Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 01:11 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times

Advertisements

As a New Yorker I think the opposite, that many parts of the US are underpopulated and boring. I would never want to live in a place like Tulsa or Boise or Des Moines

I agree, overall I would say Viña del Mar is the most developed. Looks first world in most places with towering modern buildings with views of the ocean. Wouldn't look out of place in California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 04:03 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
As a New Yorker I think the opposite, that many parts of the US are underpopulated and boring. I would never want to live in a place like Tulsa or Boise or Des Moines

I agree, overall I would say Viña del Mar is the most developed. Looks first world in most places with towering modern buildings with views of the ocean. Wouldn't look out of place in California
I was thinking of more exciting places than Tulsa like Seattle, LA, SF, Austin or Miami.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:01 PM

881 posts, read 921,376 times
Quote:
Seems like a sketchy list tho. Asuncion ahead of cities like RdJ, Sao Paulo, and Lima? Panama City on th same level as Santiago and Buenos Aires? Why is Montevideo so far ahead of Buenos Aires?
Panama is probably wealthier than Bs As, for one.

Quote:
The list also claims that Moscow has about the same quality of life as Kampala, Riyadh, and Calcutta, what the actual hell
I think it's the same with Tehran, Kiev, Petersburg, Bogota and other cities. Clearly the ranking has a strong political bias.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:07 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
Overrated : Costa Rica, Argentina and Brazil (in that order)
Underrated : El Salvador, Bolivia and Uruguay (in same order)

Old 06-28-2017, 09:08 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Panama is probably wealthier than Bs As, for one.

I think it's the same with Tehran, Kiev, Petersburg, Bogota and other cities. Clearly the ranking has a strong political bias.
Yup, and placing Havana behind some cities that have the highest murder rates in the world seems extreme too, and probably a politically influenced decision. Is it a coincidence that both Cuba and Russia are suspiciously low in the rankings? I've lived in Moscow before, it is not the best city but equating Moscow with some third world hellhole in Central Africa or Saudi Arabia is insulting

Old 07-01-2017, 10:14 AM

439 posts, read 521,389 times
Quote:
Fwiw, here is the Quality of Life list by Mercer

78) Montevideo
93) Buenos Aires
94) Santiago
96) Panama City
105) San Jose
106) Brasilia
108) Monterrey
114) Asuncion
117) Rio de Janeiro
121) Sao Paulo
123) Lima
125) Manaus
127) Mexico City
128) Quito
130) Bogota
135) Santo Domingo
152) Guatemala City
156) La Paz
172) Managua
173) San Salvador
185) Caracas
186) Tegucigalpa
191) Havana

Seems like a sketchy list tho. Asuncion ahead of cities like RdJ, Sao Paulo, and Lima? Panama City on th same level as Santiago and Buenos Aires? Why is Montevideo so far ahead of Buenos Aires? The list also claims that Moscow has about the same quality of life as Kampala, Riyadh, and Calcutta, what the actual hell
Surprised or Jealous?

Old 07-01-2017, 10:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Yup, and placing Havana behind some cities that have the highest murder rates in the world seems extreme too, and probably a politically influenced decision. Is it a coincidence that both Cuba and Russia are suspiciously low in the rankings? I've lived in Moscow before, it is not the best city but equating Moscow with some third world hellhole in Central Africa or Saudi Arabia is insulting
Calling Central Africa or Saudi Arabia third world hellholes is equally insulting/derogative.

For starters how do you know any of these places are so called "hellholes"? US media reports? According to US media all South Americans are in cartels and they live in the jungle. We both know this is not true, so please consider that the same people who falsely depict things in Latin America or Russia do the same for Central Africa or Saudi Arabia.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:00 AM

345 posts, read 268,698 times
Quote:
Honestly in terms of development I think Buenos Aires is much better than Santiago, Santiago is too grimy in parts and still has raw infrastructure, whereas Buenos Aires literally wouldn't look out of place in Europe. Buenos Aires even has free wi-fi in many public places which is a welcome sight in Latin America. But Santiago has much better safety, people in Santiago don't feel the same insecurity that people in Buenos Aires feel. In CABA many times people would whisper to me to put my phone away in my pocket when passing through some neighborhoods, in Chile that does not happen
I believe those areas are called consuburbios, almost like favelas.

Last edited by papuolo; 07-02-2017 at 05:36 AM..

Old 07-02-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:

Almost all Latin American countries have luxurious enclaves as the continent is a mixture of Switzerland and Africa -just a retoric artifice.

Very similar to Europe during the industrial revolution, except that inequality in many European countries during that period was far larger.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:

Havana is nice, but the city is crumbling down...not crime yet..

Just as in Moscow, many buildings that are crumbling down are not from the capitalist period but from the Soviet era, those typically soviet buildings "built by the workers"...reeking ladas, moskowitz, etc.

The Russian embassy, a gigantic building in a residential area, is tilting noticeably, the city will have a tower of Pizza.

I guess that the index is referring to equality in an economy controlled by the "family", the army..zero equality...just guessing, zero economical safety, etc.

But Russia should be doing better with so many natural resources, after all, the only resources Cuba has is his colony, Venezuela...and the "donkeys" in Miami that send remittances.

Russians prefer Cuba, but they seem to prefer any country except Russia.

Last edited by papuolo; 07-02-2017 at 06:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas