U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:48 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,618,576 times

Advertisements

I agree that COLOMBIA is very underrated, esp. within the U.S. I remember telling people at work where I was going for vacation and they were like WTF? Colombia?

I've been, had a GREAT time, was NOT kidnapped by the FARC and I can't wait to go back.

Colombia's landscape is not as varied as Ecuador (few countries are) but it still packs nice, warm beaches with crazy tall mountains. And some very nice cities (Medellin, Cartagena, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 01:09 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,764,328 times
costa rica is overrated

omg i roll my eyes whenever i see someone ask about the place

Old 01-27-2012, 05:37 AM

21,367 posts, read 19,297,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, most Latin American countries seem to be doing better than the poorest half of the world's countries. Overall, I think they're about the same GDP per capita as the average eastern European country.

So, not terribly good or terribly bad.
GDP has become an outdated indicator, many researchers use the IHDI index instead these days. Just saying...

Old 01-27-2012, 05:43 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,220,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Venezuela is horribly underrated, since the US Media and Government have added them to the Axis of Evil list merely because they freely elected a president who chose to market their oil without giving big US corporations a cut, and using the benefits to raise the standards of their own poor instead of rich American shareholders.

This is one of the more ignorant statements i've seen you make Jtur... Chavez destroyed Venezuela, the people absolutely hate him, and I think if you came into contact with Venezuelans and asked them how it really was they would tell you. With my job, I interact with many different Venezuelans every day, not a single person, I repeat, not 1 has ever said anything good about Chavez. He destroyed the country, it is one of the most dangerous places in South America, even the citizens are afraid to go out. They know how dangerous it is and just how much poverty there really is.

You think they are raising their standards? What world are you living in? I understand you like to make USA look bad in every sense of the way, but you're so far off here that anyone from that country would laugh in your face.

Last edited by burgler09; 01-27-2012 at 05:59 AM..

Old 01-27-2012, 02:23 PM

126 posts, read 168,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Despite that most of these countries have natural resources and hard working citizenry, the overall majority of them have languished far behind the top industrialized nations. Why is that? Is it the corruption? Is it a lack of brain power?
Every country which was formerly colonized by Spain is of 3rd world status. Why is that?
Once Spain lost its dominance of the seas, its colonies suffered just as much as Spain did. Trade, economic development and innovation was curtailed and dismantled in favor of English or American interests. Active and aggressive political destabilization driven by large economic American interests completely controlled politically and economically most of those countries.
As far as brain power, in the 9th century the Guatemalan indians had developed writing and lived in some of the largest and intricate cities of the world of its time. In contrast, German and English tribes of the time, were still worshiping trees and painting themselves green.
Spain during the Roman hegemony was considered an advance Roman province in fact Hadrian and Trajan two of Rome's best emperors were from Spain, while the German and Northic people at that time were considered Barbarians.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:12 PM

11 posts, read 18,139 times
Question for Burgler09:

Do you get paid to tell such lies?

If everybody in Venezuela hates Chavez, why was he re-elected? Before you try it, I will point out that elections in Venezuela are known to be more correct than those the US and most "first" world countries.

The same corrupt rich who were running things before Chavez are still trying desperately to oust Chavez and they (along with the corporate war mongers from the US and Europe) will do anything to make others believe that Chavez is a dictator and that everyone is suffering because of him. Same old propaganda.

The number living under the poverty line in Venezuela is half what it was before Chavez. The amount of oil revenue that stays in the country (and spent on the country) is up three to four hundred percent.

All the while the media, which is mostly still owned by the corrupt rich from the past, runs Chavez down regularly. Chavez originally tried to overthrow the oppressive puppet government that existed there because as a young military officer he couldn't agree with the use of military force against the population.

In the most recent coup attempt against Chavez, the people were very instrumental in stopping it because they don't want what they had before.

I am sure that Chavez is not perfect but he is far better than what would be if the puppets of corporate and oil interests get back in control.

So Burgler, why don't you try telling the truth,,,, or won't you be paid to do that?

Old 01-28-2012, 01:11 AM

22,116 posts, read 23,634,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
The underlying question here should be, why are most Latin American countries in such a state of despair and dissaray?

Despite that most of these countries have natural resources and hard working citizenry, the overall majority of them have languished far behind the top industrialized nations. Why is that? Is it the corruption? Is it a lack of brain power?

Every country which was formerly colonized by Spain is of 3rd world status. Why is that?

For example, I often think of Mexico's vast potential. Here's the world's 14th largest country with an abundance of natural resources, hard working people, two oceans, and a common border with the USA. Here is a country that has all the necessary elements to become Latin America's first 1st world country. Yet sadly, we all know what this amazing country has digressed into. It has squandered its potential and is not even the shadow of what it could potentially be.

There's a lot of reasons for it. One partial explanation involves the UK, the US, and France to some degree having greatly influenced their politics, and not always (or perhaps usually) with the best interests of the Latin American countries in mind. The US has unfortunately had a particularly ugly dealings in this.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There's a lot of reasons for it. One partial explanation involves the UK, the US, and France to some degree having greatly influenced their politics, and not always (or perhaps usually) with the best interests of the Latin American countries in mind. The US has unfortunately had a particularly ugly dealings in this.

Yeah, it is America's fault that Latin Americans have had corrupt officials for the last I don't know how many years. Let's blame America for everyone else's problems, seems fair enough, that way no one has to do anything or fix anything. Mexicans are no harder working than any other nation, it is just a dumb stereotype for illegal immigrant sympathizers to rationalize their belief.

When Latin Americans can stop being so corrupt their countries will do better, but until then, they will keep on doing their dealings with the narcoterrorists and keep on blaming the USA, because they can, because people fall in to it.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:08 AM

11 posts, read 18,139 times
Corruption is a big problem.

And when the people in a country rise up and kick out the corrupt scum and vote in one of their own. The scum from the north and Europe will try anything to turn it back around. Of course the most powerful weapon is manipulating the minds of the masses so they look justified in destroying what the people have fought for.

So, you have the main stream media,,,, the old standard which is starting to loose some of its effectiveness due to the internet,,,, and now we have the internet propaganda war. This is conducted in many ways,,, one of these ways is to pay people to write in forums such as this one to push their propaganda.

When I read some of the blatant lies here,,,, it is easy to think that some writers here are being paid to put up the lies. Nothing new, it is going on all over the internet forums.

Just like watching the propaganda on the TV, most of it doesn't stand up to logic or critical thinking.

A good example would be a comment I have read on this forum in which the writer claimed to have grown up in the oil region of Venezuela. Actually, for anyone who actually knows anything about the place and actually thought about what the person wrote it is clear that this person putting out blatant lies.

Not so different than Burgler's post above. No doubt blatant lies.

Now, the only question is why would these people lie?

I wonder how much money it takes to get people to promote ideas that could lead to the suffering (and or deaths) of many, including children.

Well, history is full of traitors and scum like these,,,, from time to time history shows that they pay the price for it. This will come about in the next years.

Disgusting shills, they would sell their children's future for chicken feed. Obviously lacking intelligence.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set the record straight. View Post
Question for Burgler09:

Do you get paid to tell such lies?

If everybody in Venezuela hates Chavez, why was he re-elected? Before you try it, I will point out that elections in Venezuela are known to be more correct than those the US and most "first" world countries.

The same corrupt rich who were running things before Chavez are still trying desperately to oust Chavez and they (along with the corporate war mongers from the US and Europe) will do anything to make others believe that Chavez is a dictator and that everyone is suffering because of him. Same old propaganda.

The number living under the poverty line in Venezuela is half what it was before Chavez. The amount of oil revenue that stays in the country (and spent on the country) is up three to four hundred percent.

All the while the media, which is mostly still owned by the corrupt rich from the past, runs Chavez down regularly. Chavez originally tried to overthrow the oppressive puppet government that existed there because as a young military officer he couldn't agree with the use of military force against the population.

In the most recent coup attempt against Chavez, the people were very instrumental in stopping it because they don't want what they had before.

I am sure that Chavez is not perfect but he is far better than what would be if the puppets of corporate and oil interests get back in control.

So Burgler, why don't you try telling the truth,,,, or won't you be paid to do that?
People trying to actually live outside a slum and not live off the government hate it. He killed business, crime has risen through the roof. You're obviously the person lying here, citizens are afraid to go to tourist destinations in their own country like Margarita island due to the crime and other problems. Let's not forget about the electricity problems and everything else that goes along with the problems.

I'm near positive you aren't from Venezuela, nor do you have much of an idea about what goes on there.. but I can tell you one thing, you're pretty far off. By calling my statements lies, is quite funny, but hey, you can sit around and say what you want, I don't care. It's obvious you have some sort of agenda.

Last edited by burgler09; 01-28-2012 at 03:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or