U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 07:46 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,763,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
As an American white boy I was the most shocked when I visisted central Mexico and cities like Monterrey. They have California like suburbs full of rich white people who speak Spanish. The whole town was almost rich white and Mexican. I was surprised. And they were proud to be Mexican too. Usually I meet a Mexican American teen and they're almost ashamed to be Mexican but here was a blonde haired blue eyed Mexican repping his flag like it was the best country on gods green earth.
Lol. My friend is from Monterrey and her boyfriend studied abroad there to learn Spanish. When he arrived to the university, he said there was a huge group of blondes and he thought 'Great! There are a lot of exchange students here!' Then he realized they were all Mexican and was shocked.

Monterrey is a beautiful city and largely middle class. It is very americanized. There are quite a few cities like this in Mexico though. Some people visit a dingy downtown in one Mexican City and think the whole country is that way. 😕

Also, why would you be surprised that they are proud to be Mexican? That is a strange comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 03:20 AM

2,891 posts, read 3,287,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeros View Post
Brazil, Venezuela and Argentina are the only good Latin American countries, the rest are terrible with high crime and drugs
VENEZUELA XD!! what r u smoking seriously. Brasil and Argentina are not the countries best off in Latin america Chile,Costa Rica, and Panama are all better off. if you didn't know Chile is Latin America's Richest and most developed country by every metric available in fact by 2020 it is expected to become latin american's first fully developed country.

Last edited by miamihurricane555; 03-25-2014 at 03:36 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 08:21 AM

11 posts, read 14,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm not really too sure if any Latin American countries are overrated. I've never seen too much hype about any of them.

If I had to go out on a limb, I would say Uruguay would be the most overlooked/underrated. It seems to be the least talked about country in Latin America. I don't know too much about it, but a lot of the Chileans seem to find it boring.

I never heard too much about Chile before I decided to come here, however I see a lot of tourists here so I don't think it's underrated. Colombia had a lot of tourists also, but I felt many of the tourists were low class european hippies and sex mongers. Here in Chile, the tourists seem to have much more class. You don't see the dirty backpackers with dreadlocks like you do in Colombia.

I'd say Brasil gets possibly the most tourists due to Rio being possibly one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
That's interesting to know, specially when most of Chile's tourist are from Argentina and Brasil.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:23 AM

Overrated countries :

Mexico
Brazil
Argentina

Underrated countries:

All the guianas
Bolivia
Paraguay

Old 03-25-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Argentina is underrated considering how beautifully Euro it really is. In some parts I felt like I was in Paris or Rome or even Madrid. It also one of the best art, media and film scenes I've ever seen. Second to Mexico, it's one of the Hollywoods of Latin America.

Another underrated county is Chile which is ultra modern and chic. Traveling around Santiago I felt like I was in London because of the hustle and the very rigid structure there. It did not have that laid back feeling of the rest of Latin America.

Chile is like a reverse California in that it offers all the best landscapes; mountains, hills, desert, beautiful (but cold) beaches, sand dunes, city life, rural life, small towns and picturesque German villas. It's the most beautiful country I've ever been to.

Lol,Santiago is nothing like London. Do not overreact.I was there last year and I didn't find it that much interesting.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:06 AM

13 posts, read 17,411 times
Overrated: Mexico and Brasil. Underrated: every other country.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:24 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,228,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666Guy View Post
That's interesting to know, specially when most of Chile's tourist are from Argentina and Brasil.
Yeah, definitely. Although, in my post I was trying to make a comparison between the 'white' tourists when I was talking about it. But you're right, a very large portion of the tourists are from Argentina, especially where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666Guy View Post
Lol,Santiago is nothing like London. Do not overreact.I was there last year and I didn't find it that much interesting.
I agree, my girlfriend and I took a trip over to Santiago not too long ago and I found Santiago to be pretty boring. We both agreed to not going back there Then again, we just kind of jumped on a bus and went there, she's from valparaiso so doesn't know much more than I do.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm not really too sure if any Latin American countries are overrated. I've never seen too much hype about any of them.

If I had to go out on a limb, I would say Uruguay would be the most overlooked/underrated. It seems to be the least talked about country in Latin America. I don't know too much about it, but a lot of the Chileans seem to find it boring.

I never heard too much about Chile before I decided to come here, however I see a lot of tourists here so I don't think it's underrated. Colombia had a lot of tourists also, but I felt many of the tourists were low class european hippies and sex mongers. Here in Chile, the tourists seem to have much more class. You don't see the dirty backpackers with dreadlocks like you do in Colombia.

I'd say Brasil gets possibly the most tourists due to Rio being possibly one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
I don't think any Latin American country is overrated either.

I've been to Uruguay. Its ok. They are very nice people. I can't say I would want to return there or to Argentina. I prefer Brazil.

I am interested in discovering Chile and Peru. I heard from many people that the food is amazing in Peru and atrocious in Chile. What is the food like in Chile? I am very curious because like checking out the culinary scene in countries that I visit.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:15 AM

448 posts, read 562,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I don't think any Latin American country is overrated either.

I've been to Uruguay. Its ok. They are very nice people. I can't say I would want to return there or to Argentina. I prefer Brazil.

I am interested in discovering Chile and Peru. I heard from many people that the food is amazing in Peru and atrocious in Chile. What is the food like in Chile? I am very curious because like checking out the culinary scene in countries that I visit.
Chile has definitely better food than Peru. Peru has a bit more "bland exotic" food while Chile's would be considered "cuisine".

In Chile you'll find many Peruvian restaurants along with Arabic, Japanese and Thai restaurants. So for a wider range of gastronomy experiences, I'd suggest Chile. Be aware that Santiago is as exotic as Frankfurt or Houston.

Overrated countries for me are Uruguay, mmm that's it for now.
Lacks proper transportation system, Grey and often poorly maintained buildings. Old cars on the street, undefined cuisine etc

Last edited by MrPilot; 03-26-2014 at 07:24 AM..

Old 03-26-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Chile has definitely better food than Peru. Peru has a bit more "bland exotic" food while Chile's would be considered "cuisine".

In Chile you'll find many Peruvian restaurants along with Arabic, Japanese and Thai restaurants. So for a wider range of gastronomy experiences, I'd suggest Chile. Be aware that Santiago is as exotic as Frankfurt or Houston.

Overrated countries for me are Uruguay, mmm that's it for now.
Lacks proper transportation system, Grey and often poorly maintained buildings. Old cars on the street, undefined cuisine etc
OK, but what is Chile's local cuisine like? That is what I am getting at. Or is it like Costa Rica that doesn't really have many dishes. I've never heard of Chilean dishes, that is why I am asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or