U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:48 PM

8 posts, read 24,414 times

Advertisements

What about the Latin Caribbean? Santo Domingo? San Juan? Port Au Prince?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 06:02 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,558,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Any city between Mexico and Colombia.
Colombia USED to be dangerous before Uribe. Now, it is not bad at all.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:05 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,558,466 times
San Jose is like Disneyland compared to many large US cities like DC, Oakland, Miami, Houston, Detroit, Atlanta, etc. I lived there for awhile and nothing EVER happened. I walked around alone all the time. Medellin? Really? I think it is time to upadate some ideas....... Alvaro Uribe completely changed that country.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,767,656 times
medellin is still pretty dangerous. has a higher murder rate than any US city, for example. but very heavy police presence in the heavily trafficked areas. even if you go yer walkin around centro at midnight you'll see police with automatic rifles patrolling the streets all over, which is very comforting. still, best to take a taxi even if you're only going a few blocks if there isn't a lot of foot traffic between point a and point b.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:17 PM

7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
I'm guessing Tijuana, Mexico and Ciudad Juarez, Mexico are the worst. And if you consider them part of Latin America, Kingston, Jamaica and Port au Prince, Haiti seem to have a LOT of drug-related violence. I wonder if they ever caught that druglord in Jamaica, there was like a full scale war in Kingston and it just fell out of the news.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:22 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,767,656 times
tijuana is relatively safe. actually if you talk to recent arrivals in the city you'll find a lot of them are fleeing from chihuahua and other more dangerous parts of mexico.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:52 AM

258 posts, read 530,030 times
Colombia - No Question. Colombians will open your mouth, with a mechanical device, like The Claw used by firemen, and unravel a poisonous Snake down your throat. You die in minutes, because they Snake will bite your insides, of your stomach. Very painful indeed.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:23 AM

188 posts, read 449,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
I would say Chilean cities and cities in Uruguay are mostly on par with American cities, some even ahead than cities like Detroit, Baltimore, etc. Argentina isn't far behind that.

Also I believe Ecuadorian cities for the most part, while worse than the U.S., aren't particularly too bad.

You have obviously never been to Argentina because it is the safest place in South America by a long shot, there is a cop on every corner or so it seems.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:32 PM

2,930 posts, read 6,199,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
medellin is still pretty dangerous. has a higher murder rate than any US city, for example. but very heavy police presence in the heavily trafficked areas. even if you go yer walkin around centro at midnight you'll see police with automatic rifles patrolling the streets all over, which is very comforting. still, best to take a taxi even if you're only going a few blocks if there isn't a lot of foot traffic between point a and point b.
Correct, Medellin and most Colombian cities are far more dangerous than any American city. Sometimes people get a false sense of security but I lived there and know hundreads of locals who tell me what is still going on there. One American even told me recently that he found Colombia safer than Miami... I guess they were reading these boards

If there are crowds in Medellin, that's not a problem but some streets can get very lonely at night

El Centro has always been dangerous even before the drug war because it is surrounded by very poor neighborhoods and many homeless live there. Tourists should really stick to El Poblado at night and still use a lot of common sense. I do like the centro during the day though.

I would also advise to always walk in pairs or groups If you are a woman, never walk alone. Scopolamine has been used there forever to rob people and even to rape women.

Well I guess I'm not a good embassador of my own country.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 17 days ago)

5,202 posts, read 8,032,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCT82 View Post
What about the Latin Caribbean? Santo Domingo? San Juan? Port Au Prince?
Port-au-Prince was recently considered to be the kidnapping capital of the world. I think that answers your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or