Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,510 times

Advertisements

Hahahah y'all know nothing.. algarvios rude?? Hahaha man you are so naive. Its the north of portugal which have the colder rude people.. the more south yoy go the warmer the heart gets in portugal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 06:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,510 times
Also when a Portuguese person asks what you think of Portugal is called having a conversation its not to force you to make compliments. Why would you mal compliments if you don't mean them? Stop trying to flip stuff around. The fact is you make the false compliments because you are fake. Why dont you speak your mind and what you really think when someone asks you that question. Yea its cause you're fake.. must come from your culture and people.. must be in the blood and being carried on.. sorry about that.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:58 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopes123 View Post
Also when a Portuguese person asks what you think of Portugal is called having a conversation its not to force you to make compliments. Why would you mal compliments if you don't mean them? Stop trying to flip stuff around. The fact is you make the false compliments because you are fake. Why dont you speak your mind and what you really think when someone asks you that question. Yea its cause you're fake.. must come from your culture and people.. must be in the blood and being carried on.. sorry about that.
I actually think you are on to something about the fake thing just try to be honest in a business meeting in the US with an opinion that doesn't support the boss's opinion and see how much honesty really is appreciated or telling a coworker what you really think about him and see how far you get.

Brazil and Portugal share a language but the two countries in general pretty much ignore each other.

Portugal is European country with about 3% of its Population being immigrants half of which are from Europe. Brazil is a very diverse country.

Portuguese people are more pessimistic in general Brazilians are more optimistic.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:20 AM

881 posts, read 921,376 times
No comparation. Brazil is like 100 times bigger in area (literally).

Old 03-03-2015, 09:18 AM

564 posts, read 746,793 times
Quote:
Hahahah y'all know nothing.. algarvios rude?? Hahaha man you are so naive. Its the north of portugal which have the colder rude people.. the more south yoy go the warmer the heart gets in portugal.
Quote:
Our experiences are complete opposites, the north of Portugal is way nicer than the south and algarvios are considered the most rude in Portugal by everyone.

And Neuling is absolutely right that the Portuguese have this extremely annoying habit of asking any tourist or foreigner what they think of the country and how much they like it and so on, basically forcing them to give only positive answers. I've seen some interviews conducted by Portuguese reporters on news shows that made me cringe because they were so bad. It's not making conversation, it's looking for approval and it's irritating.

Another annoying Portuguese habit is that they love to hear about the good things about the country, which is understandable as everyone in the world does, but they can't take any criticism, even if valid, just like Lope123 showed.

I also agree that Portuguese society is lacking energy and will nowadays and is plagued with corruption. That's what decades of a closed dictatorship plus an economic crisis do to you I suppose.

On a positive note though things have been changing, the Portuguese are a lot more cosmopolitan then they were 30 years ago and you can already find very industrious and bright people doing great things. There are also many world class scientists, doctors, medical facilities and so on in the country.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:56 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
And Neuling is absolutely right that the Portuguese have this extremely annoying habit of asking any tourist or foreigner what they think of the country and how much they like it and so on, basically forcing them to give only positive answers. I've seen some interviews conducted by Portuguese reporters on news shows that made me cringe because they were so bad. It's not making conversation, it's looking for approval and it's irritating.
Jeez! This is exactly what I was thinking was going on with this Interview with John Malkovich. I'm sure Malkovich likes Portugal, but the questions were a bit 'odd', and Malkovich just gave EXTREMELY generic answers..."I like the geography." "I like fado, I like it very much." "As I said, I like the restaurants".

He's getting some really "do you like us?" questions, and he's answering positively, but no details whatsoever. Just this very generic, "yes, I do. I like this city. Yes."

Funny, as this seems to be what people are talking about what happens in Portugal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCwIjjT77Xc

Old 03-08-2015, 10:28 AM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ I think it's more comparable to the US & England.

Both the US & Brazil are big multi-cultural countries where people mostly speak the language of their former rulers (England & Portugal) but they're not necessarily descended from them.
I think this is more true of the US where most people are not descendants of the English, despite in some regions most people certainly are. I think most Brazilians definitely have Portuguese blood in them, even if often it's mixed with something else.

I don't see Brazil as 'multi-cultural.' Yes, there are many cultures, but there is a national culture and identity that is decidely Brazilian and most Brazilians live that. The US doesn't have much of a national culture or a national identity cemented on cultural peculiarity. The fact that most Brazilians can actually trace full or part of their origin to Portugal while most Americans don't have genetic connections to England probably explain this difference.

In fact, the average Brazilian is slightly more European (overwhelmingly Portuguese) than anything else, according to recent DNA studies. Even the mixed race population is more Portuguese than African or Amerindian.

In the US most of the whites are overwhelmingly European, but English/British ancestry isn't as widespread. Among its non-white population, they are often overwhelmingly non-European and among the ones with significanf European in their racial mixture, a minority of them actually have a genetic connection to England.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:58 PM

6 posts, read 7,650 times
Thanks to this thread I started to read about the Portuguese Empire, that lead me to the Brazilian Empire, that lead me to the Brazilian Empire wars, that lead me to find out Paraguay hold the US president Rutherford B. Hayes as a hero, and to find that he is not so well know or popular president from the American people.

I'm from Brazil by the way. Don't know much about my heritage other than most likely I'm mostly Portuguese, going by both my names being Portuguese, and so my grandparents.

FYI, in Brazil we carry both of our parents last names, and there is no middle names.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:00 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesso View Post

I'm from Brazil by the way. Don't know much about my heritage other than most likely I'm mostly Portuguese, going by both my names being Portuguese, and so my grandparents.

FYI, in Brazil we carry both of our parents last names, and there is no middle names.

The majority of the Portuguese that settled in Brazil were from the North. But if you are from the South especially Santa Catarina or Rio Grande do Sul there is a good chance many of your ancestors were from the Azores islands.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:46 PM

6 posts, read 7,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The majority of the Portuguese that settled in Brazil were from the North. But if you are from the South especially Santa Catarina or Rio Grande do Sul there is a good chance many of your ancestors were from the Azores islands.
I'm from the south (born and raised in São Paulo). My parents and grandparents are all from the northeast region however.
I never had the curiosity of asking about my ancestors, and my father never really talk about their parents. My mother left us when I was 2, and only show up again when I was 8, but we never really connect.
My grandparents lived far away, and never visit. My father only went to see his father once during my whole childhood, and that was a trip that didn't last long. The only thing I remember about that trip is that my grandfather had a room full of antique watches, and know he repaired them for a living.

Edit: I just recall he had an antique car as well, which is very rare to find in Brazil, unlike in US. In fact, I never remember seeing an antique car like that my whole life that I spent in Brazil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas