U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:29 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Agree with people that mentioned Ecuador. I know people that went and was stunned by it, and its not popular or advertised as a touristic destination, but its supposed to be beautiful and full of variety for being a relatively small country. I would love to go.

To me, Ecuador and Argentina are the most varied and underrated countries of LA.
Yep...Quito is such a beautiful historic city, and Guyaquil (actually most populous city in Ecuador) has it's own charm, with interesting colourful houses. You have snow-capped peaks on the equator, the Amazon rainforest, the Galapagos, all in an area the size of the United Kingdom. There's still a lot of native culture there, something I like about the western part of the continent.

It's supposed to be safe by South American standards too (emphasis on 'South American standards') and popular with tourists along with Peru. It must be popular as an English-teaching or Spanish-learning destination. In other ways it seems ignored for being so small though. Ecuador, Peru, Chile and Brazil seem like the most interesting nations in South America to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 07:31 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
You know what?

Latin America as a whole is an underrated continent...

But Latin Americans should not worry about it. We know how wonderful our continent really is. We should enjoy it, and not worry about what other people think...
South America is the most ignored continent. I hear more about Africa on the news. For me it's one of the most interesting, I love the geography and culture. I would love to travel there or even work and teach English/learn Spanish.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:28 AM

196 posts, read 359,961 times
Overrated - Chile
Underrated - Argentina

Old 02-15-2012, 06:17 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,557,252 times
Colombia is the most amazing country I have ever been to. Great wether, delicious food, super friendly people, incredible culture, very clean, crystaline beacher, etc. Mexico is just like Colombia but imagine that all of the beautiful women and friendly people are gone, all of the modern buildings have been demolished, and all the garbage cans have been emptied in the streets.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,083,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antma robel View Post
Overrated - Chile
Underrated - Argentina
Chile is a fantastic country with different places and attractions: Atacama Desert, a 4,000-miles coastline, valleys, mountains, the southern islands, Patagonia, 24/7 fun in Santiago and Viña del Mar/Valparaiso, etc. I could spend an entire day naming all the options a tourist have. The big "but" is that it takes a long time to go to these different places. From Santiago to Chiloe Island (a typical touristic destination during summer) it takes +12 hours driving. Someone could do wonders in Europe in the same time since everything is closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Chile has been experiencing social problems. There is a strong student movement against the neo-liberal dictatorship. On the one hand there is the kleptomaniac president Sebastián Piñera, who has piled up a fortune of two billion dollars, on the other there is the charismatic communist student leader Camila Vallejo, voted person of the year 2011 by the Guardian.
Sebastian Piñera was elected democratically, so calling his period a "dictatorship" is simply incorrect. Yes, there is a certain level of discomfort with his government because he has been the first right-wing president elected since Pinochet (70's) and all the memories of violations against human rights come to mind. Anyone taking decent time to do research about Chile knows that most people are "lefties".

Honestly, Piñera is part of the educated and privileged 5% that rules the country, but left-wing politicians are not precisely poor or uneducated either. Precisely all the corruption and scandals were the main reason why Chileans decided to vote for a right-wing candidate again.

Last edited by DFWgal; 02-17-2012 at 11:19 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 11:52 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,384,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
The underlying question here should be, why are most Latin American countries in such a state of despair and dissaray?

Despite that most of these countries have natural resources and hard working citizenry, the overall majority of them have languished far behind the top industrialized nations. Why is that? Is it the corruption? Is it a lack of brain power?

Every country which was formerly colonized by Spain is of 3rd world status. Why is that?

For example, I often think of Mexico's vast potential. Here's the world's 14th largest country with an abundance of natural resources, hard working people, two oceans, and a common border with the USA. Here is a country that has all the necessary elements to become Latin America's first 1st world country. Yet sadly, we all know what this amazing country has digressed into. It has squandered its potential and is not even the shadow of what it could potentially be.

Some food for thought: Before independence Colombia (then New Granada) was richer than the USA.

Comparing Mexico to the USA or Canada is like comparing apples and oranges. Those countries were satellite colonies created ex-profeso for the white man. A better comparison for Mexico would be India, Jamaica or Kenya.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:44 PM

189 posts, read 558,826 times
Overrated, Brazil. To many tourists, Rio de Janeiro is the whole Brazil. And seem to be blinded by it's beaches which are horribly crowded. Brazil is undeniably a beautiful nature lush country. And it's sad, 99% of Brazil is overlooked.

Underrated, Argentina. I would love to say Belize or Guyana, but Argentina is mostly being failed to noticed as a destination. Buenos Aires is a lovely romantic city, very different from all the Latin American cities. It's very sophisticated. It's like Paris minus the gabillions tourist.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:33 PM

2,735 posts, read 3,268,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There's a lot of reasons for it. One partial explanation involves the UK, the US, and France to some degree having greatly influenced their politics, and not always (or perhaps usually) with the best interests of the Latin American countries in mind. The US has unfortunately had a particularly ugly dealings in this.
In reading the above quote, it sounds to me like you are admitting that Latin America was "out slicked" by the UK, the US, and France. Is that what you're saying? Nothing wrong with admitting what one perceives. Should this be the case, then it's high time us Latin Americans found a way to compete with and overcome the forces which brought our countries to their knees. For example, let's focus on academic acheivement (especially in math and sciences), language proficiency, erradication of corruption, etc.

I use to subscribe to the theory that the USA was the prime culprit of Latin America's demise. Now that I've lived in the USA for 33 continuous years, I see things a little different.

Maybe I now see things differently because I'm older. Maybe I've grown fonder and am more accustomed of life here. Or, maybe it's the attitude/paradigm shift I see in the few Latin American new comers I meet. Of those few, most seem not to be interested in working hard (with the mind), dominating the English language, or being avid and active participants in general society. Most seem content with menial brainless jobs which require little to no English comprehension. Most appear to just want to get by, all the while justifying their illegal status and proclaming "how great things were back home." These lax/non-aggressive attitudes lead me to conclude that maybe we were not prepared to deal with those who arrived at our shores and out manuvered us with their uniform plans, "get-it-done" attitudes, vicious and avoracious greed, etc. Now that we know better, there is no excuse to fail.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:40 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,077,829 times
Brazil doesn't seem to be a big tourist spot for the Americans. I'd say northern Brazil is underrated. A lot of beautiful colonial towns and beaches.

Chile seems to be overrated.

Colombia is the most underrated country in all of SA. Cheap, variety (mountains, jungle, beautiful beaches, beautiful colonial towns, beautiful mountain cities, great nightlife and women).

Peru/Argentina are where they should be.

Venezuela and that part is just damn expensive for an American to go.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:28 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,604,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Brazil is known for its drugs..

Argentina, Chile and Uruguay are the only places I'd consider living in.. no arrogant assumptions here just based on research and a deep interest in the world!
When I think of drugs and corruption, I think of Colombia and Venezuela.

The only countries in S.A. I would voluntarily live in are, just like yours, but in this order:
- Uruguay
- Argentina
- Chile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or