U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 07:26 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
No, I don't think so...

In the city of Belem (in the State of Para), yes, people have more marked indigenous features, and look somewhat "Mexican" or "Peruvian".

In Fortaleza, the majority of the population is mixed of indigenous and European, but the indigenous features are not so marked as in Belem, and people don't look so similar to what is commonly associated with "Mexican" or "Peruvian".

I think people in Fortaleza look more like Venezuelans...
I spent about two weeks in Venezuela, and they had a very heavy black/white/indigeneous mix look to them.

That being said, I think the more traditional 'perception' of Venezuela is of their many Miss Venezuela candidates who seem to be more with the European ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 09:16 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,396,020 times
Race does not equate to ethnicity. For someone as well traveled as you, you sure are one hell of a dunce.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:25 AM

2,564 posts, read 4,651,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I spent about two weeks in Venezuela, and they had a very heavy black/white/indigeneous mix look to them.

That being said, I think the more traditional 'perception' of Venezuela is of their many Miss Venezuela candidates who seem to be more with the European ancestry.

Fortaleza is a racially diverse city. There are blacks in Fortaleza, but they are not very numerous. There are also many brown-skinned people who probably inherits this brown skin more from the Native indigenous ancestry than from African ancestry. And there are many white-skinned people, most of them having some degree of Native indigenous admixture (some have more, others have less). Of course you can find white people with blonde hair and green eyes in Fortaleza. And even people with light-brown skin and green eyes!

Look at this chart of the Von Luschan's skin color chromatic scale:

Von Luschan's chromatic scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most people in Fortaleza have skin colors ranging from number 15 to number 25 on the Von Luschan's chromatic scale.

Of course there are some people who are number 4, and some people who are number 34. It's a racially diverse city.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:17 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Quote:
Fortaleza is a racially diverse city. There are blacks in Fortaleza, but they are not very numerous. There are also many brown-skinned people who probably inherits this brown skin more from the Native indigenous ancestry than from African ancestry. And there are many white-skinned people, most of them having some degree of Native indigenous admixture (some have more, others have less). Of course you can find white people with blonde hair and green eyes in Fortaleza. And even people with light-brown skin and green eyes!

Most people in Fortaleza have skin colors ranging from number 15 to number 25 on the Von Luschan's chromatic scale.

Of course there are some people who are number 4, and some people who are number 34. It's a racially diverse city.
Cool map/graph!

The gradient scale, is that typical for maceio, natal, Recife, as well? From what I know, Sao Luis has more african.

When I look at social networking sites like facebook, quite a few northeasteners look lighter skinned than I'd expect. But maybe social networking in English might be from those with higher incomes, etc. Not sure.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:32 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,759,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I thought Brazilians were divided into really hot, hot, and somewhat less hot.
A travel agent's phrase? I reside there. There are people of all shapes, sizes and colors, just like other places. In some areas they may tend to wear skimpier clothes, regardless of body size, but they're not all hot. You may have seen pictures of models on the beach. Those who can afford it do go to gyms and plastic surgeons in large numbers. Obesity is a large, and growing, problem in Brazil, due in large part to poor eating habits, with rates of diabetes growing each year (as in the U.S.). My wife is an Endocrinologist.

Some Brazilians will contend that Brazil is color blind, and there has been much more mixing of races than in some other countries, but race is a factor. If you look at novelas, you'll see more blacks as servants, etc. (and in uniforms, like you'd see in the U.S. years ago; also in society at large). This is changing over time, but ads, the novelas, etc., tend to emphasize European-looking people (sports is an exception as it is in the States). Gisele Bundchen is the ideal look ideal for many. Economic opportunity is not equal among all racial lines. But everyone seems to have a cell phone and a credit card (with interest rates ranging to well over 100% per year).

Where we are (Ceará), there are mainly whites and browns and in between. Far fewer blacks than in, say, Bahia. You can go to some places in the far south where you'd swear you were in Europe.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
A travel agent's phrase? I reside there. There are people of all shapes, sizes and colors, just like other places. In some areas they may tend to wear skimpier clothes, regardless of body size, but they're not all hot. You may have seen pictures of models on the beach. Those who can afford it do go to gyms and plastic surgeons in large numbers. Obesity is a large, and growing, problem in Brazil, due in large part to poor eating habits, with rates of diabetes growing each year (as in the U.S.). My wife is an Endocrinologist.

Some Brazilians will contend that Brazil is color blind, and there has been much more mixing of races than in some other countries, but race is a factor. If you look at novelas, you'll see more blacks as servants, etc. (and in uniforms, like you'd see in the U.S. years ago; also in society at large). This is changing over time, but ads, the novelas, etc., tend to emphasize European-looking people (sports is an exception as it is in the States). Gisele Bundchen is the ideal look ideal for many. Economic opportunity is not equal among all racial lines. But everyone seems to have a cell phone and a credit card (with interest rates ranging to well over 100% per year).

Where we are (Ceará), there are mainly whites and browns and in between. Far fewer blacks than in, say, Bahia. You can go to some places in the far south where you'd swear you were in Europe.

Hello Samoi!

Are you here in Ceará? In Fortaleza, I guess?

What are your impressions?

About "race", can you say that you have seen any real "racism" here? Besides the so called "wealth gap" between light-skinned and darker-skinned people (that is caused by the slavery past and the lack of social ascension, consequence of poor public education), have you seen any other evidence of "racism"?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Quote:

The map looks to be a reflection of skin colours around the world *before* the great migrations of Europeans (primarily but not exclusively) in the second half of the last millennium. So it really reflects skin colours of indigenous populations. Look at Australia for example - there is no way the current population of Australia is that predominantly dark-skinned.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The map looks to be a reflection of skin colours around the world *before* the great migrations of Europeans (primarily but not exclusively) in the second half of the last millennium. So it really reflects skin colours of indigenous populations. Look at Australia for example - there is no way the current population of Australia is that predominantly dark-skinned.
Yeah, I know...

That's why I posted the chromatic scale, not the map!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:26 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,219,656 times
Quote:

Von Luschan's "skin color chromatic scale" is kind of funny. Folks that have "farmer's tans", "trucker's tans", etc. often possess several of those hues on different parts of their bodies at the same time.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:05 PM

578 posts, read 755,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
I don't think the word mullato was dropped from the US census because it was offensive. I don't think many people in control at that time gave much of a crap as to how offensive it would be. I think it was dropped to help enforce the "one drop rule". People used to also use the terms ochteroon and quadroon to describe people with varying degrees of african ancestory.
The one drop rule only existed and was legally enforced from 1930 to 1967. After 1967 the one drop rule became ILLEGAL, and mulatto and mixed race labels and identities were restored and mixed race conciousness was restored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas