U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 AM

9,845 posts, read 22,545,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Brazil has some of the highest crime rates in the world, no?
To add, Caracas is very dangerous and has been so for a good amount of time now, so are other parts of Venezuela.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 05:03 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,874,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Funny you would say that since Peru's cuisine is generally considered to be among the best in Latin America by people in the foodie world. Peru and Mexico are generally considered 1 and 2 not necessarily in that order.
Peruvian food is quickly creeping up to being one of the best foods in the world. I continuously see it on lists. I have only had it in the U.S. but have really enjoyed everything I have tried.

Mexican food( in Mexico) rocks. I was just in Valle de Guadalupe, Baja California. They produce pretty good wines and are pairing them with fresh seafoods, meats and greens in new Mexican creations. The chefs in Baja right now have been garnering a lot of international attention, and for good reason.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666Guy View Post
Chile's local cuisine is definitely not good.Most of the quality cuisine you'll find in the urban areas are from foreigner restaurants,specially from Peru.Chile has some interesting things to offer,but 'food' is not one,atleast for me.
I've heard that from a lot of people And it got me thinking that I've never really heard of Chilean food. I've had Peruvian, Colombian, Brazilian, Argentine food but never have heard of people going out to eat Chilean food.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:41 PM

16,409 posts, read 26,820,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I've heard that from a lot of people And it got me thinking that I've never really heard of Chilean food. I've had Peruvian, Colombian, Brazilian, Argentine food but never have heard of people going out to eat Chilean food.
There is Chilean food, and the cuisines are there.. but they aren't quite as unique and distinct as some of the other countries'.

If I was going to base my travels on food, I don't think I'd pick Chile. I also wouldn't pick Chile if I planned to only stay in Santiago.

I'm hopefully looking to make Chile a permanent residence in the near future, however I think if I was traveling for 2 or 3 weeks and looking to find a place with really interesting cuisines, music and festivals.. I'd go with Colombia.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
There is Chilean food, and the cuisines are there.. but they aren't quite as unique and distinct as some of the other countries'.

If I was going to base my travels on food, I don't think I'd pick Chile. I also wouldn't pick Chile if I planned to only stay in Santiago.

I'm hopefully looking to make Chile a permanent residence in the near future, however I think if I was traveling for 2 or 3 weeks and looking to find a place with really interesting cuisines, music and festivals.. I'd go with Colombia.
Yeah its OK if Chile doesn't offer this , I still would like to travel around there. I think my next trip is Chile/Peru. We were thinking of doing the World Cup in Brazil but they have already jacked up all the prices and it is expensive.

I have had Chilean friends and they have been very nice people.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:11 AM

6,836 posts, read 13,130,894 times
I tried Peruvian food in manhattan and I did not have a good experience, but I'm a very optimistic person. If I have a bad experience with a particular dish, I tend to find myself researching more restaurants of that nation because overall most countries on this planet produce good food. So I'm going to head to a Peruvian area in NYC and give it another shot. I'm sure I'll love it when I do so.

To add on to my international taste buds. I had a class assignment to bring food to class as a background lesson. My parents are Haitian and I actually got the best grade and even gave the professor the recipes.

It's always a good thing to try food that you aren't too particular with. I'm craving for some dishes from Saudi Arabia.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I tried Peruvian food in manhattan and I did not have a good experience, but I'm a very optimistic person. If I have a bad experience with a particular dish, I tend to find myself researching more restaurants of that nation because overall most countries on this planet produce good food. So I'm going to head to a Peruvian area in NYC and give it another shot. I'm sure I'll love it when I do so.

To add on to my international taste buds. I had a class assignment to bring food to class as a background lesson. My parents are Haitian and I actually got the best grade and even gave the professor the recipes.

It's always a good thing to try food that you aren't too particular with. I'm craving for some dishes from Saudi Arabia.
For Peruvian food it is better to try Queens if your in NYC.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:47 AM

6,836 posts, read 13,130,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
For Peruvian food it is better to try Queens if your in NYC.
Yea, I'm thinking Jamaica ave in the Woodhaven sections around 104th street? I was heading to the gym in Jamaica and saw a bunch of Peruvian restaurants isolated in one section on the ave under the J line.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Yea, I'm thinking Jamaica ave in the Woodhaven sections around 104th street? I was heading to the gym in Jamaica and saw a bunch of Peruvian restaurants isolated in one section on the ave under the J line.
There's many. This one in Jackson Heights is pretty good.

Urubamba - Jackson Heights - Jackson Heights, NY | Yelp

Old 03-28-2014, 11:09 AM

16,409 posts, read 26,820,762 times
Ask for Chicha Morada(its a drink) if you do get Peruvian food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or