Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do most people care what US Americans think of their society?
Yes (I'm US American) 7 31.82%
No (I'm US American) 12 54.55%
Yes (I'm not US American) 1 4.55%
No (I'm not US American) 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:03 AM

10,079 posts, read 14,952,774 times

Advertisements

This forum is visited mostly by US Americans and other people that live in the US, and in this part of the forum we mostly see opinions of US Americans about other American societies. This brings to light a simple but powerful question which is:

Do most people care what US Americans think of their society?

Do most US Americans care what other people think about US society?

Do you think most people have an accurate opinion of what other societies are like?

What do you make of people that insist on pushing their opinions of another society when you know they simply don't get it?

What do you make of non-native people of your culture that insist on pushing their opinion about your culture, even after you tried to correct them of their misconception? What about foreigners that think they know your culture better than you do when in fact they don't?

Feel free to expand on any or all of the questions presented here and add a few extra descriptions of experiences you have had with hardheaded people that think they know when they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 10:42 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
I'm US American. I don't care what others think of us except I have a low tolerance for lies that are frequently stated about the USA. So many people think they know more about the USA than the people that live here, it's frustrating. The only that's needed to know is that people continue to flock here and not other places.

I like Mexicans but not their government are officials which are corrupted. The Mexicans are holding a USA citizen that accidentally drove into Mexico and turned around....meanwhile, we allow million of their citizens to cross our border, work, get free healthcare, education, and welfare. We are a good neighborhood to them but they don't reciprocate.

I'm fascinated by the Andes and the native culture there and desperately want to visit Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:58 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
This forum is visited mostly by US Americans and other people that live in the US, and in this part of the forum we mostly see opinions of US Americans about other American societies. This brings to light a simple but powerful question which is:

Do you think most people have an accurate opinion of what other societies are like?

What do you make of people that insist on pushing their opinions of another society when you know they simply don't get it?

What do you make of non-native people of your culture that insist on pushing their opinion about your culture, even after you tried to correct them of their misconception? What about foreigners that think they know your culture better than you do when in fact they don't?

Feel free to expand on any or all of the questions presented here and add a few extra descriptions of experiences you have had with hardheaded people that think they know when they don't.
With 400 million Americans (or however there are of us), you'll get 400 million answers. We aren't a monolithic group who all think the same.

IN GENERAL, 'MOST' wouldn't even be interested in this thread. 'Most' of the others from other countries wouldn't be interested in either, so that's not a uniquely American thing, it's just that only SOME people are interested in SOME things, across the board.

In my opinion, I think you started this thread, as there is some American or two or three out there, who simply don't see your culture/society, in the way that you see your society/culture. If so, I think that is a universal phenomenon. In general, I notice that very very few people nationally or internationally, see my own society/culture in the way that I see my own society/culture either.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:17 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:

What's this "US American" and American COuntries non-sense? You could have just been honest with everyone here and worded your OP "United Statesians' Opinions about other American Countries"

Old 08-02-2014, 09:32 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
What's this "US American" and American COuntries non-sense? You could have just been honest with everyone here and worded your OP "United Statesians' Opinions about other American Countries"
Exactly! An obvious ulterior motive here. It's this type of buffoonery that's been getting threads locked recently. I'll just wait for this one to be.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:50 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
what are US Americans or Brazilian Americans?

Last edited by Botev1912; 08-02-2014 at 10:00 AM..

Old 08-02-2014, 10:17 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm US American. I don't care what others think of us except I have a low tolerance for lies that are frequently stated about the USA. So many people think they know more about the USA than the people that live here, it's frustrating. The only that's needed to know is that people continue to flock here and not other places.

I like Mexicans but not their government are officials which are corrupted. The Mexicans are holding a USA citizen that accidentally drove into Mexico and turned around....meanwhile, we allow million of their citizens to cross our border, work, get free healthcare, education, and welfare. We are a good neighborhood to them but they don't reciprocate.

I'm fascinated by the Andes and the native culture there and desperately want to visit Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina.

You see comments like in bold get on my nerves from Americans. You think your country is somehow the only Country that is modern and progressive.

Americans live a lie that their country is perfect and other countries are somehow lesser.

Many people flock to France, UK, Sweden, Netherlands, Canada and Australia in DROVES, too.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:44 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
That's true. USA has many problems, a lot of them don't exist in Europe. Europe has different problems that don't exist in the US though.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:16 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,904,452 times
Quote:

I think this issue goes both ways & then some in ALL directions.

And aren't you a U.S. American?

Old 08-03-2014, 12:27 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
You see comments like in bold get on my nerves from Americans. You think your country is somehow the only Country that is modern and progressive.

Americans live a lie that their country is perfect and other countries are somehow lesser.

Many people flock to France, UK, Sweden, Netherlands, Canada and Australia in DROVES, too.
That's a pet peeve of mine as well.

Particularly when I look at all the deficiencies of the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas