U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities do you prefer?
Mexico City 22 28.57%
Buenos Aires 55 71.43%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 12:01 AM

251 posts, read 190,110 times

Advertisements

I have visited Buenos Aires but I have not yet visited CDMX.

While I was impressed by the architecture of Buenos Aires and I am sure that it is the most organized of all major cities in Latin America, I think Mexico City wins here for a variety of other reasons.

The Euro-Centric crowds will laud BsAs based upon its similarities to Europe. However, CDMX offers a very rich pre-columbian heritage. Mexico City is the oldest capital city in the Americas and one of only 2 established by native peoples (with a founding date of 1325).

The city was a metropolis of nearly 200,000 people at the time it was first encountered by Europeans in 1519 (far larger than any city in western Europe in the 16th century). The awesome part about this is that the relics of this great city still abound throughout the modern city of the 21st century. It truly sets CDMX apart from any other city in the Americas.

The other point I need to bring up is economic clout. CDMX is a wealthier city in the sense that it's metropolitan economy is much larger than that of Buenos Aires. Although BsAs may have the edge in slightly higher wages which results in a slightly better standard of living for it's inhabitants.

And the last point I need to bring up is weather. BsAs has a nasty climate of the humid pampa (similar to parts of southeastern US). Hot and sticky in the summer and the somewhat frigid in the winter. On the other hand, CDMX enjoys a more tmperate climate due to it's high elevation within the tropics.

Mexico City also boasts proximity to snow capped volcanos with glaciers and pine forests on the slopes of surrounding ridges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 11:00 AM

731 posts, read 1,187,869 times
Mexico City is one of my favorite cities in the world. The food, weather, parks, etc are all amazing. I could easily live there. I've never to Buenos Aires but hope to visit next year. It looks beautiful and I've only heard good things about it so I have high expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I've been to Buenos Aires twice and it's as far as Europe, in flying time.

I've been to Mexico City zero times, and it's "close by."
Sounds like a personal problem.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:39 AM

1,151 posts, read 950,739 times
I haven't lived in either, but I've enjoyed visiting both. I would lean toward MC for reasons similar to what sf_arkitect mentioned. However, I would be concerned about security in both, albeit much more so in MC. I know that people have different opinions on this subject, but my concern derives from talking to friends & neighbors from both cities.

If it weren't for the security concern, I would enjoy living in MC. For me, BA would be more fun just for an extended visit.

Last edited by madrone2k; 11-30-2017 at 11:48 AM..

Old 12-02-2017, 03:50 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,021,788 times
A worthy comparison, two appealing cities.

For me, I would tip my hat to Mexico City. Despite ugly sprawl, appalling traffic, polluted air, and high crime it still fascinates and attracts. I would not live there but it has a long, colorful (and sometimes sad) eventful history.
It was the oldest and richest colonial city in the Spanish Americas. The first New World university was here. It created the first scholars, architects, intellectuals. It was rich in New World architecture which brought over Spanish baroque but added a New World dimension and hybridization.
And you can see in the modern city layer upon layer of history, the massive Zocalo and magnificent cathedral, the grid iron colonial pattern of streets and the later wide boulevards, the shady neighborhoods, the splendid parks, the wonderful museums.
And with it all, the vibrant mixed culture of Mexico, the colors, music, and attractions.

Buenos Aires by contrast was a colonial backwater. It did not reach distinction until the very end of the 1800s, so there is very little of its colonial past visible. It developed into a prosperous (sometimes down at the heels) city full of interest and attraction. It is largely a European implant on Argentine soil. It reached intellectual prominence late in its history and often vies with Mexico City for "capital" of Latin America.

It certainly is safer than Mexico City and has more breathable air.

But Mexico City fascinates by its often still visible history and prominence, its crazy quilt of attractiveness and ugliness, its culture. It is a true hybrid. Both European and something indigenous yet totally original, unique.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:08 PM

2,265 posts, read 1,757,925 times
I already commented in another thread comparing these two big cities:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
If you're an US expat, i think you will fit better in Mexico City. Overall two very even major latin metropolis.

1) MXC has the better metro; BA a way bigger light rail network and a more complex bus system. Both cities are equally well connected with their most populated regions, but BA has a more friendly geography. BA layout is somewhat more organized.

2) Both are economic powerhouses in the region, but i would say MXC is more business friendly.

3) Both have among the best architecture you will find in LA. Obviously MXC has a longer-lived arch legacy. Both have nice modern areas, too.

4) Cost of living comparisons are very complex to find out. But definitely MXC is cheaper whilst BA has higher salaries. BA is somewhat safer.

5) MXC is very near to National Parks full of forests, wich is a plus. In the other hand, BA is in the shore of perhaps the widest river in the world and has the nice delta of Parana north of the metro.
I add that the climate of MXC is very nice and comfy, but don't overlook the air pollution there (BA's rivers are very polluted but its air quality is quite good for such a big city) and the fact that MXC has a humid season and it rains a LOT (on most days) during those fourth months, wich could become a bit annoying over time.

Last edited by marlaver; 12-02-2017 at 05:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or