U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 05:21 PM

196 posts, read 360,012 times

Advertisements

I think Mexico is too much overrated with its ''maquiladoras'' and Chile with its too much unequal society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 06:06 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,436,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antma robel View Post
I think Mexico is too much overrated with its ''maquiladoras'' and Chile with its too much unequal society.
Where in Latin America doesn't have an unequal society? Chile actually has the biggest middle class in Latin America and will probably be the first Latin country to join the first world.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:59 PM

325 posts, read 425,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theroux View Post
Which country in Latin America do you find to be overrated and which do you find to be underrated?
Overrated: Ecuador
Underrated: Uruguay

Old 03-31-2014, 07:00 PM

325 posts, read 425,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Chile actually has the biggest middle class in Latin America and will probably be the first Latin country to join the first world.
Chile is FIRST WORLD

Old 04-01-2014, 06:56 AM

196 posts, read 360,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Where in Latin America doesn't have an unequal society? Chile actually has the biggest middle class in Latin America and will probably be the first Latin country to join the first world.
Have I said otherwise? But than again, Chile is too unequal.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:42 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,192,085 times
Overrated: Brazil. It is home to the scariest $&!tholes I've ever been to.

Underated: Bolivia. It's poor as hell but has some of the most beautiful and varied natural landscapes in the world. The people there are generally wonderful and crime is low for Latin America.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:08 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,116,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
In reading the above quote, it sounds to me like you are admitting that Latin America was "out slicked" by the UK, the US, and France. Is that what you're saying? Nothing wrong with admitting what one perceives. Should this be the case, then it's high time us Latin Americans found a way to compete with and overcome the forces which brought our countries to their knees. For example, let's focus on academic acheivement (especially in math and sciences), language proficiency, erradication of corruption, etc.

I use to subscribe to the theory that the USA was the prime culprit of Latin America's demise. Now that I've lived in the USA for 33 continuous years, I see things a little different.

Maybe I now see things differently because I'm older. Maybe I've grown fonder and am more accustomed of life here. Or, maybe it's the attitude/paradigm shift I see in the few Latin American new comers I meet. Of those few, most seem not to be interested in working hard (with the mind), dominating the English language, or being avid and active participants in general society. Most seem content with menial brainless jobs which require little to no English comprehension. Most appear to just want to get by, all the while justifying their illegal status and proclaming "how great things were back home." These lax/non-aggressive attitudes lead me to conclude that maybe we were not prepared to deal with those who arrived at our shores and out manuvered us with their uniform plans, "get-it-done" attitudes, vicious and avoracious greed, etc. Now that we know better, there is no excuse to fail.
well thought and interesting post. It has given me some things to think about.

Do you think there is anything to the theory that people in hot climates have more laid back attitudes about life, work, etc......? I have no opinion, just have always wondered about that. I know being born and raised in the SE USA, peoples attitudes are pretty laid back but most everyone I know ishard working.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:19 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,228,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
well thought and interesting post. It has given me some things to think about.

Do you think there is anything to the theory that people in hot climates have more laid back attitudes about life, work, etc......? I have no opinion, just have always wondered about that. I know being born and raised in the SE USA, peoples attitudes are pretty laid back but most everyone I know ishard working.

I think it has to do more with the overall economy. If you look at a place like Miami for instance, while it is FAR from a laid back city, it has a much different feel to it than New York. I think a big reason behind this is due to the people it attracts. When the weather is that nice, you're going to get a lot more tourism, which attracts people who want to invest to make money from the tourists coming to vacation.. which in turn opens up service type jobs. When you have a city that is heavily reliant on tourist jobs, yet have pretty strong banking, very popular city, high housing prices then you start getting some problems and great disparities in income.

If you look at a place like San Diego or Los Angeles, while they might have a bit more laid back vibe than a city like New York, there is still the whole rat race and not really a terrible economy.

In turn, climate can play a role in certain economies.. but it's not exactly the weather that causes it.

Either way, it is simply my humble opinion.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:22 PM

7 posts, read 9,379 times
Mexican is so overatedddddddddd

Old 11-21-2014, 03:24 PM

7 posts, read 9,379 times
Mexico is so overatedddddddddd
South american is underated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or