U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 03:50 PM

412 posts, read 847,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
It's all America though. Stop thinking United States=America. That's not always the case. Everything South of the US is called Latin America. The native peoples of Latin America were Native Americans, just like in the US. Mexico happens to have some of the largest surviving Native American populations.
No, the native peoples of what is now incorrectly called Latin America spoke Greek (the world's oldest language), as they were descended from Alexander the Great.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:31 PM

43 posts, read 94,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post
No, the native peoples of what is now incorrectly called Latin America spoke Greek (the world's oldest language), as they were descended from Alexander the Great.
I don't believe that's true at all. Alexander the Great existed pretty recent in the timeline of human existence. Your statement suggests that the entire sums of South AND Central America were completely uninhabited for the tens of thousands of years that lead up to his lifetime. Debunked.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:17 PM

412 posts, read 847,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcaribbean View Post
I don't believe that's true at all. Alexander the Great existed pretty recent in the timeline of human existence. Your statement suggests that the entire sums of South AND Central America were completely uninhabited for the tens of thousands of years that lead up to his lifetime. Debunked.
I think you're thinking of the 5th Century figure now known as Alexander the Mighty - in scholarly circles, AtG now refers the the supreme leader of the Andrucians of ~11,000BC who is generally credited as the father of all humanity.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:51 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
Most Mexicans are mestizos, mixed between natives and Europeans, to varying degrees.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:54 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,744,884 times
If Mexicans are considered native Americans then I be classified as native american as well as I part native South American.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 17 days ago)

5,202 posts, read 8,032,452 times
No, only some Mexicans could be considered Native Americans (Aztecs/Mayan descendants). Most Mexicans are Mestizos and as mixed, they are descendants of both, Native Americans and Europeans, for the most part. A mixed person is not equivalent to a whole, just like gray doesn't equals white or black.

Keep in mind that a good chunk (maybe most?) of Mexicans that migrate to the US originate from some of the most Indigenous areas of Mexico (Southern Mexico to be exact), so don't be surprised if many Americans think Mexicans are Native Americans due to what they see through out the US. Heck, even Mexicans that visit the US as tourists are surprised how Indigenous the Mexican immigrants look, not quite representative of what most of Mexico looks like!

In case anyone is wondering, no, I'm not Mexican or of Mexican heritage.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,451,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post
No, Mexicans cannot be native Americans, because Mexico is a different country from America.
Really? Mexicans ARE Americans. So are Canadians, Brazilians, Argentinians, etc. This happens to be the continent of America.

The question should be - Are Mexicans Native United States citizens?

Old 01-05-2012, 09:14 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,417,639 times
everyone from north Canada till Usuhaia are Americans since they are all born in the American continent.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:26 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
No, only some Mexicans could be considered Native Americans (Aztecs/Mayan descendants). Most Mexicans are Mestizos and as mixed, they are descendants of both, Native Americans and Europeans, for the most part. A mixed person is not equivalent to a whole, just like gray doesn't equals white or black.

Keep in mind that a good chunk (maybe most?) of Mexicans that migrate to the US originate from some of the most Indigenous areas of Mexico (Southern Mexico to be exact), so don't be surprised if many Americans think Mexicans are Native Americans due to what they see through out the US. Heck, even Mexicans that visit the US as tourists are surprised how Indigenous the Mexican immigrants look, not quite representative of what most of Mexico looks like!

In case anyone is wondering, no, I'm not Mexican or of Mexican heritage.
Really, I always figured they were mostly from the border states in the north.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:30 PM

11 posts, read 19,968 times
Mexicans (Aztec, Mayan etc) are Indigenous Tribes of Mexico, but NOT Native American/American Indian...

American Indians/Native American had some Asian origins, NOT Hispanic....I know because My Grandma was Sioux and Hopi...and she has been over and over and over her heritage and has done her geneology
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas