U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 04:10 PM

11,436 posts, read 6,412,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
False. I live in Brazil and the influence of North America is ridiculous here....More than what i experienced in Guatemala , Costa Rica and Honduras
I've been to Honduras before. Between all the American companies and the car-friendly city layout, it did not really feel too authentic. Then you go to South America and see all the amazing things like Machu Picchu, the Amazon, the snowcapped Andes, and all of it nearly untouched, it's something else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 04:37 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,443,437 times
Yeah Honduras is fake, not authentic at all.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:28 AM

122 posts, read 93,120 times
Overrated: Argentina (by Argentinians)
Underrated: Argentina (by everyone else)

Argentina is a beautiful country, but I find Argentinians a little too proud of it sometimes.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:13 PM

6,574 posts, read 8,110,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenview94602 View Post
What do you all think about Honduras? I didn't get a chance to visit it. Has anyone here been?

Yes I visited Roatan Island not the main land. I know the thread is 6 years old ...

Old 03-22-2018, 03:39 PM

9 posts, read 4,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_indc View Post
Overrated: Argentina (by Argentinians)
Underrated: Argentina (by everyone else)

Argentina is a beautiful country, but I find Argentinians a little too proud of it sometimes.
That's interesting. I didn't find argentines to be overly prideful.

Personally i wasn't a fan of argentina mind you i was in buenos aires and i know it doesn't represent the whole country. Also every other tourist we met there didn't like it all.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:56 AM

5,697 posts, read 8,607,225 times
just got back from Costa Rica.. probably the most overrated destination i've been to. Way to expensive for an average experience in terms of food, beaches and while the landscape is good it's nothing unique and can be experienced for much cheaper in places like Mexico or Ecuador.

Costa Rica is overrun by tourists which is fine if the place is something exceptional and unique that you cannot experience elsewhere such as the Sistine chapel in Italy.. but with Costa Rica it's way too crowded and expensive for nothing special.

Oh, and the food is bland and the local beer is terrible and foreign beers are difficult and very expensive to get... I saw a 12oz can of Heineken in a store priced at $4.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:06 AM

89 posts, read 44,869 times
Panama is very overrated. (big shopping malls, skyscrapers, and Miami wannabe beaches), Costa Rica is also very overrated, people go there looking for natural beauty but they find mostly just American style enclaves.

Bolivia is very underrated. (Some of the most stunning landscapes you will ever see in your life)

Old 06-07-2018, 09:29 AM

422 posts, read 346,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabb View Post
Panama is very overrated. (big shopping malls, skyscrapers, and Miami wannabe beaches), Costa Rica is also very overrated, people go there looking for natural beauty but they find mostly just American style enclaves.

Bolivia is very underrated. (Some of the most stunning landscapes you will ever see in your life)
Panama is not a Miami wannabe, we are trying to become a developed country with world wide recognition just like Singapore or Dubai. It is going to cost us a great deal, but so far, we have done a great job doing.

Hmmmmm, so according to you, just because we are a Latinamerican country, we are supposed to live in caves and huts and wear loincloth???

Old 06-09-2018, 12:05 PM

60 posts, read 22,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Too much North American influence imo. If you go to South America it is much more authentic

Isn't Central America part of "North America"?

Guatemala seems really "authentic," it feels really really different from the rest of "North America"... it feels like a different civilization. Felt different from even Mexico, a country that's more westernized. The only "North American" (if you mean USA) influenced I mainly felt was mostly the love of fried chicken and fries.

Then again I mainly visit the non-touristy, really Indigenous, areas where Spanish becomes no longer the dominate language.

Anyway, if Guatemala gets its $h!t together and gets rid of all that corruption, I can see it becoming a really unique and awesome country due to it's Indigenous heritage...something most of the Americas lack.

Last edited by Yaxkan; 06-09-2018 at 12:32 PM..

Old 06-09-2018, 12:46 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,443,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaxkan View Post

Then again I mainly visit the non-touristy, really Indigenous, areas where Spanish becomes no longer the dominate language.
Actually IT IS the indigenous areas that get all the tourism. Southern and Eastern Guatemala where the majority are Mestizo don't get much foreign tourism at all. But even in much of the highlands Spanish is still the dominant language. Natives from different groups have to use Spanish to communicate with each other. You said you were Guatemalan. I doubt you are after that comment.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 06-09-2018 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or