U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:54 PM

986 posts, read 3,465,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I wonder how much of it depends on specific neighbourhoods.
Exactly. I would feel very safe in Leblon, Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) nowadays, but would definitely feel uneasy if walking in the middle of Liberty City or Overtown, in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 09:14 PM

17,451 posts, read 21,289,337 times
How you present yourself, what image you project, while walking around at night anywhere, makes a huge difference! A presentation of fearlessness will go a long way with anyone, in any country!

Potential robbers/muggers have keen senses of who are the best potential victims, if they pick up on your fears, they'll take advantage of it.

I've traveled to a great number of 3rd world countries, walking at night, but it must be how I present myself that has kept me from getting involved in any dangerous situations.

If I can survive 70 trips to Tijuana, over the years, walking about the "dangerous" Zona Norte district until 4am, it's got to be the image I project of fearlessness that has helped save me.

No, I don't think Latin America is any more dangerous than anywhere else.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:24 PM

497 posts, read 875,103 times
I think a lot of people here are comparing the nicest suburb in the nicest city in X L.American country, and comparing it to some dangerous little cranny in a shady city in America. That's not fair. When I was in Costa Rica and Panama, I didn't feel 'unsafe', but in a comparable city of its size in the US (Panama City, San Jose, Bataan, Limon) I definitely would not have been on edge. Perhaps part of the reason that Latin America seems more dangerous is the fact that people there are quicker to compare themselves to the US, which is not fair to themselves. From what I understand, Africans compare their country to other African countries, so the field is more 'leveled.' Guyanese people shouldn't compare their safety to Americans. It isn't fair to them.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:00 PM

986 posts, read 3,465,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
How you present yourself, what image you project, while walking around at night anywhere, makes a huge difference! A presentation of fearlessness will go a long way with anyone, in any country!

Potential robbers/muggers have keen senses of who are the best potential victims, if they pick up on your fears, they'll take advantage of it.

I've traveled to a great number of 3rd world countries, walking at night, but it must be how I present myself that has kept me from getting involved in any dangerous situations.

If I can survive 70 trips to Tijuana, over the years, walking about the "dangerous" Zona Norte district until 4am, it's got to be the image I project of fearlessness that has helped save me.

No, I don't think Latin America is any more dangerous than anywhere else.
Agreed, that's also a big factor, definitely.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:39 AM

61 posts, read 56,209 times
The question is crazy.

The distance between Mexican California and Uruguay (not the farthest point) is roughly 10000 kilometers. That's like the distance between Spain and Vietnam.

Would you speak of "security" on Eurasia as a whole? Is the same Germany that North Korea?

On some places in Latin America, anybody can leave his house and car unlocked, build houses without walls or fences, windows without grille, and leave his belongings anywhere without fear of them being stolen.

On other places of Latin America, criminals hang bodies on bridges, and heads are routinely severed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or