U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,082 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to study abroad in Brazil and have decided on a program. However, I could choose to spend half a year studying in Salvador or half a year in Sao Paulo.

Which city should I go to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 05:51 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
This one is incredibly subjective. I lived in Sao Paulo for 6 months teaching English and I visited Salvador.

Let's see...

Sao Paulo:
-More like New York
-Most expensive city in Brazil by far.
-The 'New York' of South America.
-Tons of Italian influence.
-THe largest Japanese population outside of Japan lives in Sao Paulo state.
-A ton of corporations and companies.
-You'll be more job-connected after your MA program, if living in Sao Paulo.

Salvador:
-Epicenter of African-Brazilian culture.
-Beautiful 'Pelhourinho', a popular colonial tourist area in the middle of the city.
-Has Beaches, whereas Sao Paulo you're an hour or two away from the beaches.
-It's significantly cheaper than Sao Paulo on the pocketbook.
-People from Rio & Sao Paulo, often go up to Salvador, Recife etc. to experience THAT Carnival than stay in Rio to experience a 'touristic' one.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:02 PM

126 posts, read 218,541 times
Sao Paulo seems like a pretty decent place to study and stay(nice universities, very cosmopolitan, touristy which means lots of friends and stuff, nightlife is enviable, good neighborhoods, and transport system is also great i think) the only huge problem you will find there is crime, the crime rate in SP is so high that it can be compared to that of some 3rd world countries.
I don't know that much about this Salvador, so I am done!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:23 PM

2,566 posts, read 4,653,986 times
If you are coming to study, I would choose Salvador.

Sao Paulo would be more logical if you were looking for a job, since it's the economic heart of Brazil.

But Sao Paulo has more air polution, more traffic jams, and life is much more stressful there. Life in Salvador is tens of times more "relaxing".

And Salvador is a big city with all the modern infrastructure.

This is a view of Salvador from the air:

And here a closer view:

Old 11-30-2011, 11:26 PM

230 posts, read 783,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflguy2012 View Post
Sao Paulo seems like a pretty decent place to study and stay(nice universities, very cosmopolitan, touristy which means lots of friends and stuff, nightlife is enviable, good neighborhoods, and transport system is also great i think) the only huge problem you will find there is crime, the crime rate in SP is so high that it can be compared to that of some 3rd world countries.
Statistically, Salvador has a much higher crime rate than SP. Even anecdotely I know many people who have robbed and ripped off in Salvador while I know no one who has been robbed in SP. Salvador is a tourist city, and with that comes people who pray on tourists or those who look like tourists. Even long termers can get ripped off. It is very common for somebody to pretend like they are your friend and then rip you off when you least suspect it. But some people love Salvador and if you keep your wits about you maybe it can be fun. SP on the other hand is a working city. Everytime I have been there people have for the most part just treated me like a normal human because they don't get a lot of tourists but more business people. In fact, in all of Brazil, as a gringo, I have been treated, by far, with the most respect and true niceness (versus fake friendliness) in SP.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:43 AM

2,566 posts, read 4,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
while I know no one who has been robbed in SP.

Wow!!!

I watch "Cidade Alerta" with Datena, and it's not what that seems....

Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,419,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflguy2012 View Post
A question here about crime in Sao Paulo, compared to Rio. Rio's crime is also really high, but it is mostly centered in the favellas (slums)...so get outside the slums and the crime rate drops dramatically. Is this the same in Sao Paulo?

Old 12-02-2011, 09:16 AM

21,393 posts, read 19,311,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jor630 View Post
I'm looking to study abroad in Brazil and have decided on a program. However, I could choose to spend half a year studying in Salvador or half a year in Sao Paulo.

Which city should I go to?
Are those the only two places that offer your program of choice?

Old 12-02-2011, 09:18 AM

21,393 posts, read 19,311,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
A question here about crime in Sao Paulo, compared to Rio. Rio's crime is also really high, but it is mostly centered in the favellas (slums)...so get outside the slums and the crime rate drops dramatically. Is this the same in Sao Paulo?
A friend of mine regularly goes for a walk in SP's main park, alone. She has never been robbed or anything.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:06 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Depends on where in Sao Paulo.

I lived in Pinheiros and often went drinking late at night, walking around by myself, in Jardins. (Both are neighborhoods in Sao Paulo). I never had a problem - ever.

But, other parts of Sao Paulo, I had my spidey senses tingling. It just depends on the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or