U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you view Dominicans?
Strictly Latin American. 40 33.61%
Afro-Latino 65 54.62%
Strictly Afro-Caribbean. 14 11.76%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:50 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,866,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Na I disagree a bit. My mom lived in guadeloupe for a while (she's Haitian-Dominican) and I lived in montreal for a while growing up and they've got some deep complexes when it comes to language. Elsewhere in the francophone world people tend to appreciate speaking French even though they'll usually switch to english since as you said their english is likely better than our french.
Oh your part Haitian? Idk why I thought you were fully Hispanic.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:42 PM

695 posts, read 737,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Oh your part Haitian? Idk why I thought you were fully Hispanic.
lol not at all. I speak spanish but I don't strongly identify with Latin culture too much, mostly because I didn't live around many latinos until I moved to NY.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:42 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,866,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
lol not at all. I speak spanish but I don't strongly identify with Latin culture too much, mostly because I didn't live around many latinos until I moved to NY.
I tend to think every poster in the Americas forum is Hispanic except for caribny lol

Old 04-05-2014, 12:52 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,939,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I've

Heres a recent video during a reunion in Havana of the President of the Republica Dominincana giving Ralph Gonsalves, the prime minister of St Vincent and the grenadines a verbal thrashing for criticising them over Haitians in their country , basically for sticking his nose where it doesn't corespond.

You can say what you want but the St Vincent PM got the DR to do exactly what he wanted them t do.

Now the DR is actually moving forward to regularizing these Dominicans rather than pretending that they are Haitians, as was the original plan.

And yes it its his business.

1. The DR is applying to join CARICOM.......why if it is so Latin and not Caribbean in any way? I mean why doesn't the DR apply to join the EU at that rate, so joined and defined only by its Spanish colonial heritage? If the DR doesn't think that what they do isn't CARICOM's business then they ought to immediately withdraw their application to join.

2. Haiti is a member of CARICOM, and despite all the internal bickering, they do tend to hold one head when it comes to external matters.

3. The St V PM was chairman of the Council of CARICOM heads of state and his role is to act as spokesperson.

What will Dominicans sooner dance to? Haitian music and reggae, or Bolivian music? [Reggaeton any one]. I mean one might as well claim that Australia is part of Jamaica as many of them reggae. People around the world do tend to like Caribbean music.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:36 PM

367 posts, read 761,867 times
I see them as mostly Spanish and African mixed Caribbean islanders with significant Native ancestry as well.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:37 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,474,027 times
Dominicans have roots mixed from pretty much all over the world, which is a very remarkable thing.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:01 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times
Hmm...I don't put them in any of those boxes. I doubt if they put themselves into any of those boxes either.

Dominicans are just Dominicans.

When I think 'Latin American', I have an image of the Spanish-speaking Mestizo-dominated countries - i.e. Mexico, Peru.

When I think 'Afro Latino'...wait, I have never thought 'Afro Latino' in my life. That implies a strongly African country that speaks Spanish. Most 'African' are either English or French or (controversially) Portuguese speakers, and (controversially) immune to the traditional 'Latino' label.

'Afro Caribbean' is another unusual term. Most all of the Caribbean has African influences...and to use that term, I think kind of 'Fastafarian'...but I wouldn't put DR into that category.

When I think of Dominican Republic, I think of Sammy Sosa...baseball, and a population of people that can have a very 'mulatto' look. (Mixed black/white look). They're just Dominicans.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,299,133 times
Dominicans consider themselves "Spanish", as in the European Spanish. They relate more to Europeans as opposed to their Haitian counterparts. I personally view them as Afro-Caribbean.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Hmm...I don't put them in any of those boxes. I doubt if they put themselves into any of those boxes either.

When I think 'Latin American', I have an image of the Spanish-speaking Mestizo-dominated countries - i.e. Mexico, Peru.

When I think 'Afro Latino'...wait, I have never thought 'Afro Latino' in my life. That implies a strongly African country that speaks Spanish. Most 'African' are either English or French or (controversially) Portuguese speakers, and (controversially) immune to the traditional 'Latino' label.

'Afro Caribbean' is another unusual term. Most all of the Caribbean has African influences...and to use that term, I think kind of 'Fastafarian'...but I wouldn't put DR into that category.

When I think of Dominican Republic, I think of Sammy Sosa...baseball, and a population of people that can have a very 'mulatto' look. (Mixed black/white look). They're just Dominicans.
Equatorial Guinea is a Spanish speaking country in Africa.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

The term mestizo is vague & ambiguous. Most mestizos have African a ancestry as well in varying degrees & other admixtures. Mestizo clan entail different things at this point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or