and racial tensions appear to be almost unknown. I would even say that the concept of race simply doesn't exist for most people down there. That's what it seem to me.

I was there for three weeks, for whatever that is worth.

Oh yes, and before I forget, one other thing that really distinguishes the DR from the rest of the Caribbean is the large number of exotic/attractive looking people. Its unbelievable. In this aspect it really resembles Brazil.
You can exotic/attractive looking people in any part of the Caribbean or the world for that matter. That's not exclusive to just the Dominican Republic. IJS.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Or maybe both his parents are black. Black people come in all shades.

Are you also curious about white celebrities full mixed ancestry?
That's nonsense. Black doesn't come in all shades. You could argue that people who choose to identify as black come in all shades, but most of the times, those people don't have fully black ancestry.

Smokey Robinson has mixed ancestry definitely. One source said that he has a white parent. He is definitely mixed race or of mixed ancestry period.

As for white people, many whites are mixed ancestry as well and many whites have openly acknowledged their African ancestry and Native American ancestry. White racial purity is a myth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or