U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 03:12 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,120,416 times

Advertisements

I didn't read the thread and someone might have said this but I've noticed a lot of Mexicans have that high cheek bone, American Indian look.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:17 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,120,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
depends on the language. in english, america=usa and usa only and the americas refers to n and s america. but isn't necessarily the same in other languages.

Yeah but in almost any language if I say I'm American, they know I'm from the U.S.A.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:22 PM

99 posts, read 199,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
Anyone from North/South America is an American. Most countries in America however, have created an official name that is distinct from their continent's name. There's no reason why Mexico couldn't be called the united states of America, since Mexico is also made of states in America that are united. However, they chose to call their country Mexico. But since the official name of the USA is simply United States of America, and I guess they didn't want to be called Unitedstatians, people just call them by their continental location which is America. That doesn't mean that Mexicans, Canadians, Argentinians, etc are not Americans, it's just that when someone says they're an American, it's a fair assumption that they come from the USA, since if they came from any other country, they would just use their country's demonym. So therefore, because people generally assume that when someone says they're an American, they come from the USA, the term Americans isn't used as often for other Americans, to avoid confusion.
It's a semantic confusion between the Spanish and English languages. In English, 'America' means the United States almost always, and 'the Americans' refers to the western hemisphere landmasses. In Spanish, the US is called 'Estados Unidos' and 'America' simply means the lands of the West collectively.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
as a white mexican i find this thread mildly offensive. mexican is a nationality, it is not an ethnicity. there are mexicans of all ethnicities. there are amerindian tribes all over the SW US. this is the first time i have heard of any of them considering themselves mexicans. mexico claimed their land for barely a few decades, and put little use to it.
It depends what you mean by ethnicity. To me, anyone who speaks Spanish and practices Mexican customs, regardless of their colour, is an ethnic Mexican. I see ethnicity as being defined by a legend of people (as opposed to necessarily a reality) being akin, either by blood, creed, or in the case of America, mission; and those people following certain cultural tropes and identifying each other as being similar. A Mexican national is a somewhat different thing. It's a bit like in China how you have the ethnic group we know as the Chinese, but are actually called the Han, and then you have the 'zhonghua minzu' which are the 'Chinese people' or 'people of China' and would refer collectively to them as Chinese nationals and include Tibetans, Mongolians and other ethnic groups that are not Han.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:13 PM

2,227 posts, read 4,437,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Yeah but in almost any language if I say I'm American, they know I'm from the U.S.A.
---
Yeah, also in Spanish.
Nobody calls American to an Argentinean or Mexican.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:18 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,770,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsius View Post
It depends what you mean by ethnicity. To me, anyone who speaks Spanish and practices Mexican customs, regardless of their colour, is an ethnic Mexican. I see ethnicity as being defined by a legend of people (as opposed to necessarily a reality) being akin, either by blood, creed, or in the case of America, mission; and those people following certain cultural tropes and identifying each other as being similar. A Mexican national is a somewhat different thing. It's a bit like in China how you have the ethnic group we know as the Chinese, but are actually called the Han, and then you have the 'zhonghua minzu' which are the 'Chinese people' or 'people of China' and would refer collectively to them as Chinese nationals and include Tibetans, Mongolians and other ethnic groups that are not Han.
so according to you someone who acts american is ethnically american?

Old 01-09-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
so according to you someone who acts american is ethnically american?
Yes actually. Well, if they grew up in America and stuff.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:48 PM

15,534 posts, read 17,764,884 times
So Li'l Wayne acts American and Mitt Romney acts American. They are both American. Are they the same ethnicity? I dispute that there is a single American ethnicity, but rather several.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:27 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,985,014 times
It seemed like there is some category somewhere for "Mexican/Latin-American indigenous."

The US does have some Yaqui, who were originally in Sonora by the sounds of it but many moved to Arizona.

Contact

Granted it sounds like maybe some always lived in Arizona, but their might be some who went back and forth.

The census apparently has or had a category for "Latin American Indian", but I don't know that they specify Mexico in it.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...z8faWn6wPvju9A

American FactFinder Help - See 238

Latin American Indians: US Census categorization of foreign natives (Carlos Yescas) - Academia.edu - This mentions Mixtecs and Zapotecs, who are from Mexico.

According to the following almost 7.5% of Mexican immigrants do not have Spanish as their first language. It says two of the largest such groups speak Zapotec or Mixtec instead. It also says the Los Angeles area has up to 65,000 Zapotecs. If that's correct this makes them one of the largest indigenous populations in the US.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...WvUdQzlcmg5O3g

Old 01-11-2012, 07:23 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,560,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsius View Post
You are correct. Mexican is an ethnicity. Mexicans may be any number of races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas