U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:03 PM

350 posts, read 588,453 times

Advertisements

Never heard a local speak with a German accent here lol. White Trinidadians speak pretty normal. Here is one.

37 Days To Go Until London 2012 - Introducing Andrew Lewis (TRI) - YouTube

Old 06-06-2013, 03:05 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,954,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Never heard a local speak with a German accent here lol. White Trinidadians speak pretty normal. Here is one.

37 Days To Go Until London 2012 - Introducing Andrew Lewis (TRI) - YouTube
Oh funny he actually sounds Trinidadian!

Old 06-06-2013, 09:48 AM

497 posts, read 873,984 times
These "people" that think it odd are ignorant and not too bright. I wouldn't value too much their opinion on matters such as these.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:23 AM

578 posts, read 756,495 times
Quote:
based on all the comments in this video for example

My White Jamaican Dad (Original) - YouTube

Is it based on a lack of basic Caribbean and by extension Western Hemisphere history? In terms of immigrants, the whites actually came first and are the reason everyone else is there (except Amerindians of course). So they have some of the deepest Caribbean roots of all. I doubt any Caribbean person would find this video odd at all. And I find it particularly odd when North Americans find it weird as the Caribbean shares a broadly similar history to North and South America.
That's because people are ignorant and like to ASSume and fall into stereotype traps. Ignorance is a bliss. There hundreds of thousands and even millions of white Caribbean people.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:29 AM

578 posts, read 756,495 times
Trinidad has a lot of whites.

Martinique has a lot of whites as well as Guadeloupe

Old 07-27-2014, 10:07 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Interesting...

Old 07-27-2014, 10:35 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,929,882 times
Quote:
. I doubt any Caribbean person would find this video odd at all..

Actually it might surprise you to know that there are people in some Caribbean countries who "forget" that they are still around, because they aren't visible on a day to day basis. White Caribbean people do complain that some of their fellow country men assume them to be tourists, until they open their mouths.

Indeed most people will be surprised to find out that there are black Germans. In both instances we are talking about virtually invisible minorities. The image of the Anglophone Caribbean outside of the region is that of a majority black society. Trinidad has a low profile outside of the region because it isn't a traditional tourist destination.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
It's not about the percentages of whites at all.
Just the general history of the region. Who do people assume brought over all the black people? e.

The assumptions is that the people who brought the slaves all left. Or became blended into the rest of the population. Yes people know about the colonial history, but they also know that the colonial rulers no longer are there.

Look at the images of the Caribbean transmitted to the outside world and ask yourself how often does one see a white face that isn't that of a tourist.

Also your references are to the ENGLISH speaking Caribbean. People are fully aware that the Spanish speaking Caribbean is more mixed, and indeed a fully African person from those islands has the same problem in the USA, even from their own fellow countrymen.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:46 AM

350 posts, read 588,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Actually it might surprise you to know that there are people in some Caribbean countries who "forget" that they are still around, because they aren't visible on a day to day basis. White Caribbean people do complain that some of their fellow country men assume them to be tourists, until they open their mouths.

Indeed most people will be surprised to find out that there are black Germans. In both instances we are talking about virtually invisible minorities. The image of the Anglophone Caribbean outside of the region is that of a majority black society. Trinidad has a low profile outside of the region because it isn't a traditional tourist destination.
Maybe because I live in Port of spain which has a sizeable local white minority I don't find it odd. If I saw a white person walking on the streets of rural Trinidad though I would be surprised if they open their mouth and hear a Trini accent though for sure.

About black Germans I can understand people being surprised because they would have to be a more recent immigrant. That's quite the opposite for white Caribbean people. So I don't get why anyone would be surprised unless they were not aware of Caribbean/"New World" history to know that white people came "first"(after native American populations). That's the case for the entire Western Hemisphere more or less from Canada all the way down to Argentina

Old 07-27-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
My wife is from Barbados and tells me of the whites who live there, and they're pretty much accepted from what I can tell (the Caribbean does not have the same racial tensions as the US, despite shared history of slavery & indentured servitude). Also have a white brethren from Jamaica, from the St. Elizabeth parish which I understand had a community of German immigrants. I can't help thinking the pure white people whose heritage goes back to the 19th century on the island, don't have some form of interbreeding going on at this point...
Nice to finally see some non-PR Caribbean threads on this forum, BTW

I don't know that black and white Barbadians accept each other, as they move in completely different worlds, and have little to do with each other socially.

The issue is that Barbados is a majority black island with a majority black political leadership and a large black middle class, so there isn't the sense that white racism holds any one back, as will exist in the USA. A white owned company in Barbados will shoot themselves in the foot if they discriminate against blacks, because that is 90% of the population, and so provides the dominant pool of talent.

So you cant compare the attitudes of blacks in the USA with that of Barbados. Indeed Malcolm X, Farrakhan, and Stokely Carmichael all had Caribbean roots, and I don't think that too many will argue that their attitudes towards whites was much different from that of a more militant black American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or