U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:17 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,113,454 times

Advertisements

I have experience with Belize I would be happy to share. My wife is from Belize, so we visit. I can confirm that most of Belize is gritty, however, just like another poster said it also has touristy areas such as San Pedro and Placencia, and private resorts on the mainland and in the Caribbean sea.

You will see many different cultures in Belize. Mestizo in the north, Garifuna in the Dangriga town area, Maya Indian, Mennonite, and Coolie (what my wife is) in the Southern/Punta Gorda area. It is not unusual to see horse drawn wagons with Mennonites, or Maya people washing their clothes in a river or stream. There are people who live rather primitively, and also people who live relatively modern.

You will also notice that many of the people of Belize have many British and American influences. They watch American television, and use American products. They also use many products from Guatemala.

I think you will have a great time. When I go I do not stay in the tourist areas, however, I have been to some of them. We stay with my wife's family in Punta Gorda.

As for acceptance, the majority of grocery/market owners in Belize are Chinese, although they are a small percentage of the population. Some Belizeans think the success of the Chinese comes at the expense of other ethnic groups, however, many realize that the Chinese in Belize are hard workers and have earned their success. I don't think you will have much of an issue with acceptance, but you may experience mild resentment from a few.

If you are interested in a fishing trip, let me make a suggestion.

Garbutt's Marine & Fishing Lodge Home

A family friend, the Garbutt's know their stuff. They own a private island called Lime Caye too.

Edited to add: You won't find any fast food places other than a Subway in Belize City, and no Wal-Mart. There is a place similar to Wal-Mart before the Supercenter came about, and that is Brodie's. You will find 2 Brodie's in Belize City and 1 in Belmopan. If you are passing through you may want to stop and get some things that may be hard to find elsewhere.

Last edited by jhadorn; 02-13-2012 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: Though of something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 5,121 times
How safe is it to travel Belize?

Glad to hear Walmart does not exist in Belize. That store is a disgrace.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammergeier View Post
How safe is it to travel Belize?

Glad to hear Walmart does not exist in Belize. That store is a disgrace.
It is relatively safe outside of Belize City. You still need to use caution, just as you would traveling anywhere. Tourists can be targeted, and there are a different set of rules for non Belizeans.

My wife and I walked from Nerrie's Restaurant to Novelo's Bus terminal in Belize City once without incident, however, it probably isn't advised. Most crime in Belize City, as with crime in other parts of the country, are drug or gang related.

Use common sense, don't go into the bad areas of Belize City (actually, don't spend much time in Belize City because the interesting things are in the rest of the country anyway), and travel with a local/locals or in groups if possible.

These links will help.

Belize

Belize travel advice

The Rules Are Different

If you go with an open mind, don't expect things to be the same as they are in the United States, and look for the good things instead of focusing on the bad then you will have a good time.

I have never been to San Pedro, but my wife says it is nice. I have been to Placencia and really enjoyed it.

Last edited by jhadorn; 02-14-2012 at 08:37 AM..

Old 02-19-2012, 09:09 AM

388 posts, read 746,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I have experience with Belize I would be happy to share. My wife is from Belize, so we visit. I can confirm that most of Belize is gritty, however, just like another poster said it also has touristy areas such as San Pedro and Placencia, and private resorts on the mainland and in the Caribbean sea.

You will see many different cultures in Belize. Mestizo in the north, Garifuna in the Dangriga town area, Maya Indian, Mennonite, and Coolie (what my wife is) in the Southern/Punta Gorda area. It is not unusual to see horse drawn wagons with Mennonites, or Maya people washing their clothes in a river or stream. There are people who live rather primitively, and also people who live relatively modern.

You will also notice that many of the people of Belize have many British and American influences. They watch American television, and use American products. They also use many products from Guatemala.

I think you will have a great time. When I go I do not stay in the tourist areas, however, I have been to some of them. We stay with my wife's family in Punta Gorda.

As for acceptance, the majority of grocery/market owners in Belize are Chinese, although they are a small percentage of the population. Some Belizeans think the success of the Chinese comes at the expense of other ethnic groups, however, many realize that the Chinese in Belize are hard workers and have earned their success. I don't think you will have much of an issue with acceptance, but you may experience mild resentment from a few.

If you are interested in a fishing trip, let me make a suggestion.

Garbutt's Marine & Fishing Lodge Home

A family friend, the Garbutt's know their stuff. They own a private island called Lime Caye too.

Edited to add: You won't find any fast food places other than a Subway in Belize City, and no Wal-Mart. There is a place similar to Wal-Mart before the Supercenter came about, and that is Brodie's. You will find 2 Brodie's in Belize City and 1 in Belmopan. If you are passing through you may want to stop and get some things that may be hard to find elsewhere.
I thank you very much for all this, we were thinking of more native style visiting not the touristy areas because to be frank, we may move there, not sure yet, that's why the visits and in the bad time of year to see the weather first hand, haha, never did like wal-mart anyway, also, we were never going to go to Belize city, we thought it would be to much like Bei jing and you now say we are right, , there are places I wouldn't advise walking in Bei jing at night or during the day for that matter.
So there are Chinese that live there, this is good news for wife, she'll be able to talk with them and haggle, ( national past time in China ) as far as the resentment part, ha, I get that now when we go to China, me being a Lao wei .
I am thinking maybe a fishing trip would be good for me hahaha, thanks for that link, I saved it to bookmarks so I can find it later, where is Punta Gorda?, the place sounds like paradise.
I would still like to see San Pedro and Placecia also to compare the cost of living with places like Punta Gorda and the little towns of Corozal.
Thanks for all the Info jhadorn.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong View Post
I thank you very much for all this, we were thinking of more native style visiting not the touristy areas because to be frank, we may move there, not sure yet, that's why the visits and in the bad time of year to see the weather first hand, haha, never did like wal-mart anyway, also, we were never going to go to Belize city, we thought it would be to much like Bei jing and you now say we are right, , there are places I wouldn't advise walking in Bei jing at night or during the day for that matter.
So there are Chinese that live there, this is good news for wife, she'll be able to talk with them and haggle, ( national past time in China ) as far as the resentment part, ha, I get that now when we go to China, me being a Lao wei .
I am thinking maybe a fishing trip would be good for me hahaha, thanks for that link, I saved it to bookmarks so I can find it later, where is Punta Gorda?, the place sounds like paradise.
I would still like to see San Pedro and Placecia also to compare the cost of living with places like Punta Gorda and the little towns of Corozal.
Thanks for all the Info jhadorn.
Punta Gorda (PG as the locals call it) is in the southern part of the country, in the Toledo district. I forgot to mention that PG has a sizable Garifuna population as well.

PG has no beaches, and is a agricultural and fishing village. Placencia may be more of the paradise you are looking for.

Here are a few pictures of PG we took on our last trip to Belize.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/59467_480326087432_538832432_6565250_6905673_n.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by jhadorn; 02-20-2012 at 09:25 AM..

Old 02-20-2012, 09:33 AM

Placencia

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/47311_480332792432_6664921_n.jpg (broken link)http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/59348_480333022432_538832432_6565511_1539922_n.jpg (broken link)http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/47820_480331807432_538832432_6565462_889575_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-22-2012, 02:40 PM

Thanks so much for the info and the beautiful photos

Old 02-27-2012, 07:39 PM

740 posts, read 1,762,173 times
I have spent quite a few months in Belize. It is a beautiful little country with a very young population. Keep in mind that the entire country MIGHT have a population of 250,000 and they have a really young average age. I never felt unsafe throughout my travels, but always avoided Belize City where most of the crime does occur.

My favorite area has to be San Ignacio which is the jungle area fairly close to the Guatemalan border. If Mayan ruins are your thing, then taking a day trip to Tikal, Guatemala is the way to go. Very beautiful ruins and quite expansive in size. I am now in Ecuador and have been here for quite some time, and I saw more wildlife in its natural habitat in Belize than I have in Ecuador.

Lots of beautiful caves in Belize as well and if you are a fan of diving and fishing, then Belize is hard to beat.

You may also want to check out Ecuador. I highly recommend the country and I am now living here. Very affordable and nice people.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:58 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,182,300 times
Bumped for more info for another poster.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:06 AM

Hi all, meant to return to this a little while ago but forgot, sorry, we went to Belize and had a wonderful time, we went to Corozal town and had a wonderful time, we stayed in San Pedro for a two week stay and looked around some, went diving, first time my wife seen fish so colorful in natural setting, she got so excited she tried to talk under water, wasn't real funny..... LMAO, went to see Chetumal, Mexico, that was interesting to say the least, we went to the Southwind Re/max on Ambergris Caye and have bought two lots side by side and have decided to build our retirement home there on the beach, on the Caribbean sea, can't wait to retunr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas