U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2017, 09:07 PM

11,438 posts, read 6,419,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Surprised or Jealous?
Lol more surprised than jealous. I don't really have any connection to Panama, I think its an okay country

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Calling Central Africa or Saudi Arabia third world hellholes is equally insulting/derogative.

For starters how do you know any of these places are so called "hellholes"? US media reports? According to US media all South Americans are in cartels and they live in the jungle. We both know this is not true, so please consider that the same people who falsely depict things in Latin America or Russia do the same for Central Africa or Saudi Arabia.
You have a point about Central Africa, but I would think if anything, the US media would try to make Saudi cities seem much nicer than they are. I have a feeling that the portrayal of South America in the US is part old stereotypes, part ignorance, and part propaganda to try to justify that ignorance. It's much easier to demean Peru or Colombia when you show countries full of prostitution, drugs, guerrilla warfare, and danger on every corner, as opposed to middle class countries that are rapidly developing
Quote:
Originally Posted by papuolo View Post
Havana is nice, but the city is crumbling down...not crime yet..

Just as in Moscow, many buildings that are crumbling down are not from the capitalist period but from the Soviet era, those typically soviet buildings "built by the workers"...reeking ladas, moskowitz, etc.

The Russian embassy, a gigantic building in a residential area, is tilting noticeably, the city will have a tower of Pizza.

I guess that the index is referring to equality in an economy controlled by the "family", the army..zero equality...just guessing, zero economical safety, etc.

But Russia should be doing better with so many natural resources, after all, the only resources Cuba has is his colony, Venezuela...and the "donkeys" in Miami that send remittances.

Russians prefer Cuba, but they seem to prefer any country except Russia.
Russia is mismanaged, but not Moscow itself is where the money is. From personal experience, I would rank Moscow around Buenos Aires and Santiago in development
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 06:12 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,024,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeros View Post
Brazil, Venezuela and Argentina are the only good Latin American countries, the rest are terrible with high crime and drugs
You must be joking. Venezuela is one of the most violent chaotic countries in South America.
Uruguay is one of best.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:13 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,024,469 times
Underrated: Uruguay, Colombia, Chile.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:07 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,551,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
You must be joking. Venezuela is one of the most violent chaotic countries in South America.
Uruguay is one of best.
He has to be, those three have seen some really high spikes in crime as of late. Venezuela being the worst, with the other two being not as bad as other LatAm countries but still experiencing high crime.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Uruguay is one of best.
Lol Venezuela is the worst and by far, while Brazil is the second worst. Uruguay is relatively peaceful but has a weirdly high crime rate for a country that is so developed and doesn't play a huge part in the drug trade. You would expect Uruguay to have a rate more like Chile

Old 07-05-2017, 09:58 AM

9,526 posts, read 13,467,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Overrated: Costa Rica

Underrated: Nicaragua, El Salvador and the smaller countries of Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana

I think Brazil is too big to say its over and underrated, it would depend where.
Just came back from Nicaragua. Blown away @ how beautiful it was.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Just came back from Nicaragua. Blown away @ how beautiful it was.
The volcano inside the lake sounds cool. Would like to visit Nicaragua but idk, Central America doesn't interest me nearly as much as South America

Old 07-05-2017, 11:46 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,446,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What happened to Argentina? I remember visiting and thought it looked like Chile in the 90s. It was not what I expected at all. They're like a supermodel who just let themselves go and haven't invested in themselves for quite some time, meanwhile their neighbor went from being a 6 to a 9.5 in a decade.
Yup, both Argentina and Venezuela let themselves go. Venezuela especially, going from like one of the best economies in Latin America to what it is today. It would be like hearing that Chile turned into the worst and most dangerous country in LA 10-15 years from now. Chile is definitely underrated. Most people just don't have a picture when they think about the country the way they do if someone brings up Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, etc. Needs better PR.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:52 AM

9,526 posts, read 13,467,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
The volcano inside the lake sounds cool. Would like to visit Nicaragua but idk, Central America doesn't interest me nearly as much as South America
Is there that much of a difference though? I think the CA countries are largely forgotten about but people seem to go to Costa Rica a lot. I couldn't care less about the other CA countries... Nica piqued my interest b/c of the volcanos. They are really a sight not to be missed!

Old 07-05-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Is there that much of a difference though? I think the CA countries are largely forgotten about but people seem to go to Costa Rica a lot. I couldn't care less about the other CA countries... Nica piqued my interest b/c of the volcanos. They are really a sight not to be missed!
Not too much difference, but there are some key differences. Central America is less developed in general and more dangerous. Indigenous people there speak Mayan languages, whereas in South America there are Quechua, Aymara, Guarani, etc, speakers. South America has better planned cities with public transport and walkability, whereas CA cities tend to have small downtowns and more car-dependent outskirts called "Colonias". CA has more United States companies, whereas South America has a lot of Brazilian, Chilean, and Colombian businesses. All of CA immigration is targeted towards the US, whereas South American immigration is targeted to a mix of USA/Argentina/Chile, and even Colombia and Peru more recently. Nothing major, but I think South America definitely has a different vibe than CA does
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or