Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you view Dominicans?
Strictly Latin American. 40 33.61%
Afro-Latino 65 54.62%
Strictly Afro-Caribbean. 14 11.76%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:58 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
They tend to be really hateful of Black Americans when the move to the states. Yet I've recently noticed they have there a handful of black dominican playing prominent roles as black americans in tv and movies. Like you have this one dominican girl playing Nina Simone. A DOMINICAN PLAYING NINA SIMONE! A proud Black woman! And they have her are putting makeup to make her look darker (aka BLACKFACE!) It's insane and racist. Let a Black person play a prominent dominican as star role a movie and see how they react.
Who is hiring the Dominicans for these roles?

Are they working for Dominican movie and television producers or American ones? If American, are they African American producers or other types of Americans?

Are the Dominicans island-born or Dominican-Americans?

I agree with you that African Americans should be playing the roles of their own heroes and historical people, but I think you are putting the blame in the wrong place. Dominicans are not able to get into the American movie/television industries unless the Americans themselves are willing to hire them.

If we take into consideration that the typical Dominican is much more racially mixed than a typical African American and on average are seen as more attractive (just like mixed race Americans tend to be seen as more attractive than more African looking Americans), then this is definitely going to hamper the opportunities for many more African looking African Americans.

But the issue here is not who is offering themselves for these roles (lets face it, people are following the money), but who is actually hiring them. I think its not Dominican movie/television producers, because they tend to hire their own people for their own television programs/movies.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:29 PM

251 posts, read 637,441 times
Quote:
If we take into consideration that the typical Dominican is much more racially mixed than a typical African American and on average are seen as more attractive (just like mixed race Americans tend to be seen as more attractive than more African looking Americans), then this is definitely going to hamper the opportunities for many more African looking African Americans.
Sir, you come off as colorstruck and as a closet White Supremacist. You buy in to the notion that light skinned equals beauty when there are PLENTY of lightskinned people that are hideous. And many African Americans are just mixed as Dominicans. There are 10 million Dominicans an 45 million Black Americans. Millions of us are phenotypically mulattoes as well. And plenty of Dominicans are unattractive. Everything I've said about latinos you proved to be true in that last post. I don't care if Dominicans consider themselves Martians. They getting over on the hard fought earn gains of Black Americans. They come to America thinking the are better that Blacks when they bring nothing to the table. The movie is about the struggle of a Darkskinned Black women. Why on earth would pick an Dominican other than to be spiteful. She should remove herself from this role and future roles where an Black American is required. Tell her to make about Dominican self hatred and leave us alone.

I guess this mixed Dominican tired turning himself into a lightskinned Black person (lol)

African American

Old 04-15-2013, 05:55 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,070 times
Quote:
Sir, you come off as colorstruck and as a closet White Supremacist. You buy in to the notion that light skinned equals beauty when there are PLENTY of lightskinned people that are hideous. And many African Americans are just mixed as Dominicans. There are 10 million Dominicans an 45 million Black Americans. Millions of us are phenotypically mulattoes as well. And plenty of Dominicans are unattractive. Everything I've said about latinos you proved to be true in that last post. I don't care if Dominicans consider themselves Martians. They getting over on the hard fought earn gains of Black Americans. They come to America thinking the are better that Blacks when they bring nothing to the table. The movie is about the struggle of a Darkskinned Black women. Why on earth would pick an Dominican other than to be spiteful. She should remove herself from this role and future roles where an Black American is required. Tell her to make about Dominican self hatred and leave us alone.

I guess this mixed Dominican tired turning himself into a lightskinned Black person (lol)

African American
Here goes the "poor us" mentality that won't let some AAs progress! It is true that there are plenty ugly Dominicans as one could safely say that a good percentage of the world's population in general doesn't qualify as "pretty", but begging your pardon, I myself find the mulattos in the D.R. a lot more attractive than the few I've seen here and you can call me a racist if you like, but to me it just boils down to esthetic preference.

I want to say that when I moved to this country over 30 years ago, and learned about American history in more depth, I quite sympathized and felt very sorry for American blacks, and even to this day I've cried when seeing "Roots" again. However, upon observing the behavior and present attitude of many AAs I cannot understand how they expect to gain respect that way. The general attitude is like "the world owes me" and anyone of a difference race is often treated with rudeness and/or contempt. And you yourself just expressed an attitude of "if you're not for us you're against us", what's that about??? Why would you expect people from other cultures who just by accident happen to share a somewhat similar racial mixture to fully identify with you when even all AAs in the U.S.A. are NOT united in the first place? And do you want to know the reason why? Because not all came from the same tribes/ethnic groups in Africa! Anyone who's ever watched the PBS show "Finding Our Roots" with Henry Louis Gates, Jr., you knows this. Africa is a BIG continent and just because the original inhabitants were/are black doesn't mean they all get along either, all you have to think is about all the ethnic "cleansing" genocides perpetrated there in many different countries, blacks against blacks! So please, wake up and try to be more realistic. Dominicans, Haitians, Bajans or whatever do NOT owe AAs anything, most migrated here to get a better life just like people of any other race, many of us have become American Citizens and we do NOT want to be expected to identify with yet another group just because it offends people who apparently can never be sufficiently satisfied.

With that said, I don't really approve of Hollywood producers and casting directors hiring actors of another ethnicity to portray either AAs or Asians (which happens too!) when there are already so many good actors available for the roles because I guess I would feel slighted if the situation were reversed. All I can think of is that those in charge don't really care or maybe they were looking for something specific in the actors and found it in "someone else", but none of us could exactly know all the details involved. All I can suggest is that if you are so displeased with the situation, rather than venting here how about if you start a petition at one of several online sites and address them to the right people in Hollywood? I'm sure that would eventually get the attention of those who can really make the changes you seek.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:25 PM

[quote=TiredOfSFL;29139054][color=Navy]Here goes the "poor us" mentality that won't let some AAs progress! It is true that there are plenty ugly Dominicans as one could safely say that a good percentage of the world's population in general doesn't qualify as "pretty", but begging your pardon,

Quote:
I myself find the mulattos in the D.R. a lot more attractive than the few I've seen here and you can call me a racist if you like, but to me it just boils down to esthetic preference.
Who cares if you like Domo mulattoes more? You probably like them so much because you can go to DR sexually exploit them so easily, since DR is such a hot spot sex tourist and pedophiles.

Quote:
I want to say that when I moved to this country over 30 years ago, and learned about American history in more depth, I quite sympathized and felt very sorry for American blacks, and even to this day I've cried when seeing "Roots" again. However, upon observing the behavior and present attitude of many AAs I cannot understand how they expect to gain respect that way. The general attitude is like "the world owes me" and anyone of a difference race is often treated with rudeness and/or contempt. And you yourself just expressed an attitude of "if you're not for us you're against us", what's that about???
I don't need your friendship. And I don't yours if you don't want mind. And obviously you don't. I'd rather have autotomy. To me that's more important.

Quote:
Why would you expect people from other cultures who just by accident happen to share a somewhat similar racial mixture to fully identify with you when even all AAs in the U.S.A. are NOT united in the first place? And do you want to know the reason why? Because not all came from the same tribes/ethnic groups in Africa!
If it wasn't Black Americans DOMINICANS AND A HOST OF OTHER "MIXED PEOPLE" WOULD BE STILL SITTING ON THE BACK OF THE BUS!

Quote:
Dominicans, Haitians, Bajans or whatever do NOT owe AAs anything, most migrated here to get a better life just like people of any other race, many of us have become American Citizens and we do NOT want to be expected to identify with yet another group just because it offends people who apparently can never be sufficiently satisfied.
I'll say it again, IF IT WASN'T FOR BLACK AMERICANS, DOMINICANS AND A HOST OF OTHER PEOPLE WOULD BE STILL SITTING ON THE BACK OF THE BUS!

Quote:
With that said, I don't really approve of Hollywood producers and casting directors hiring actors of another ethnicity to portray either AAs or Asians (which happens too!) when there are already so many good actors available for the roles because I guess I would feel slighted if the situation were reversed.
It's a smack in the face to Black people. Women especially, they reserve better that. EVEN Nina Simone's family is against the making of this film.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 PM

[quote=phillystress215;29140307]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
[color=Navy]Here goes the "poor us" mentality that won't let some AAs progress! It is true that there are plenty ugly Dominicans as one could safely say that a good percentage of the world's population in general doesn't qualify as "pretty", but begging your pardon,

Who cares if you like Domo mulattoes more? You probably like them so much because you can go to DR sexually exploit them so easily, since DR is such a hot spot sex tourist and pedophiles.

Gee, I guess you know because you sat next to me in the airplane, right? I can see what kind of peson you really are when you resorted to insulting a total stranger and put the D.R. down, for your information Mr. "Poor Me", I was born and raised there so I do owe my country of birth some loyalty, and besides, haven't you heard that beauty is in the eye of the beholder? But it all depends, I surprised myself when I found this African man quite attractive when I saw him in a movie (but part of it is also the personality he portrayed and the way he carries himself).

I don't need your friendship. And I don't yours if you don't want mind. And obviously you don't. I'd rather have autotomy. To me that's more important.

Who mentioned friendship??? I couldn't be less interested in befriending people who spend their life with a huge chip on their shoulders as neither do any normal people, Dominicans or not. In any case, I've learned to take people INDIVIDUALLY and not in bulk, even if I may have a generalized impression of AAs, I'm smart enough to know that there are some very nice ones too - and THANK GOD FOR THAT!!!

If it wasn't Black Americans DOMINICANS AND A HOST OF OTHER "MIXED PEOPLE" WOULD BE STILL SITTING ON THE BACK OF THE BUS!

Really? Do you think Dominicans would've been dumb enough to want to come live here otherwise??? again! But I DO admire MLK Jr., perhaps him and the others like him I would thank, but the modern AAs, erm, NO!

I'll say it again, IF IT WASN'T FOR BLACK AMERICANS, DOMINICANS AND A HOST OF OTHER PEOPLE WOULD BE STILL SITTING ON THE BACK OF THE BUS!

Fine, say as many times as you like, that's your right! But I'd thank Rosa Parks baby, not YOU or anyone like you.

It's a smack in the face to Black people. Women especially, they reserve better that. EVEN Nina Simone's family is against the making of this film.

That part I guess I do agree with, but don't put all the blame on the actress, as the saying goes, it takes 2 to tango and if she's AMERICAN-born then probably to the producers it's the "same" thing, all they care about is making money, not being politically correct. So since you feel so strongly about it I too will say again why don't you start a petition instead of bellyaching here???

Old 04-15-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Really? Do you think Dominicans would've been dumb enough to want to come live here otherwise??? again! But I DO admire MLK Jr., perhaps him and the others like him I would thank, but the modern AAs, erm, NO!
You have absolutely no moral authority to judge me. You crawl back in to that luke warm smelly crevice you came out of. You and the Dominican Republic could die and I would produce a smug smirk on my face.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:22 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Not all Dominicans are Afro-Caribbean. There are mixed Ameridian-Spanish Dominicans. And there are pure White Dominicans. And being of Afro-descent doesn't eliminate you from being Latin-American. If you come from a Spanish-speaking country, you're a Latin-American. Latino isn't really a race, it's an identification of the origins of the primary language of that country. Technically, anyone from any country in which the primary language derives primarily from the Romance-Latin languages, than they can be clasified as a "Latino" or as "Latin-American". French, Portugese, Spanish, Castilian-Spanish, Italian are all primarily derived from Latin. Well, I may be incorrect, if I am, feel free to correct me.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Sir, you come off as colorstruck and as a closet White Supremacist. You buy in to the notion that light skinned equals beauty when there are PLENTY of lightskinned people that are hideous.
I never said what I think about this. All I said is that many people out there see mixed people as more attractive than the much more African types. This is clearly noticeable in the media too, especially among African Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215
And many African Americans are just mixed as Dominicans.
On average Dominicans tend to be much more mixed than AA's.

Quote:
There are 10 million Dominicans an 45 million Black Americans.
Don't know what this has to do with anything.

Quote:
And plenty of Dominicans are unattractive.
I know this.

Quote:
Everything I've said about latinos you proved to be true in that last post.
Not really because I'm not even Latino. All that is shining through is whatever agenda you have.

Quote:
I don't care if Dominicans consider themselves Martians.
It doesn't seem like it to me.

Quote:
They getting over on the hard fought earn gains of Black Americans.
I agree with you on this.

Quote:
They come to America thinking the are better that Blacks when they bring nothing to the table.
I don't know about this.

Quote:
The movie is about the struggle of a Darkskinned Black women. Why on earth would pick an Dominican other than to be spiteful. She should remove herself from this role and future roles where an Black American is required. Tell her to make about Dominican self hatred and leave us alone.
The problem is that the people that hired her are not Dominicans. This is why I don't understand why you are taking this out on her or on Dominicans. She was given that role either by a white American or an African American or (insert culture/identity/ethnicity here)-American.

Direct your anger at the direction where the problem actually lies. Its your own countrymen that are choosing foreigners over your own people.

Quote:
Just like Michael Jackson. lol

From what I have investigated, he's back to his normal color and his kids were always as dark as they were when they were born and he was seen with them in public.

That's not quite how it happened with Michael Jackson who went as far as getting plastic surgery to get rid of his African facial features and even adopted white kids out of fear his natural kids would not look white. Then there are many other sad people such as Lil' Kim.

Anyway, most Dominicans don't look like the natural Sosa, but most AA's certainly do look similar to the natural Jackson. In the same manner, a minority -but relatively large- of Dominicans are black and a minority of African Americans are conspicuously mixed.

I'm not even Dominican and even I can see that some people have an agenda against them.

Last edited by AntonioR; 04-15-2013 at 11:51 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
You have absolutely no moral authority to judge me. You crawl back in to that luke warm smelly crevice you came out of. You and the Dominican Republic could die and I would produce a smug smirk on my face.
Well, folks you just saw it with your own eyes, we have here one "heck" of a human being, lol!

I guess YOU do have that authority to judge me and all Dominicans though... I see Seriously, you sound more and more like an angry 5 year old, hahaha! Oh geez, the mean old Dominican woman just made Mr. Poor Me mad, boohoo! Well too bad, I'm here to stay, if you don't like it just go to your own drug infested ghetto in Philly and implode if you like. In reality, you're only making your OWN self look bad and digging your own grave. I'm a firm believer in the Law of Attraction so everything you wish on me/us is really going to befall you, even the Bible says so, do don't mind me, worry about your sorry self, buh-bye!

Old 04-16-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I never said what I think about this. All I said is that many people out there see mixed people as more attractive than the much more African types. This is clearly noticeable in the media too, especially among African Americans.

On average Dominicans tend to be much more mixed than AA's.

Don't know what this has to do with anything.

I know this.

Not really because I'm not even Latino. All that is shining through is whatever agenda you have.

It doesn't seem like it to me.

I agree with you on this.

I don't know about this.

The problem is that the people that hired her are not Dominicans. This is why I don't understand why you are taking this out on her or on Dominicans. She was given that role either by a white American or an African American or (insert culture/identity/ethnicity here)-American.

Direct your anger at the direction where the problem actually lies. Its your own countrymen that are choosing foreigners over your own people.

Just like Michael Jackson. lol

From what I have investigated, he's back to his normal color and his kids were always as dark as they were when they were born and he was seen with them in public.

That's not quite how it happened with Michael Jackson who went as far as getting plastic surgery to get rid of his African facial features and even adopted white kids out of fear his natural kids would not look white. Then there are many other sad people such as Lil' Kim.

Anyway, most Dominicans don't look like the natural Sosa, but most AA's certainly do look similar to the natural Jackson. In the same manner, a minority -but relatively large- of Dominicans are black and a minority of African Americans are conspicuously mixed.

I'm not even Dominican and even I can see that some people have an agenda against them.

Dear Antonio84, do not waste your time trying to talk sense to this jealous excuse for a human being, we should really just feel sorry for him, he's just throwing a tantrum and needs an audience, but we just gave him his 15 minutes so he should get off his soap box now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas