U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you view Dominicans?
Strictly Latin American. 40 33.61%
Afro-Latino 65 54.62%
Strictly Afro-Caribbean. 14 11.76%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 05:25 PM

7,457 posts, read 5,980,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
An excellent in depth read on the topic and matter at hand:

Black in Latin America | Kontak

In Cuba people do identify as Cuban and also as black, mulatto, mestizo, white or what ever. Dont know why there is an either/or debate, as indeed its obvious from this site that many/most American blacks also see no contradiction being "American", and yet claiming a "black" identity as well, though they will argue about what name should be applied to it.

Indeed in Cuba there were even black social clubs where middle class blacks could have mixed with like minded people, without under going the humiliation of being rejected by the white clubs, and ignored if they attempted to join the mulatto clubs. And it appears as if these are reappearing as Cuban blacks face increased challenges as Cuba transforms into a crony capitalist state.

"Pichon" by Carlos Moore, and AfroCuban, outlines much of what racial identity in Cuba was all about prior to the revolutionary. It will be very familiar to some one from the English speaking Caribbean where sharp boundaries separating whites from mulattos, and mulattos from blacks, existed.

Brazil has also had a history of black organizations advocating for black empowerment. While in Brazil it is problematic to determine who is "black", it clearly goes beyond those who identify as "preto", because one can easily see that the darker mulattos under go the similar levels of socio economic exclusion.

JSTOR

Black Movement of Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You will note that, despite what some will allege, the black movement in Brazil pre dates the recent attempts by "blacks" in Brazil to improve their socio economic position. So it is not an attempt, as they allege, of a tiny minority (many of whom will be described as mulatto in Brazil) to "import US racial tensions". Indeed its development parallels that of attempts by black Americans as they developed the NAACP, Urban League and other groups.

It will be the various dictatorships which Brazil encountered, which stifled the redevelopment of these groups until the last 20 years. Thanks to these groups, and to others, the debate in Brazil has now changed. The notion that racism/colorism hasnt been a major issue blocking the upward mobility of blacks and dark mulattos, has been debunked, by many (including the last THREE presidents). Though there is still a loud group who wave the "Brazil is a racial paradise" dogma.

Colombia also has an increasingly vocal black empowerment movement, much of it being constructed around people who have origins in the Choco regions, but people from the Caribbean coast are also involved.

In Central America, where clusters of non Hispanic blacks exist, such movements are also vital. To the extent that in many places the existence of a "colonial" black population has been all but ignored, Panama being an example of this. In Panama it appears as if the Antillanos and the Coloniales are now working together to ensure upward mobility of blacks, this fight having started among the Antillanos because of the sharp racism that they suffered at the hands of both the whites in the Canal Zone, and the light skinned Panamanian elites.

Indeed one can even find such movements in countries like Peru, and Uruguay with their very small populations of blacks/mulattos/zambos.

So a mixed person, with vague African ancestry, has his perspective, and there are others who have theirs. He choses to get caught up in the "what do I call myself" debate. Others operate from the point of view that such a debate is irrelevant because it doesnt address the point that most of these people remain at the bottom of the ladder, despite the tremendous growth of thye upper middle class in Latin America over the past 20 years.

It has become obvious that there has in the past 10 years been a heightened visibility of Brazil's population of people who are visibly Afro descendant, and this came AFTER the various black empowerment movements, inspired by actions of blacks in the English and French speaking parts of the Americas, where loud cries for black upward mobility became especially shrill after WWII.

And its become obvious that blacks/dark mulattos in other parts of Latin America are drawing inspiration from what has been happening in Brazil. The progess in Brazil doesnt come from its supposedly near absence of racism. It comes from the evidence that black empowerment groups, and others have provided to show that racism in Brazil has always existed and has contributed immensely to the low socio economic status of most blacks and dark mulattos.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:24 PM

2,241 posts, read 2,689,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I just came back from there.

I consider them typical Latin American. They have much more in common with Cuba, Puerto Rico, Panama, the Caribbean and Pacific coasts of Colombia and Venezuela; than they do with the rest of the Caribbean.

It even feels like a typical Latin American country, while in other Caribbean countries it feels more, well, Caribbean -the exception may be Haiti which is just extremely unique-.

One thing that greatly distinguishes the DR from the rest of the Caribbean is the large number of mixed race people seen almost everywhere. You will see so many people with a combination of racial features that is almost unknown in other islands, except maybe in PR and Cuba. My suggestion is to not go by what you see in videos or pictures, you have to be there to see how mixed the place truly is, both in terms of quantity of mixed race people and in terms of mixture of races. I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say here.

Americans have a tendency to think that Latin Americans are only those of Mexican/Central American origin, but in reality it's a mixed bag down there and you can group all those countries into at least four major subcultural groups:

The Afro-Latin (or as they call it, the Mulatto Latin America) would be the countries I mentioned already.

The Mestizo countries would be Mexico, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, the interior of Colombia, and Paraguay.

The Indigenous (or Indian) countries would be Guatemala, Peru, Ecuador and Bolivia.

The Euro countries would be Argentina, Uruguay and Chile (this one is really majority Mestizo, but they are predominantly European in culture and habits, and their appearance is predominantly European, IMO).

And then there's Brazil which is a world of its own.

This is why people need to travel. You will learn that few countries, especially in Latin America, fit nicely in generalized labels.

All the countries I grouped here have more in common among themselves than they do with the rest of the region, but they have more in common as a region than they do with countries outside of it. Even though I put Brazil on a category of its own, its mostly due to the Portuguese heritage. Had Brazil been of Spanish heritage but the current racial/cultural admixture, it would had easily fitted into the Afro-Latin group, especially with the Spanish Caribbean islands.

One thing that may be a surprise to many people here is that I didn't noticed much denial of anything African. Maybe its a generational thing and the newer generations are more open to that, but I really didn't see any major signs of denial. Race appears to not be a big deal since you will see people of all types enjoying each others company quite often and racial tensions appear to be almost unknown. I would even say that the concept of race simply doesn't exist for most people down there. That's what it seem to me.

I was there for three weeks, for whatever that is worth.

Oh yes, and before I forget, one other thing that really distinguishes the DR from the rest of the Caribbean is the large number of exotic/attractive looking people. Its unbelievable. In this aspect it really resembles Brazil.
You can find exotic/attractive looking people in any part of the Caribbean or the world for that matter. That's not exclusive to just the Dominican Republic. IJS.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:16 PM

613 posts, read 898,081 times
The answer is simple. They are not mutually exclusive. Is it both.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:23 AM

9,845 posts, read 22,263,808 times
Dominicans have very strong African influences but there is just as much push on the other side too. That is in essence what DR is culturally. A not always smooth mix between Euro, Indigenous, and African cultural influences.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 4,078 times
are caribeans

black or not, just cares to "white" "american" people

Old 02-09-2014, 12:56 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,917,173 times
Silly question. you cant call a full white dominican Afro-latino. Dominicans are latin americans - FACTS.

They do have plenty of Afro latinos, and the majority of the country does have some of black blood in it. But off coarse they have other groups, asians, arabics, whites etc (Those are not afro caribbean people)

Afro-caribbean by definition is just someone from the caribbean who is of that decent. Im Haitian and in Haiti we have arabic people, and by no means are those people "AFRO-CARIBBEAN"

Old 02-09-2014, 01:22 AM

16,410 posts, read 26,350,004 times
All of my friends who were from DR consider themselves Latin American.

Why do white people feel the need to tell people in other countries what they are? All of these classifications are just stupid.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:05 PM

334 posts, read 361,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Silly question. you cant call a full white dominican Afro-latino. Dominicans are latin americans - FACTS.

They do have plenty of Afro latinos, and the majority of the country does have some of black blood in it. But off coarse they have other groups, asians, arabics, whites etc (Those are not afro caribbean people)

Afro-caribbean by definition is just someone from the caribbean who is of that decent. Im Haitian and in Haiti we have arabic people, and by no means are those people "AFRO-CARIBBEAN"
Many Arabs are mixed with African ancestry.

Afro Caribbean can also be a cultural term as well.

Afro Caribbean and black do not mean the same thing

Old 03-20-2014, 02:08 PM

334 posts, read 361,007 times
Dominican Republic qualifies as all of the above choices listed and more and then some.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:20 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,162,129 times
Why not both?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or