U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 12:52 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,229,093 times

Advertisements

If you are from the Northeast especially if you are from anywhere near Recife probably some of your ancestors were Cristao-Novo(New Christian) as well.

Last edited by AFP; 03-09-2015 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 01:38 PM

6 posts, read 6,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
If you are from the Northeast especially if you are from anywhere near Recife probably some of your ancestors were Cristao-Novo(New Christian) as well.
Don't know exactly where my grandparents were, but both of my parents were born and raised on the Paraiba state, which neighbors Pernambuco (Recife).
Thanks for the background.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:45 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesso View Post
Don't know exactly where my grandparents were, but both of my parents were born and raised on the Paraiba state, which neighbors Pernambuco (Recife).
Thanks for the background.
When the Dutch gained control of Recife many Novos Critaos(forcibly converted Jews) settled there but once the Portuguese regained control of the area again and imposed the inquisition many of those people fled inland to the Sertao region.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:28 PM

852 posts, read 807,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
I image it would be the same situation with Mexico and Spain.
Mexico and Spain are more or less equals. Brazil and Portugal comparison it's more a tune with Argentina-Uruguay or Russia-Belaurus.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:05 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,458,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Mexico and Spain are more or less equals. Brazil and Portugal comparison it's more a tune with Argentina-Uruguay or Russia-Belaurus.
Do you see the Brazil/Portugal comparison similar to the United States/England relationship?

Old 03-09-2015, 04:19 PM
AFP

Brazilians dislike the Portuguese accent from Portugal and have a difficult time understanding it. I have heard it said that they believe we swallow our vowels and condense syllables to words making it hard to follow.

The two countries basically for the most part turned their backs on each other once Brazil gained independence except for Portugal being a major source of immigration to Brazil.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:45 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Do you see the Brazil/Portugal comparison similar to the United States/England relationship?
That's an interesting question. I'll let that person answer that.

As a side note, I'm an American who lived in Brazil for 6 months, and the parallels between the U.S. and Brazil were amazing. There has never been any other country in the world that I have been to, that has reminded me more of the U.S. than Brazil. Mostly because of the black, white, and immigration. Plus, the amazing spectrum of musical GENRES that both nations create.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:35 AM

2,564 posts, read 4,649,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Brazilians dislike the Portuguese accent from Portugal and have a difficult time understanding it. I have heard it said that they believe we swallow our vowels and condense syllables to words making it hard to follow.
Are you Portuguese?

Of course you swallow your vowels.

You say the word "Portugal" as "Prutgal", and you say the word "operar" as "uprar".

Old 03-10-2015, 08:45 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Are you Portuguese?

Of course you swallow your vowels.

You say the word "Portugal" as "Prutgal", and you say the word "operar" as "uprar".
I am.

There are regional differences in the Portuguese accent as there are in Brazil.

Brazilians however really love their vowels for sure.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:07 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,790,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Similar language.. that is all.

Portugal is a developed nation while Brazil is developing, they are worlds apart
Sorry, but it's not true. Economics are not everything to make countries similar or not.

Both countries are heavily religious, both share more or less the same values, most of people in both sides think similarly. Moreover, the vast majority of people in Brazil descends of people from Portugal, although many of them mixed with amerindians and people from other cultures. Even the law of Brazil recognises this, since people from Portugal may have all the rights of a naturalised brazilian citizen without applying for naturalisation.

Even about economy and politics there are similarities... while Brazil was living under the dictatorship of Getúlio Vargas and later the military rule, Portugal was under the dictatorship of Salazar. Portugal became fully developed after joining the European Union (and much due to this), and Brazil is a much larger country - thus, much more difficult to manage.

In fact, the relation of Portugal and Brazil are not so strong as those from USA and UK, but maybe much stronger than those between Spain and most countries of Latin America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas