U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 02:35 AM

6,349 posts, read 8,387,671 times

Advertisements

I've been to Brazil, and was wondering how Portugal compares to it. Is Brazil to Portugal like the US to England?

How similar is the culture and vibe you get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 08:30 AM

2,562 posts, read 4,649,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I've been to Brazil, and was wondering how Portugal compares to it. Is Brazil to Portugal like the US to England?

How similar is the culture and vibe you get?

The differences between Brazil and Portugal are greater than the differences between US and England.

Brazilian culture is heavily influenced by the Portuguese culture, no doubt about that. The Catholic religion is the main influence. The influences in the cuisine and architecture are also very strong.

But there are other influences, and many peculiarities of the Brazilian culture, that make it not identical to the Portuguese culture.

The language is a clear example of the differences. The Portuguese language spoken in Brazil has lots of differences in relation to the Portuguese language spoken in Portugal, specially in the accent. Brazilians have a lot of difficulty to understand the accent form Portugal.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:09 AM

12,677 posts, read 14,059,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
The differences between Brazil and Portugal are greater than the differences between US and England....
You betcha!

The difference between Portugal and Brazil, is like the difference between spending a Saturday night with David Cameron vs spending it with Lady Gaga.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:07 PM

189 posts, read 558,659 times
I image it would be the same situation with Mexico and Spain.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:42 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
^ I think it's more comparable to the US & England.

Both the US & Brazil are big multi-cultural countries where people mostly speak the language of their former rulers (England & Portugal) but they're not necessarily descended from them. Both countries have lots of people from all parts of Europe, lots of descendants of African slaves, and immigrants from the Middle East & Asia.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:52 AM

22,234 posts, read 23,648,002 times
Similar language.. that is all.

Portugal is a developed nation while Brazil is developing, they are worlds apart

Old 12-18-2011, 12:16 PM

21,364 posts, read 19,293,025 times
Depends which region in Brazil you compare Portugal to. Bahia is certainly another universe. It's a bit like comparing Britain to New England or Mississippi in the US.

Some parts in southern Brazil are not thaaat different, and frankly at least at the same level of development as Portugal.

In both countries there is a huge difference between cities and the hinterland. Many older people in rural Portugal have a hard time reading, similar to developing countries including Brazil.

And while in the past the cultural direction was from Portugal to Brazil, it now is the other way round. There is increasing influence from Brazil. Actually, I think the two countries are re-approaching, not least thanks to the common language which, despite the obvious differences, are still the same language and a solid foundation for interaction.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:26 PM

230 posts, read 782,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

Portugal is a developed nation while Brazil is developing, they are worlds apart
Portugal is only considered developed because it has been receiving subsidies from the EU for something like 30 years. If you took away the subsidies and took them out of the Euro which gives an artificial increase the thier GDP, what would they be worth? Maybe they would be on the same level as Argentina, although I think the Argentines are probably more industrious. In the end, just like most of southern europe, Portugal would still be the higher developed end of the 3rd world if it were not attached to Northern Europe.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:13 PM

12,677 posts, read 14,059,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

Regretably, the Portuguese seem to suffer from a pervasive lack of will and energy, it is as if the entire nation has "tired blood."

The people I meet in daily life in Portugal who have zip, verve, courtesy, and a desire to be on the move are the Brazilian, Ukranian, and Russian immigrants. Sometimes I could almost believe the entire country would fall back into its Salazarist slumber without them.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:23 PM

21,364 posts, read 19,293,025 times
On the news they said today that Portugal's prime minister has recommended the unemployed to emigrate to other Portuguese-speaking countries I guess that says a lot... Since none of those countries wants uneducated unemployed immigrants, they will only take the intellectual elite, a brain push a country such as Portugal can't afford one might think. But the PM seems to know better
But since I am tired of those idiotic politicians I am already looking into ways to get to Brazil myself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas