Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:33 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,028 times

Advertisements

So I've seen some recent stuff on the internet of Brazilian murders. It seems sort of like Oakland or Philadelphia (but for the whole entire country) with all the homicides.

Crime in Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of Brazilian states by murder rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by jacobwilliam77; 01-10-2012 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: url
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
So I've seen some recent stuff on the internet of Brazilian murders. It seems sort of like Oakland or Philadelphia (but for the whole entire country) with all the homicides.

Crime in Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of Brazilian states by murder rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's the same as in the States. It might be statistically higher, but it's the same thing.

I live and teach in Asia. There is this stereotype that walking around in the U.S., you'll be robbed, be a victim of a crime, etc.

But anyone who has ever lived in the US, we all know that there is definitely high crime, rampant drug usage, guns all over the place, crazy stories everyday, high profile nutjob with a gun stories, on and on. From afar, the US looks like a complete nutjob case, and anyone who steps into the U.S. is going to see this all over the place.

However, if you're an American, you know there are plenty of places that you never see any of this, and if you do, you're just as shocked when you do. It isn't the normal day-to-day life in the U.S. by any means.

Brazil might statistically have 5x higher, but it's still basically concentrated in the slums of Sao Paulo, the slums of Rio, the slums of Recife, the slums of Salvador, etc.

I lived in Brazil for six months, and it was fairly uneventul. I was younger, went out most nights, whenever I could. Often walked home at 3am from the bars.

Of course it's 100 times safer over here in Japan, Korea, China, etc. when you're walking around drinking and socializing or whatever you're doing. But it doesn't mean that I'm scared to go back to the U.S. (or go back to Brazil) for that matter.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:26 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,788,987 times
Oh, great, one more Brazil bashing thread!

What is "murder rate"?

What is the importance of this "murder rate" in the real world?

What is the meaning of "homicides per 100,000 inhabitants"??

So, each year, for each 100,000 people in Brazil, 26.4 are murdered?

And what about the other 99,973 people who are NOT murdered?

What are the CAUSES of that murders? Who are the murderers and who are the victims? Has anyone taken this in consideration?

More than 80% of murders in Brazil are related to drugs and gangs. And the victim is usually someone who will not be missed by society, like drug dealers and other criminals. Most murders happen in obscure neighborhoods, in some narrow alleys, at night, and honest and hardworking people won't even notice. They only get the rumors about the murder in the next morning, when they wake up.

If you want to measure crime, you should search for better statistics than this meaningless "murder rate".

Of course the level of crime in Brazil is higher than in the USA. Maybe 2 or 3 times higher. But saying that it's 5 times higher, is totally absurd.

I live in the fifth largest city in Brazil, with 2 and a half million inhabitants, and I go everywhere in this city, without fear. The last time I got robbed was 9 years ago. And that was because the city was deserted, during the Carnival season, and almost all of the police was in the beaches outside of the city, where the Carnival action really happens here...

Crime exists everywhere in the world. There are inumerous cases of criminals armed with machine guns comiting robberies in the USA. Just search for it on YouTube, and you're going to find.

So, go find another way to spread your hatred of Brazil...

Old 01-11-2012, 10:34 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
It's not hatred of Brazil, more like envy in a weird way. Americans are noticing Brazil is booming and on its way to becoming a serious rival in the Americas. So they go like, ne ne ne ne ne ne, this or that is one aspect where the US is still better than you

Old 01-11-2012, 11:01 AM

690 posts, read 1,202,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post

So, each year, for each 100,000 people in Brazil, 26.4 are murdered?

And what about the other 99,973 people who are NOT murdered?

Sure, but thats an annual rate. If i live to be 100, that means ive got a 0.264, or over 1 in 400 chance of being murdered.

Its very high. Disturbingly so.

Imagine for every 400 people you know through your life, one will be murdered.

Last edited by LondonAreaWeatherSummary; 01-11-2012 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: calcs wrong.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:06 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
I barely know 40 people, let alone 400 ^^
And the numbers include all the slum crimes. In real life most Brazilians don't know anyone who got murdered, simply because most people live in decent neighborhoods.

Assuming, most victims are shot with firearms like in the US, how difficult or easy is it to obtain a gun in Brazil?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:08 PM

10 posts, read 38,802 times
This rate just show that the most important states of Brazil such as São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro has combated strongly the violence in this area and reduced its violence, so the criminals of this states has emigrated to the others states...

Anyway this rate is old, the Brazil has started combat strongly the violence after November of 2010 when the police started to invade the slums in Rio to displace the Traffickers.

Also most of peoples murdered are criminals because they fight each other

Last edited by obpumc; 01-11-2012 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: correction of errors

Old 01-11-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
Sure, but thats an annual rate. If i live to be 100, that means ive got a 0.264, or over 1 in 400 chance of being murdered.

100 years?

Most people die of natural causes before they are 80 years old...

And if for every 500 people that I know through my life, one will be murdered, that's very far from being "disturbing". I don't have 50 friends, let alone 500...

Add to that, the fact that most murders are concentrated in poor areas with lots of drug dealers, and the victims are drug dealers themselves.

To be honest with you, my father, who is 70 years old, never knew ANYONE who was ever murdered in his entire life. In fact, in my whole extended family, I think that just one or two people ever knew someone who was murdered. Murder is a non-issue in my personal life, as in the personal life of 90% of Brazilians.

Statistics are a total JOKE.

Now, ask me about harmless robberies, and yes, I know many people who got robbed, without suffering any physical harm. I was robbed myself, two times in my entire life.

I'm from a big city. Now, go to a small Brazilian town of 30 thousand inhabitants and talk about crime, and people will look at you and say: "Oh yeah, I saw it on TV once..."

Old 01-11-2012, 12:33 PM

I think the United Nations should create a new statistics analysis:

Murder rate of people without previous criminal record

Collect statistics of how many people without a previous criminal record are murdered per year in each country, and make a ranking...

That would do a lot more of sense.

Anyone who gets involved with criminal activities is assuming the risk of being murdered at any time. And I don't think the government should waste the taxpayer money "priorizing" the investigation of the deaths of people with criminal records, and being "concerned" about "preventing" the deaths of such kind of people. Let them kill each other.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:35 PM

52 posts, read 188,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post

Who in God's name taught you maths? You even got the wrong number wrong.

A better way to do it would be via the converse probability, but that'd still be quite wrong (for numerous reasons).

Last edited by namegoeshere; 01-11-2012 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas