U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM

10,553 posts, read 13,114,040 times

Advertisements

I think Uruguay is the most underrated country in South America. Most overrated? I guess Chile but it's still nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 AM

5,899 posts, read 8,412,321 times
most underrated its Argentina

Old 03-22-2013, 03:30 PM

2,720 posts, read 4,738,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
No crime at all?! can you provide some statistics to back that up.

Also, can you give us an unbiased source of information confirming the elevated quality of life for Cubans.
Yes it has the lowest crime rate. Just google it. It's not hard to find

Unbiased? Can you really find one anyway? The point is that even with all the chronic problems in Cuba there is relatively little chronic homeless or destitution.

If you actually listen to the people who've left Cuba they don't complain about lack of food it shelter they complain about not being able to go beyond a stable existence. They want more opportunities more freedom of enterprise.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:00 PM

758 posts, read 1,961,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Yes it has the lowest crime rate. Just google it. It's not hard to find

Unbiased? Can you really find one anyway? The point is that even with all the chronic problems in Cuba there is relatively little chronic homeless or destitution.

If you actually listen to the people who've left Cuba they don't complain about lack of food it shelter they complain about not being able to go beyond a stable existence. They want more opportunities more freedom of enterprise.
LOL. Sounds like you don't have much to go on but hearsay. I googled and found one odd travel site that advertised "low" crime rate, but not 'zero' crime rate.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:12 PM

2,720 posts, read 4,738,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
LOL. Sounds like you don't have much to go on but hearsay. I googled and found one odd travel site that advertised "low" crime rate, but not 'zero' crime rate.

I was in Cuba in 09 and it was relatively crime free. By zero I was comparing it to the test of Latin America. Of course there is some petty crime. I don't get why it shocks you that Cuba could have such a really low crime rate. Why do Americans think that Cuba is like Haiti or some third world country? It's hurt badly because of the embargo but it was able to maintain itself because of tourism.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:18 PM

13 posts, read 35,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
The underlying question here should be, why are most Latin American countries in such a state of despair and dissaray?

Despite that most of these countries have natural resources and hard working citizenry, the overall majority of them have languished far behind the top industrialized nations. Why is that? Is it the corruption? Is it a lack of brain power?

Every country which was formerly colonized by Spain is of 3rd world status. Why is that?

For example, I often think of Mexico's vast potential. Here's the world's 14th largest country with an abundance of natural resources, hard working people, two oceans, and a common border with the USA. Here is a country that has all the necessary elements to become Latin America's first 1st world country. Yet sadly, we all know what this amazing country has digressed into. It has squandered its potential and is not even the shadow of what it could potentially be.

Well Said!!

Old 04-27-2013, 04:23 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,848,433 times
Overrated :
Brazil
Venezuela
Argentina

Underrated :

Chile
Columbia
Peru
Paraguay
Uruguay

Old 04-27-2013, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
The underlying question here should be, why are most Latin American countries in such a state of despair and dissaray?

Despite that most of these countries have natural resources and hard working citizenry, the overall majority of them have languished far behind the top industrialized nations. Why is that? Is it the corruption? Is it a lack of brain power?

Every country which was formerly colonized by Spain is of 3rd world status. Why is that?

For example, I often think of Mexico's vast potential. Here's the world's 14th largest country with an abundance of natural resources, hard working people, two oceans, and a common border with the USA. Here is a country that has all the necessary elements to become Latin America's first 1st world country. Yet sadly, we all know what this amazing country has digressed into. It has squandered its potential and is not even the shadow of what it could potentially be.

Let me add the Philippines to that. It was also a Spanish colony and only one in Asia. It is exactly the same as Latin America where the gap between the rich and the poor is so big.
Corruption is one of the issues.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:47 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,165,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Let me add the Philippines to that. It was also a Spanish colony and only one in Asia. It is exactly the same as Latin America where the gap between the rich and the poor is so big.
Corruption is one of the issues.
I'd also love to know why every country colonized by my people have been failures and continue to be failures. I don't think my culture has made it a priority to export good government and citizenship to its colonies, unlike the UK to its colonies in the Americas (seems like they had a change of heart in Africa and the Middle East to India) and Oceania

Old 04-27-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'd also love to know why every country colonized by my people have been failures and continue to be failures. I don't think my culture has made it a priority to export good government and citizenship to its colonies, unlike the UK to its colonies in the Americas (seems like they had a change of heart in Africa and the Middle East to India) and Oceania
theunbrainwashed, you're Spanish ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or