U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 06:03 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,628,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
Fidel Castro's mother is a mulatto. Fiddle Castro is 1/4 black.

Not true, she was descendant of Canarian farmers from Guane, Pinar del Rio.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
His mother is of Spaniard and African descent and his father is a Galician immigrant.

His mother was Cuban, Canarian descent.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The Haitian ELITE have much French influences. The Haitian black masses are way more African than Cuban blacks are.

Be logical. After 1804 there were very few whites left in Haiti. Cuba has always had a white majority, which soared even further after many Spanish migrants moved there in the 19th and 20th centuries. A Cuban black would have had to survive within a Spanish dominated society. Not only the elites, but even among teh working class. Indeed the very composition of the Afrodescendant population in Cuba, comapred to Haiti indicates ths high level of contact.

The vast majority of Afrodescendants are black, and its probably that most are 100% African. In Cuba the mulato population is way bigger than then black population, and blacks have high levels of social contact with whites and mulatos.

So why will your typical Haitian, who was separated from French colonial rule in 1804, and who is socially isolated from the Francophile elites, be less African than a Cuban black who must daily interact with Cuban whites in a society which has ALWAYS been dominated by whites. Cubans blacks not being an isolated group?

The big difference beteen Haitians and other blacks in the Americas is that they were separated from Euro dominated societies at an early period of their settlement in the Americas. Unlike others, they did not under go a period of colonialism. And also unlike others the educational system was (and is) very undevloped so most Haitians were isolated from European ways ofr thinking.

Put a typical Haitian next to a West African. It will amze you as to how similar they are. Put qa Cuban black and its obvious which belongs to which group. And I have been in AfroCuban gatherings so I know what I am talking about.

You might as well claim that white Cubans are more African than Haitian peasants/urban poor at this rate.

Now whites in Cuba are a minority, around 30 percent...not mixed. Most are in the countryside and centers of cities. The third city is white, Holguin. I don't think there's any relation between Haiti, Brazil and Cuba..why, because there are blacks there? Dumb.

Cuban blacks look Cuban just for the fact that blacks, as whites, are very similar between themselves due to a rather limited genetic pull. All whites come from the same places, all blacks too.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
Most Cubans of African descent are descended from the more than 1.3 million slaves imported to Cuba between 1492 and 1886. Even after that time period blacks from Africa were still migrating to Cuba, even voluntarily as well. Blacks have been in Cuba since colonial times.

Cuba is also the most African culturally and most purest or more African traditions maintained than any nation of the Caribbean. Cuba and Brazil are the two most Africanized nations in the Westerm Hemisphere.

And many white Cubans and whites from Cuba have immigrated outside of Cuba elsewhere so that diminished and decreased the white population of Cuba, especially those whites that happened to migrate to Cuba in transit to other nations. Many white populations in Cuba were not permanent and were rather temporary and planned to move on elsewhere to other nations.

I travelled all around Cuba...
Tourists take shots of Habana Vieja, Centro Habana, etc...those are places similar to US Downtowns. Before the communist revolution in 1959, inhabitants in those places were white, they fled, "white flight" and later came different waves of blacks from eastern provinces that had a malthusian birthrate because they were raised and fed by the state.
But there are areas in Havana were you won't see any, only during the day "sundown policies". The countryside is largely white.
I don't think that Cuba is similar to Brazil, Cuba is similar, very similar, to Alabama 20 or 30 years ago.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:40 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,085,065 times
Cuban and Brazilian mulattos overlap. But like someone mentioned earlier, Brazil has an Amerindian component that Cuba lacks.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:54 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,762,269 times
I don't think they look anything alike.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:53 PM

476 posts, read 466,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Cuba & Brazil - two of the most similar looking people?

If not, can you think of another group of people who would be more similar looking to Brazilians? Or more similar to Cubans?
Italians and brazilians.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:39 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,925,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
I travelled all around Cuba...
Tourists take shots of Habana Vieja, Centro Habana, etc...those are places similar to US Downtowns. Before the communist revolution in 1959, inhabitants in those places were white, they fled, "white flight" and later came different waves of blacks from eastern provinces that had a malthusian birthrate because they were raised and fed by the state.
But there are areas in Havana were you won't see any, only during the day "sundown policies". The countryside is largely white.
I don't think that Cuba is similar to Brazil, Cuba is similar, very similar, to Alabama 20 or 30 years ago.

When I see random shots of Havana, and I don't mean the Centro, but of parades where the whole population (is forced to) show up, it looks like a MIXED population with a substantial minority of blacks, but not a whole lot of people who wouldn't stand out in Madrid. Apparently all the descendants of the northern Spanish or now in the USA.

If one were to ask I would say that Cuba has the largest (minority) population of whites, and more blacks than Puerto Rico. The DR has the largest mixed population, but more blacks than many Dominicans will want to admit.

Brazil has a very heavy Euro Afro Amerindo mixed population More Afro than PR, more Amerindo than Cuba or the DR. Maybe as white as Cuba. Of course Brazil is very diverse, arguably more than Cuba.

Now maybe one can say that the average person in Rio looks like their equivalent in Havana, if one can find an average that is.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 11 days ago)

5,167 posts, read 8,019,848 times
Eastern Cuba is much more mulatto than western Cuba where whites have a greater presence. In some parts of central Cuba whites are an absolute majority. In order to have an idea of what the average population of a place is, you must also understand how the population distributes and concentrates in its geography, because sometimes this makes a simple 'look around' somewhat misleading.

http://6thgradegps.wikispaces.com/fi...ap_of_Cuba.gif

As can be seen on the map, there are three main areas where the bulk of Cuba's population concentrates, and two of those areas are on average much lighter than in the eastern area.

The eastern area of is very similar to Dominican Republic, but in Dominican Republic the same rule applies concerning population distribution and density.

http://unosat-maps.web.cern.ch/unosa...7_highres.jpeg

As can be seen on the map, most of the Dominican population concentrates in two areas and these also happen to be the areas with the greatest concentration of lighter skin people. Most of the rest of the country, which is much darker on average, is sparsely populated. So when I say eastern Cuba resembles more the Dominican Republic, I'm referring to the two places of the DR where combined form almost 80% of the country's population, not necessarily what is seen in the tourist areas on the eastern region where roughly 12% of the population lives. Also excluding all the foreigners that are in that country, since I'm comparing the ethnic Cuban population with the ethnic Dominican population.

The same rule applies in Brazil, but since Brazil is a huge country the differences are much more pronounced in one region compared to the next. This also makes generalizing on Brazil's population based on a simple 'looking around' likely to be incorrect.

http://www.populationlabs.com/maps/b...lation_Map.png

I guess the same applies with Puerto Rico, but here we have the added advantage that some skin color/racial distribution maps also exists.

For example, here is a map showing Puerto Rico's population distribution and density.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...0_(sample).jpg

Its very clear that the population is highly concentrated in the Greater San Juan area. A person that visits western Puerto Rico will get the impression that Puerto Rico is much whiter than it really is, because even though that is the whitest region of Puerto Rico and the overwhelming majority of the people there are white, its also one of the least populated parts of the island.

http://i.imgur.com/VoUU9sj.png

When you combine the last three maps with the first map of Puerto Rico I posted here, you get a better idea of the true population composition, even though the last three maps do overlap among themselves because a lot of people are counted in each of those maps due to their racial mixture.

Another advantage of Puerto Rico is that the island isn’t truly flooded with foreigners, so almost everywhere you go you will see almost exclusively ethnic Puerto Ricans. In this case, simply ‘looking around’ can tell you what Puerto Ricans look like, because there aren’t many foreigners sort of in the way that can skew things regarding the composition of the ethnic-native population.

I guess in this context the same can be said of Cuba too, because in Cuba for all practical purposes foreigners don’t exist.

Usually in countries that in recent years have been flooded, the ethnic-native population tends to mentally separate the foreigners from the natives, so if you ask them what their people look like, they will tell you what the average ethnic-native of their country looks like, excluding all the foreigners that may be artificially skewing things. A non-local may not understand these dynamics because he or she didn’t know what the average people looked like in most places before the recent migration flood began.

I guess it can be resumed in that locals know what they are talking about and foreigners should not succumb to the temptation of ignoring what the native-local people say about their own people.

Unfortunately, there aren't many Cubans here.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 11 days ago)

5,167 posts, read 8,019,848 times
In this ancestry DNA study we can see what the average Cuban mixture looks like:

PLOS Genetics: Reconstructing the Population Genetic History of the Caribbean

I haven't found a similar study on Brazilians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or