U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,150,738 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry to say this (all the more that the author is not of this world anymore) but after reading about two pages of Joe Bageant anti american rant (Garifuna indians are good people, contrary to the US Government made of thugs, etc) I gave up. There are no facts about Belize in this piece of "crap". The guy has clearly a huge unresolved issue with his own country. Sad in my book.Thanks God Wikipedia is at hand!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,178,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I'm sorry to say this (all the more that the author is not of this world anymore) but after reading about two pages of Joe Bageant anti american rant (Garifuna indians are good people, contrary to the US Government made of thugs, etc) I gave up. There are no facts about Belize in this piece of "crap". The guy has clearly a huge unresolved issue with his own country. Sad in my book.Thanks God Wikipedia is at hand!
Heh. I made it about 2/3rds of the way through before I finally couldn't take any more of his "everyone whose lifestyle is different from mine is an a-hole" shtik.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:03 AM

111 posts, read 198,632 times
To each his own - but the Garifuna are great people - one only needs a week down there to realize that. And, the American's have ruined Placentia - which is true. HGTV has promoted this area and San Ignacio for a couple of years. Fortunately San Ignacio will not follow Placentia down that evil road.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 PM

Here's more from Macarena Rose (made infamous by HGTV) Expats in Belize, Central America - Living Abroad Information and expatriate resources - The Blog

Old 03-14-2013, 11:01 PM

3,192 posts, read 2,641,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider42 View Post
The largest farms in the country are operated by Quakers and Mennonites - NOT Amish!!!
Yes, there are quite a few Mennonites in Belize. They are very industrious people and definitely worth seeing if a community is near where you will be staying. The community I saw was Shiprock near Orange Walk.

For northern Belize, the chinese ran most of the commerce and the mennonites ran a significant portion of the industry. They did automotive work, made concrete, were the lumber supply, and grew most of the vegetables for the area.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:58 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong View Post
Thinking of going to San Pedro, Belize, any one been there and what are your thoughts.
I have never been myself, but a co-worker of mine goes fairly regularly. He says the scuba diving and Mayan ruins are spectacular. However, he did say the city was kind of rough and wouldn't recommend it. He goes strictly for the beach, reef and ruins, and generally stays on one of the islands.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:05 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,150,738 times
Are Ambergris and Caulker Cay secure ?

Old 03-15-2013, 10:08 AM

974 posts, read 1,828,787 times
Never been but have a visit coming up soon. Placencia, San Ignacio and Caye Caulker.
I would think the more touristy-areas like Ambergris Caye & Caye Caulker are probably the more tourist-friendly.
It would be in the area's best-interests to have a good security in the tourist areas.

Everything I've read about Belize City indicate that it's not ideal for random tourism so we will avoid it for that reason. Too bad for the city but when a place has such a reputation, you'd be foolish not to consider it as bearing some truth.

But no matter where you travel, Belize or in the states; bad things can happen anywhere. Develop a good sense of situational awareness and pay attention to who and what's around you. Be smart and be safe.

Good luck!

Old 03-15-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I have never been myself, but a co-worker of mine goes fairly regularly. He says the scuba diving and Mayan ruins are spectacular. However, he did say the city was kind of rough and wouldn't recommend it. He goes strictly for the beach, reef and ruins, and generally stays on one of the islands.
San Pedro was until McAfee killed his neighbor. There have been a few more killings this past year, most of which are ignored. The ruins are nowhere close to San Pedro. That requires a flight back to the mainland, and a reputable operator to sell you the tour. I've always used Maya Airways for both.

Caye Caulker is a self contained resort complex. One doesn't just arrive there.

In respect to the crime rate - there's about 312,000 people (mostly Garifuna, Meztizo, Arawak & Caribes) living in an area of 22900 sq km slightly smaller than Massachusetts. That works out to about 14 people/sq km. There were 145 killings last year. Compare these figures to a similar size area and number of people in your home area

https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentRe...aspx?cid=12320

Last edited by ghostrider42; 03-15-2013 at 04:13 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 05:15 PM

6,201 posts, read 6,361,382 times
Is the amount of crime comparable to Dominican Republic, Mexico, or Puerto Rico and Costa Rica? If it is more like Puerto Rico, and Costa Rica I would not worry too much.

Is it an expensive place to visit? I would like to go there too. I heard of a resort called Hamanasi. Anyone know of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas