U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 04:53 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,786,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCT82 View Post
What cities would you say are dangerous?
Los Angeles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 08:46 PM

2,930 posts, read 6,200,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Most violence occurs in las colonias. Nothing is gonna happen to you. Poblado? Why not just stay in the US?
Colonia is not a word used there.

You might have meant a "comuna" but every neighborhood in Medellin is within a comuna, even "el poblado" is within comuna 14. We don't have an specific word for the lower class neighborhoods like Mexican "barrios" or North American "ghettos"

And yes a lot of violence occurs in the dangerous comunas but even "el poblado" is dangerous if you don't follow people's advice. Activities like withdrawing money from an ATM, stopping at a red light late a night, taking a taxi(it's better to call one and wait for a confirmation tag #) or a young woman walking alone in a deserted street can be quite dangerous even in el Poblado. You probably won't get a stray bullet like in la comuna 13 or in barrio popular but you can get robbed and sometimes that means getting hurt.

Just because nothing happened to you in a short vacation it doesn't mean is safe. I know many locals, I have family and friends there. There is more crime and criminals are far more ruthless. Some won't care to hurt you.

I love the weather, I love the mountains, I love the food and it will always be home but I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. I go there often and have even gone to very dangerous places but I blend with the locals and know the culture very well. A tourist from another country will need to be far more careful especially if they dont speak spanish and dont look like a local in any large city in Colombia

Old 01-17-2012, 09:11 PM

19 posts, read 39,696 times
caracas,bogota,rio de janeiro,sao paolo,ciudad juarez,mexico city,monterrey, reynosa almost all north mexican cities

Old 03-01-2012, 01:31 PM

149 posts, read 222,915 times
san pedro sula by far. i would say caracas is second. the black choco region of colombia is very dangerous as well. but san pedro sula is by far the most dangerous city in latin america and probably the world which is sad because it looks so modern.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:43 AM

2,930 posts, read 6,200,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike84 View Post
san pedro sula by far. i would say caracas is second. the black choco region of colombia is very dangerous as well. but san pedro sula is by far the most dangerous city in latin america and probably the world which is sad because it looks so modern.
All rural Colombia is dangerous. Cocaine fields and labs don't discriminate, they are everywhere in the country.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:21 AM

508 posts, read 1,649,691 times
Wow, these responses surprise me.

I'd say Caracas (or most of Venezuela really) hands down. Trinidad (if we're counting the Caribbean) would be a very close second. Guatemala is up there too. I wouldn't even put Colombia or Mexico (actually Mexico City is one of my most favorite cities in the world) on the list- they suffer from the halo effect from it's old reputation; not safe, but not comparable to Caracas.

Safest countries are Panama and Chile.

Now that being said, the cities I personally felt most unsafe in, having lived in Latin America for a few years, were Caracas, almost all of Trinidad, and Sao Paulo, to be honest. But that was just personal feeling.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,810 times
San Jose is the only place i've ever been mugged, just like someone else posted.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,095,038 times
Caracas, PARTS of Rio and Sao Paulo, San Salvador, Ciudad Juarez and Tegucigalpa. Port-au-Prince and Kingston are other dangerous cities in the region but not latin America.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:38 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,624,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Northern South America and Central America tend to top these lists, with Brazil, Bolivia not far behind. The safest would be like Argentina, Chile, Peru.etc but they're still worse than most American cities.
I tend to agree with you in many cases, and you are mostly correct here.

I don't think Peru is safe. Lima has a lot of rough spots and I have a friend, an American from WA state, who was mugged in Macchu Picchu, Peru. Argentina and Chile might have some rough spots in their big cities, but they wouldn't be as rough as the burnt-out areas of Detroit or East Saint Louis.

In Buenos Aires, Argentina, the locals told me to take the private and economical shuttle bus from the airport to the city, instead of the #86 which is constantly running from the center and ends its run at the distant international airport, because muggers know there are tourists taking advantage of the $1.50 fare. While Santiago felt safe, the port city of Valparaiso (twin to manicured Vina del Mar) has some sketchy areas and one could sort of tell that. I'm glad I saw Santiago, and especially Vina del Mar, but I didn't go to Chile on my second trip because it was sort of boring. Add Uruguay to the safe list. For me, it's the most relaxing place in South America. I could have almost stayed.

For me, as aforementioned, it would be Caracas and Bogota
. I grew up 135 miles from the Mexican border, and except for a walk-over to deplorable Tijuana for a couple of hours, I have no interest in the place.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-26-2012 at 08:07 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 10:08 PM

398 posts, read 553,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm guessing Tijuana, Mexico and Ciudad Juarez, Mexico are the worst. And if you consider them part of Latin America, Kingston, Jamaica and Port au Prince, Haiti seem to have a LOT of drug-related violence. I wonder if they ever caught that druglord in Jamaica, there was like a full scale war in Kingston and it just fell out of the news.
Kingston is not latin america but PAP is i have lived in PAP Haiti and Kingston Jamaica and i find kingston much more dangerous.
PAP has many problems and a high kidnapping rate but all my issues have been related to infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or