Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:29 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Cuba & Brazil - two of the most similar looking people?

If not, can you think of another group of people who would be more similar looking to Brazilians? Or more similar to Cubans?

Old 12-21-2011, 07:48 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,638 times
There certainly are many similarities between the two with the exception of the indigenous American and those mixtures since the indigenous people in Cuba were wiped out and what is left of their DNA doesn't make much of a dent in Cuba while it does in Brazil.

I think that the people of Puerto Rico and Cuba are more similar looking. Both have a white European population (Guajiros in Cuba and Jivaros in PR) and they are both mountain people while the African element occupies the coastal areas. Both also have a large mixed Afro-European population which of course so does Brazil.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:49 AM

276 posts, read 762,907 times
It seems to me that the racial diversity in Brazil is enormous compared to Cuba, but I speak from a limited knowledge.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:51 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Of course. Native Americans and indigenous Mexicans look like Brazilians. Peruvians look like Brazilians. Some Polynesian people look like Brazilians too.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:55 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi28 View Post
It seems to me that the racial diversity in Brazil is enormous compared to Cuba, but I speak from a limited knowledge.
I really don't think Brazil is as racially diversified as people like to think. There is black-latino, white-latino, and mulatto. I don't get what is so diverse about that.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:45 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I really don't think Brazil is as racially diversified as people like to think. There is black-latino, white-latino, and mulatto. I don't get what is so diverse about that.

You only forgot the indigenous people (Native South Americans), and the people who are mixed of indigenous and white, and the people who are mixed of indigenous and black, and the people who are mixed of indigenous, white AND black.

And you forgot the descendants of the millions of Japanese immigrants, including those who mixed with other races.

And also the descendants of the millions of Lebanese (Arab) immigrants...

Old 12-21-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Cuba & Brazil - two of the most similar looking people?

If not, can you think of another group of people who would be more similar looking to Brazilians? Or more similar to Cubans?
In my opinion, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Venezuela and Colombia are the countries whose populations are more similar to Brazilians.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:54 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Brazilians are diverse. For instance my wife is tall, very white, and has natural blonde hair. At the same time plenty of Brazilians are black, East Asian looking, middle eastern/western Asian looking, native looking, and everything in between.

In my experience most Brazilians are dark/olive white looking (like sicilians), with black hair, medium height, and brown eyes. In fact very Argentinian looking.

The second biggest group is a mixture between black/indian/white that look similar to Puerto Ricans/Venezuelans/Cuban.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:10 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
I was thinking about this and was really stumped, as my Brazilian friends have dark brown, light brown, and blonde hair, with a mix of either straight or wavy. Their skin color varies from white to brown. So, to help me think about it I checked out this link, which in the end only confused me more.

Brazilian people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I was thinking about this and was really stumped, as my Brazilian friends have dark brown, light brown, and blonde hair, with a mix of either straight or wavy. Their skin color varies from white to brown. So, to help me think about it I checked out this link, which in the end only confused me more.

Brazilian people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LOL!!!

Yes, Brazilian people are very "confusing" to foreigners!!

It's impossible to establish a stereotypical phenotype of "the Brazilian".

There is not a single "predominant phenotype".

Brazilians come in all colors and shapes!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas