Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you view Dominicans?
Strictly Latin American. 40 33.61%
Afro-Latino 65 54.62%
Strictly Afro-Caribbean. 14 11.76%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 02:10 PM

578 posts, read 963,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Gotcha. IMO, even the darker Dominicans often had a different look than the Haitians. Did you get to Santo Domingo at all? Even the resorts have excursions to go there. Next time I would just like stay in Santo Domingo.
Haiti is actually very mixed and diverse. It's not pure black or in the sense that many make it out to be. It's way more diverse than people underestimate. People need to travel to Haiti and delve deep into it's history and different and unique regions. Haiti is very diverse and very unique.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:17 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
Haiti is actually very mixed and diverse. It's not pure black or in the sense that many make it out to be. It's way more diverse than people underestimate. People need to travel to Haiti and delve deep into it's history and different and unique regions. Haiti is very diverse and very unique.
I agree with you to an extent, although many Dominicans do have a look to them. It is sometimes a matter of self-identification. A Haitian and Dominican may look similar but define themselves differently.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:38 PM

578 posts, read 963,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antillano89 View Post
I've heard about that from many Dominicans here. I know that the country used to have a much larger white population historically than it does now, that is proportion-wise. The Dominican Republic never actually received that many African slaves compared to the other more successful colonies like Cuba for example. The country had a predominantly White-mixed population throughout most of it's history, until the invasion from Haiti. It looks like the DR suffered from a serious case of "white flight" during the Haitian occupations. The majority of the white population over there fled to other countries in Latin American, mostly to nearby Cuba and Puerto Rico. I guess that's one of the main reasons why those countries are whiter than DR presently.

So now, how white do you think is that Cibao region currently? I know that the population there is supposed to be much whiter than the national average. But how white is the region exactly, when compared to Puerto Rico for instance?

Yeah, that is definitely the biggest difference I've seen between the NY area and Florida populations, besides the physical appearance of course. The Dominicans down in the South Florida area tend to be much more classier than the ones up north. It's exactly the same with the Puerto Ricans in NYC compared with the "Nuyoricans". It seems like Miami always attracts the elite of Latin America's population.

I voted that Dominicans are "strictly Latin American", just for the record. It doesn't really matter how black or white the Dominican Republic is, most people there are still fully part of the Latin American cultural sphere. And most black Dominicans have very little connection with the "Afro-Caribbean" culture, like say Afro-Colombians or Afro-Panamanians have for example. Dominican people have a 100% "Latino" culture, that's how they identify and how most people see them, so that's what they're called. There should be no controversy about that.
What do you mean by 100% "Latino" culture?? Does Ecuador and Dominican Republic have the same cultures simply because they speak Spanish? No, they don't have the same exact cultures.

But anyway to make my point, Dominican Republic is just as much Caribbean as it is Latin American. Haiti is Latin American and Caribbean at the same time.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:19 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Well here is the thing. I can understand at times why people may associate looks to certain groups at times. I usually go by mannerisms and speech patterns more so than looks, which is what usually helps me spot out or most of the time accurately guess that that person is Dominicano/a. Looks can factor but it's usually the last resort.

I understand what you are trying to say though.

Especially if one lives abroad and sees people from or of these cultural backgrounds it may color their contextual perceptions and perceptual imaginary.
Well, there are some appearances that are more or less common to certain groups, though it is not absolute. Of course, that's not ruling out speech patterns and mannerisms either. Definitely agree with you that often that is more telling than anything else. But again, my comment was just speaking about my experience while being in the DR, as opposed to being abroad.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:14 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,070 times
Quote:
What do you mean by "Original Dominicans"? The Cocolos came to DR in the late 1800s and early 1900s so they are very Dominicanized by now. How are they not representative of the original populations?

What about the French immigrants that settled in Cibao and San Pedro de Macoris. Hmm?

Oh and what about the many mixed race light skinned Haitians and white Haitians that have lived and settled in DR?

And the many Syrian and Lebanese immigrants in DR?
Hmm, I've observed by reading your posts that you just seem to want to argue or maybe be right all the time, idk, so I'm thinking that whatever I or anyone else posts is never going to satisfy you, so how about just agreeing to disagree???

Obviously, everyone born in Dominican territory IS a Dominican by law, regardless of color, race, etc., so I don't know really what your point is. I was just trying to explain HOW the "color" of the population of some regions changed by the influx of immigrants, just like it has happened everywhere else, and you can make whatever you want out of that. But I think you should at least respect my opinion a bit more as coming from a mixed person myself, born and raised in the D.R. and who has visited more or less regularly since I left in 1975.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 4,668 times
The original dominicans were not a bunch of thightey whitey's as sfl would have you all believe. We all know the indios were there first then along comes Mr conquistador nearly wiping them out then dumping a bunch of Africans on both sides of the island. Now espana quick to get his rocks off, sleeps with the slaves like no tomorrow and spawns half a country of half breeds, France on the other hand made it illegal to bed a slave but as we all know..men will be men hence the reason one side is darker than the other.

Now fast forward a few centrist layer

Old 09-09-2013, 07:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,668 times
A few centuries later and that bastard trujillo is in office and decides his nation is too dark and decides to invite Jews, Germans, Arabs and even asians to a lesser extent in a bid to whiten the land. This bastard even goes as far as to exterminate thousands of hatian migrant workers and many black domincans all in the name of racial cleansing. Funny thing is alot of dominicans won't tell you that their bastard hero had haitian ancestry himself. They wont tell you that the white looking dominicans are mostly centered in Santiago with last names like Goldberg or heir rudolf and are mostly imports from the earlier part of the last century.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:10 AM

308 posts, read 500,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I think most Dominicans consider themselves Hispanic. I haven't meet many Dominicans that consider themselves Afro-descendant.
Dominicans are aware that they are Afrodescent.

Johnny Depp acknowledges proudly that he is Afrodescendant.

Afrodescent and black do NOT mean the same thing.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:48 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
Dominicans are aware that they are Afrodescent.

Johnny Depp acknowledges proudly that he is Afrodescendant.

Afrodescent and black do NOT mean the same thing.
Well said!

+1

Old 11-05-2013, 03:04 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,085 times
Dominicans are all of these things and aforementioned labels. However let's also keep in mind that Afro and Caribbean are NOT one and the same and they are NOT synonymous. Caribbean and African do not automatically mean the same thing.

Caribbean is a multiracial and multiethnic and diverse region with people of all races and ethnicities.

Dominicans are Latin American and Caribbean all at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas