U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How To Pronounce Caribbean?
Ca-ray-BE-an 20 32.79%
Ca-RIB-bean 31 50.82%
Different (please specify) 10 16.39%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:57 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,238,678 times

Advertisements

It depends on my mood, I've honestly pronounced it both ways in the same sentence before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 02:03 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,794,735 times
Interestingly, now that I think of it I used to pronounce it the first way (Car-rib-BE-an) in the past, and shifted to pronouncing it more the second way (Car-RIB-be-an) now, I think in part from getting to know more people from the Caribbean itself and hearing them pronouncing it that way.

This was mainly after I had been a teenager, but maybe it could be influence as well from TV etc. as I get the impression most American standards pronounce it that way.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,605,991 times
I voted different and agree with above post it a mix of both poll results

Ca- RIB- Be- an.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:13 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
The English language does not have any "correct pronunciations". It is a non-phonetic language, and many words are pronounced in various ways by different speakers in different regions or different upbringings. People in Missouri don't even agree on how to pronounce Missouri.

A double consonant, in English, typically signals a preceding short stressed vowel (but not necessarily), so many speakers have probably used that "rule" to stress the short I before the BB. But the word is a derivative of the indigenous inhabitants of the area, the Caribs, a word that is stressed on the A. However, that does not stop us from saying "Canadian" in a way that is accented nothing like Canada.

Local preference is often a guide, as new-OAR-linz is in or-LEANZ parish. But English speakers in the Caribbean pronounce about half the words in the language differently from the way Americans do, pronouncing it the way they do would be more of an affectation, than an effort to be correct.

I'm quite sure the style guide for broadcast news organizations like NPR or CBS would specify "CARE-i-BEE-an" and they are a pretty good educated authority.

When you're finished hammering this one out, you can start working on Appalachian: APP-a LATCH-an, or APP-a-LAY-shun.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:23 PM

8,918 posts, read 13,665,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The English language does not have any "correct pronunciations".
Wow, you should really inform every dictionary which includes word pronunciations that they should be removed. The English language does have correct pronunciations but a word can have more than one correct pronunciation - in this case, both are correct.

Caribbean - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
\ˌker-ə-ˈbē-ən, ˌka-rə-, kə-ˈri-bē-ən\

Definition for Caribbean - Oxford Dictionaries Online (World English)
/ˌkarɪˈbiːən, kəˈrɪbɪən/

Old 02-12-2012, 11:40 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
I pronounced it the first way until I heard people on TV - mainly Americans - say it the second way. It's not a word I actually hear spoken much here though, a long way from the Atlantic ocean.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Wow, you should really inform every dictionary which includes word pronunciations that they should be removed. The English language does have correct pronunciations but a word can have more than one correct pronunciation - in this case, both are correct.

Caribbean - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
\ˌker-ə-ˈbē-ən, ˌka-rə-, kə-ˈri-bē-ən\

Definition for Caribbean - Oxford Dictionaries Online (World English)
/ˌkarɪˈbiːən, kəˈrɪbɪən/
As kids we would sometimes have fun by making alternate pronunciations for words. For example, when counting down we'd pronounce 'nine' as 'ni-nee' or 'ni-nay' just for fun .

Of course for most word there is one accepted pronunciation in terms of STRESS and typology. This is usually different from the accent which is the realization of vowel and consonant sounds, but this two can be an aspect of accent (e.g. words like 'defense' or 'vitamin').

Old 02-13-2012, 05:35 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,238,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
As kids we would sometimes have fun by making alternate pronunciations for words. For example, when counting down we'd pronounce 'nine' as 'ni-nee' or 'ni-nay' just for fun .

Of course for most word there is one accepted pronunciation in terms of STRESS and typology. This is usually different from the accent which is the realization of vowel and consonant sounds, but this two can be an aspect of accent (e.g. words like 'defense' or 'vitamin').

Kids can joke, but it doesn't mean it is the right way to say it. I could go to any language, and speak it with my own pronunciations, but does that mean it is all right? That is the same logic jtur used..

Old 02-13-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Kids can joke, but it doesn't mean it is the right way to say it. I could go to any language, and speak it with my own pronunciations, but does that mean it is all right? That is the same logic jtur used..
I wasn't saying it made it right.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
If you're old enough, you will have noticed how dictionaries have changed. They used to state the "correct" pronunciation of words, and give alternate acceptable pronunciation, in descending order of acceptability.

Now, they give several pronunciation, with the advisory that they are in no order of correctness, and they are all OK.

The function of dictionaries used to be to inform the users of the correct use of the language. Now, their purpose is to validate any non-standard usage, in order to make non-standard speakers feel good about themselves.

Dictionaries are not saying "Both are correct". They are saying "We are bound by political correctness to refuse to say that one is correct". If you read through those boring introductory pages to your modern dictionary, you will find it explicitly stated that all pronunciations given are equally correct, without regard to the order in which they are presented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas