U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:47 AM

350 posts, read 588,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
When I see Trinidad and Barbados, I see whites operating with a siege mentality. Why this is so is up to debate, as most people ignore them, sometimes even forgetting that they exist. A cousin who lives in Trinidad, explains that they are way more isolated than they were when she was in school in the 70s. Apparently they send their kids to the schools set up for expat kids.

These seem less so in Jamaica, where they seem to blend in more, maybe because every one knows that they no longer represent the wealth, Syrians do.
Their mentality is strange especially as you said most people ignore them. Syrians are the wealthiest Trinidadians too and we still have the whites behaving as they do.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:50 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Their mentality is strange especially as you said most people ignore them. Syrians are the wealthiest Trinidadians too and we still have the whites behaving as they do.

I think that it is a guilty conscience. I could have seen in the 70s when there was still talk about "massa day done", but today people don't have time for that.

What is funny is that whites from nations, where race is much more of an issue than it is in the Caribbean, often interact more with the population at large than many Caribbean whites do, especially in T'dad and Barbados. Indeed there is an element who go down PRECISELY because they like Caribbean people.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:32 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,628,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpinel View Post
Except "the always loyal Island of Cuba", most Caribbean islands were sugar factories and white population was negligible.

Right; Spain, US occupation and later governments always tried to "whiten" the island. Problem is that whites sticked to citys and needed "sugar cutters" were mostly blacks, and white sugar cutters had unions.

The term Caribbean applies to non-Spanish Caribbean.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:34 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,628,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
In Miami, there have been a few occasions where I'd meet a very Chinese-looking person, who would be speaking English with a very very strong Caribbean accent, as opposed to the expected Chinese accent. I always found that quite interesting as well.

In Miami, most Chinese restaurants were at a time Cantonese-Cuban. Cuba had a very large Chinese colony, almost 5 percent of the population. Most are in the US, along with most whites, Jews, Syrians, etc.

The "Chinese Town" in Havana is a ghost town, as the rest of the city, most Chinese left. Mixed Chinese and Chinese in Havana preserved their culture, there's a Chinese Theater, a Chinese Pharmacy and "Chinese" remedies are popular.

They also have a presence in Cuban food, there's a Cuban Fried Rice, etc, etc.

Last edited by Miserere; 08-03-2014 at 06:44 AM..

Old 08-03-2014, 09:57 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
In Miami, most Chinese restaurants were at a time Cantonese-Cuban. Cuba had a very large Chinese colony, almost 5 percent of the population. Most are in the US, along with most whites, Jews, Syrians, etc.

The "Chinese Town" in Havana is a ghost town, as the rest of the city, most Chinese left. Mixed Chinese and Chinese in Havana preserved their culture, there's a Chinese Theater, a Chinese Pharmacy and "Chinese" remedies are popular.

They also have a presence in Cuban food, there's a Cuban Fried Rice, etc, etc.
That's pretty cool...had no idea. It gives me an even stronger desire than I already have, to visit Cuba someday.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:58 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,732,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
One of the topics that I have tried to get information on is the attitudes of white Caribbean people in terms of their role in our colonial history. As you well know a non wealthy white Caribbean person is hard to find in the English speaking Caribbean, and this isn't because all whites were always wealthy. Alexander Hamilton (who most Americans have no idea is a West Indian, born in the island of Nevis, and raised in St Croix) was an example of poor whites leaving the Caribbean.

The question is to the extent to which they feel a pressure every time we learn about slavery in school, knowing that in many instances, their ancestors were involved. Their role in fostering the skin color hierarchy that lasted even past independence (and some might claim isn't completely gone).

They are a minority group, economically strong, but politically weak as they lack the numbers. So they must form alliances with others to protect their business interests.

When I see Trinidad and Barbados, I see whites operating with a siege mentality. Why this is so is up to debate, as most people ignore them, sometimes even forgetting that they exist. A cousin who lives in Trinidad, explains that they are way more isolated than they were when she was in school in the 70s. Apparently they send their kids to the schools set up for expat kids.

These seem less so in Jamaica, where they seem to blend in more, maybe because every one knows that they no longer represent the wealth, Syrians do.
I have a large number of relatives living in Barbados, Bequia, Grenada, St Lucia etc. -- never felt a "siege mentality" from any of them. They range from very "non-wealthy" to the other end of the spectrum. Pretty hard to be under siege when you're related to a good part of the population.

But it's really more complicated than that - - they have long and strong ties to the islands and aren't really going anywhere -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or