U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 07:02 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times

Advertisements

I don't really think Colombia is worth risking it over. If you want rainforest you've got Brazil or even Peru and Ecuador, which are much more diverse, and safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:32 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,077,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't really think Colombia is worth risking it over. If you want rainforest you've got Brazil or even Peru and Ecuador, which are much more diverse, and safe.
It's more about what you get for your money.

Colombia has rainforests, the amazon. Argentina and Chile really don't.
Colombia has dramatic mountains, Brazil doesn't.
Colombia has beautiful beaches good for swimming, surfing, or diving. Ecuador and especially Peru the water is too cold.
Colombia has beautiful women and a good party culture.
Colombia is cheaper than most of those destinations.

To me as a first time tourist to SA I'd recommend Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Argentina in that order.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:34 PM

22,120 posts, read 23,642,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Weird that you say that given that there were multiple accounts already about how the crime in Colombia isn't actually so bad.

Have you been over there before?

I'm thinking about making a trip over this year because of some Colombian co-workers--they feel colombia's reputation for crime is exaggerated.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:00 PM

89 posts, read 237,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Spend one month in Brazil, and you will see how UNDERRATED this country is...
and also how expensive! love this country, the people, almost everything about it. But the cost of living in the big cities is absurd

Old 03-29-2012, 08:07 PM

53 posts, read 153,189 times
i feel Guatemala is a Underrated country, just saying

Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 PM

12 posts, read 28,625 times
I think there's no overrated country in the Latin America. It's not a very popular travel destination compare to the Carribean, Europe and Asia.
The whole region itself is underrated.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:09 PM

12 posts, read 18,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Brazil is known for its drugs..

Argentina, Chile and Uruguay are the only places I'd consider living in.. no arrogant assumptions here just based on research and a deep interest in the world!

...ignorance...

Old 03-29-2012, 10:12 PM

229 posts, read 340,987 times
Nicaragua for Underrated, Costa Rica for Overrated. Nicaragua is so much cheaper than Costa Rica. I was in Nica for 5 weeks (spanish immersion program) and one weekend, I went to Liberia, CR and the cost of everything was double or triple that of Nicaragua. In many places, a Costa Rican meal will cost closer to the same ammount in North America for the equivilant meal (but generally still cheaper). I went to both in Aug/Sept which is the low season so prices are reduced. The cost of a single room in a hotel (on weekends I explored and on weekdays I had classes and stayed with my host family in Granada) would be about $12-15 dollars wheras in Costa Rica, close to $20 was the norm for equvilant space. Plus one of the hotels in Esteli included breakfast (though I was robbed of a deal they had due to misinformation). In Nicaragua, you can travel by regular bus across the country for between $1-2.50 USD. the exchange rate is generally 1 dollar = 20 cordobas. 1 USD in Granada (a tourist town but its colonial and has a local feel to it) gets you atleast 1 hour of free internet/computer usage at even the most expensive of internet cafes (skype is about 50 cents extra at some places). You can get two Eskimo ice creams for $1, three corn on the cobs (only 6 cords which is like 25 or 30 cents), a bus ride to managua, or for $12, a ticket to Costa Rica or Honduras on a luxury international bus.

I don't hate Costa Rica, Rincon Vieja is beautiful, but I hate tourist areas. Pretty much everyone I met in CR spoke English, while I prefered to communicate in Spanish. To be fair to CR, if you visit Nica, avoid San Juan Del Sur. Its pretty much a tourist /spring break type town and another place where English is spoken too (meaning they assume you are some college kid or tourist who wants to party, drink, and surf all day). More than half the people in San Juan Del Sur are American, Canadian, or Western European. I went there the friday evening/saturday morning before my flight home the following day, just so I could see the Pacific Ocean. I'm glad I did my study in Granada..touristy but atleast some flavor). I would not go back to SJDS. But other parts of Nica are very affordable and very underrated.

Last edited by Glenview94602; 03-29-2012 at 10:23 PM..

Old 03-29-2012, 10:42 PM

81 posts, read 203,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAutumn View Post
I think there's no overrated country in the Latin America. It's not a very popular travel destination compare to the Carribean, Europe and Asia.
The whole region itself is underrated.
Agreed.....Latin America as whole is very underrated......you may find some people saying very nice things about one particular country, but they are the minority......most people just don't care about Latin America, they just ignore it, wich is pretty sad.......

Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 PM

229 posts, read 340,987 times
What do you all think about Honduras? I didn't get a chance to visit it. Has anyone here been?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or