U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 10:51 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,484,166 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone here knew much about public feelings on the subject of the Monarchy in the Carribean Commonwealth realms where Queen Elizabeth is the head of state. In Jamaica, for example, is there a big movement to become a republic as there is in Australia? Are people more apathetic about the Monarchy as they are in Canada, valuing it as a constitutional check and link to the country's heritage, but for the most part not giving it very much thought? Or is it more like the UK, with some abolitionists, but for the most part people paying alot of attention to Royals as celebrities, and caring alot about the institution? I'm just curious as to general ideas regarding the institution in the various nations, and if sentiment differs at all between them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 10:54 PM

22,234 posts, read 23,652,489 times
There was a survey conducted in Jamaica which discovered that the majority would rather be under British rule again.. and whenever the Queen visits places like Jamaica the residents always appear to be very happy and 'oh come over here please!!!'..

Still, the Jamaican government is actually going to become a republic regardless of what they want/

Old 02-06-2012, 07:16 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Did not know Jamaica was not a republic yet, interesting.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:28 AM

12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times
There's still alot of respect for the monarchy in Barbados as well...I doubt they would be willing to get rid of it anytime soon, either.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 AM

489 posts, read 1,050,998 times
Many islands are still British Overseas Territories like Anguilla, Cayman islands, turks and caicos, the British Virgin island and Montserrat. It will be interesting if any of these island will become independent, though I doubt Montserrat will ever become independent due to them losing most of their population.

Dominica, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana (considered a Caribbean nation) are already Republics.

Jamaica is pushing to be a republic, they want it to happen by their 50th anniversary of Independence, which is later this year.

Barbados is interesting, there have been talks about becoming a republic. Mostly the younger generation is in favour for the replubic, but there are still a lot of people that think that Barbados will go to hell in a hand basket if it gives up the monarchy. Barbados may push for a republic after QEII, but I won't hold my breathe, they still hold that "Little England" attitude.

I'm not sure how the other islands feel individually, but collectively a lot of people thoughout the Caribbean think that "we" should sever the ties.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:10 AM

706 posts, read 1,806,996 times
Countries like Sweden and Netherlands still have a monarchy, and it doesn't seem to bother enough people there to make any ripples.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:16 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,457,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Did not know Jamaica was not a republic yet, interesting.
I know, me to. But I found this:
Jamaica to become a republic, prime minister pledges | World news | guardian.co.uk

Also from the same article:
The move reflects an accelerating drift towards republicanism among Commonwealth Caribbean countries. Guyana and Trinidad and Tobago have both dropped the Queen as head of state, while opting to remain in the Commonwealth.

So I guess you can drop Liz, but still be in the commonwealth (a la Grenada and Trinidad)

Old 02-06-2012, 08:17 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,457,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
Countries like Sweden and Netherlands still have a monarchy, and it doesn't seem to bother enough people there to make any ripples.
But they're not in the Caribbean are they.. which is the point of this thread.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 AM

489 posts, read 1,050,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I know, me to. But I found this:
Jamaica to become a republic, prime minister pledges | World news | guardian.co.uk

Also from the same article:
The move reflects an accelerating drift towards republicanism among Commonwealth Caribbean countries. Guyana and Trinidad and Tobago have both dropped the Queen as head of state, while opting to remain in the Commonwealth.

So I guess you can drop Liz, but still be in the commonwealth (a la Grenada and Trinidad)
The Majority of countries in the commonwealth are Republics.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:41 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,324,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
But they're not in the Caribbean are they.. which is the point of this thread.
Aruba, Bonaire, half of St. Maarten and Curacao are Dutch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or